shape
carat
color
clarity

Hey Canadians, Name Change?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
Hey fellow Canucks,

Can anyone give me insight into the Fiancee changing her last name to her man''s last name?

The Fiancee saw that a package is for sale on the internet providing forms and telling you everything you need to do. Seems to me, that they''re charging for information that should be freely available (but probably scattered across a few government websites).

Does anyone know what needs to be done? I thought I read that you can just "assume" the husband''s last name without applying for a legal name change?

Thanks.

Z.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
What you sign your marriage certificate with is what your legal name becomes. So if she signs. Mrs. such and such, then she legally becomes Mrs. such and such... if she decides to be Mrs. maiden-such and such, then she signs Mrs. maiden name - such and such and if she decides to be mrs. maiden name, that is what she signs. If she decides to change her name or hyphenate, all she needs is a copy of the marriage certificate to change her name on things like her driver''s license, bank account, etc.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
When I saw the title of this thread, I wondered if maybe Canada was changing ITS name!
9.gif

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, FTLOD!

Patty, I thought that as I was typing the subject, but didn''t know what else to put.

Z.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
What FTLOD says is not necessarily so! My Quebcois friends tell me that by law, women maintain their original surnames upon marraige. I can write someone and find out for sure though (about Quebec). Phone city hall Z, as they have a JP there to perform civil ceremonies and the JP should know what the procedure is for your province. When you find out, let me know what to do!

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Here's the information from the Hamilton website:

Name Change Options as a Result of Marriage

The Bride or Groom have three options following the marriage with respect to use of last name (surname).

Continue to use his/her current last name. The spouse who wishes to keep his/her current legal last name needs to take no action. Ontario Law does not require a spouse to change his/her last name upon marriage.

Upon marriage, either spouse may assume the other's legal last name. It can be used alone or can be hyphenated with their legal last name. It is not unlawful to use your spouse's legal last name, provided it is not for fraudulent purposes. Your Record of Marriage or a Marriage Certificate will be required to change any identification.

You can elect to legally change your last name as a result of marriage. If you legally change you name within 90 days after your marriage, there is no fee. It is important to note that this process is done through the Office of the Registrar General and will amend your original birth registration (certificate).

An application for a name change can be obtained from the Office of the Registrar General and if the name change is not the result of marriage or is not within 90 days, a fee will apply.

Please contact the Office of the Registrar General at 1-800-461-2156 for further information or click here to visit their website http://www.cbs.gov.on.ca/mcbs/english/change_name.htm

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Gale. I was looking at various websites, but nothing was as clear as what you posted.

And big congrats! (or Best Wishes!, if you''re picky on the formalities) Read your post elsewhere that said that you were proposed to not long ago.

Z.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Z. We''re having a long engagement, tentatively planning for Oct 2006. I can''t believe how easy this info was to find on the Hamilton web site. They have a whole page on the formalities related to getting married. It took less than 5 minutes to find. I don''t know what the TO city site is like though. So, when are you and your fiancee getting married?

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
We''re getting married, Sept. 2005.

Originally, we were thinking March 2005, but that was too aggressive a timeline. I notice time has been accelerating lately. It''s scary.

Z.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
oops sorry! I''m Canadian, but married to an American. I thought it would be the same.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
FTLOD - I am about to marry an American! What state are you in, if you don''t mind my curiosity?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results