shape
carat
color
clarity

Hermes or Burberry?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

swl

Shiny_Rock
Hi all!

My friend is turning 21 this month, I want to give her something really nice. My budget is around 350-400. Since 21 marks the beginning of her adulthood, I want to get her something classic and especially precious. I can't decide between an Hermès silk scarf or a traditional Burberry check scarf.

I need your opinion! Thanks!
26.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 2:19:48 AM
Author:swl
Hi all!

My friend is turning 21 this month, I want to give her something really nice. My budget is around 350-400. Since 21 marks the beginning of her adulthood, I want to get her something classic and especially precious. I can''t decide between an Hermès silk scarf or a traditional Burberry check scarf.

26.gif
No contest, Hermes scarf.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hermes. Like Lorelei said, no question. Hermes just strikes me as an exceptionally high quality classic scarf (so is Burberry of course) and I think a silk scarf signifies more of that "adult, classy" kind of feeling than a Burberry check scarf.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 5:40:49 AM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
Hermes. Like Lorelei said, no question. Hermes just strikes me as an exceptionally high quality classic scarf (so is Burberry of course) and I think a silk scarf signifies more of that 'adult, classy' kind of feeling than a Burberry check scarf.
Hermes scarves are unbeatable ( I have several
emsmilep.gif
) and they are just so lovely to wear and something to cherish.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 5:42:23 AM
Author: Lorelei

Hermes. Like Lorelei said, no question. Hermes just strikes me as an exceptionally high quality classic scarf (so is Burberry of course) and I think a silk scarf signifies more of that 'adult, classy' kind of feeling than a Burberry check scarf.

emsmilep.gif

I'd love to see pics of your scarves sometime! I have one - my gift to myself in the Tokyo airport, lol. It's actually a pocket square but I love it (and cherish it more than my more serviceable winter scarves!).

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the above posters that, as a symbol of passage into adulthood, a Hermes scarf wins. You can''t really go classier than a Hermes scarf. However, my vote went immediately for the Burberry because I was thinking how as a 21-year-old, my opportunities to wear a Hermes scarf were extremely limited. IMO you''d have to have an unusually strong sense of style to pull it off with the casual clothes a 21 year old typically wears, and I know I would not have worn it very often. I would have worn the BB all the time and I think your young friend will probably over the moon to own something that has such a luxurious cashmere feel but is very wearable.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 6:06:40 AM

Date: 2/20/2009 5:42:23 AM

Hermes. Like Lorelei said, no question. Hermes just strikes me as an exceptionally high quality classic scarf (so is Burberry of course) and I think a silk scarf signifies more of that ''adult, classy'' kind of feeling than a Burberry check scarf.

emsmilep.gif

I''d love to see pics of your scarves sometime! I have one - my gift to myself in the Tokyo airport, lol. It''s actually a pocket square but I love it (and cherish it more than my more serviceable winter scarves!).
I collect the equestrian ones mainly. The pocket squares are lovely too!

swl, if you didn''t want to get her a scarf, Hermes have other cute accessories you could choose, have a look around the store.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Hello SWL,

I have not seen you before.
35.gif

This is a very sweet though and out of the two - Hermes all the way

But if you are thinking of spending such an amount of money I would look into what I would consider to be more permanent. I would look at small leather goods at LV or a band from Tiffany. Just a suggestion.

Again, very sweet thought.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Hello! and welcome!
35.gif

My vote is for Hermes.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Hi

While I would LOVE anything from Hermes, I kind of agree with the above posters who said maybe, especially for your budget, go with something she could use more. This is coming from a 23 year old- I can''t actually think of ways I would wear a Hermes scard right now other than tie it on a bag. Could you look into something like this, which IMO is very classic and can be used all the time: http://www.burberryusaonline.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3102859&cp=2119866.1914960&parentPage=family

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm....I would SO go for the Hermes, but I''m 31 and would use it way more than a 21 yr. old would...
9.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been seeing Hermes scarves being worn by younger gals as HALTER tops ... with white jeans or white linen trousers ... black menswear pants. Quite chic. You have to have a very thin frame to tie it right though

ETA: This blog has instructions & pictures.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
If it''s only a choice between those two, then Hermes - Burberry kills foxes
29.gif

Patiently_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
That is so sweet of you. My vote is for Hermes.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Definitely the Hermes scarf - I agree its more adult and classic, and I also like that the designs aren''t generic - they are all beautiful, but each one is different and she is unlikely to see 10 people wearing the same thing - to me, that represents the individuality that comes with growing up.

Also, FWIW, I have a Hermes scarf that was my grandmothers, and I still wear it when I dress up and get compliments on it (I''m 26).

swl

Shiny_Rock
thank you all for your advise! If I get something more practical do you think she will appreciate it more? then she will be able to wear it all the time... ummm... earrings might be a good choice? any cute earrings around? If I am really getting her a pair of earrings, then I would limit my budget to under $100 so I can use the rest of the money to arrange a nice birthday dinner.

any other suggestions?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 11:42:57 AM
Author: swl
thank you all for your advise! If I get something more practical do you think she will appreciate it more? then she will be able to wear it all the time... ummm... earrings might be a good choice? any cute earrings around? If I am really getting her a pair of earrings, then I would limit my budget to under $100 so I can use the rest of the money to arrange a nice birthday dinner.

any other suggestions?
For a 21st birthday I wouldn''t think practical so much, more unique keepsake that she can cherish, something that marks her 21st in a memorable way. Earrings could work certainly, but do bear in mind with the Hermes scarves that they are a classic and properly cared for can last a lifetime. Also young ladies can wear them in all sorts of trendy ways these days as Deco shows.

swl

Shiny_Rock
oh and Hi everyone I am new here
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 11:49:49 AM
Author: swl
oh and Hi everyone I am new here
35.gif
Hi there and welcome!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 5:31:25 AM
Date: 2/20/2009 2:19:48 AM

Author:swl

Hi all!

My friend is turning 21 this month, I want to give her something really nice. My budget is around 350-400. Since 21 marks the beginning of her adulthood, I want to get her something classic and especially precious. I can''t decide between an Hermès silk scarf or a traditional Burberry check scarf.

26.gif

No contest, Hermes scarf.

totally agree.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Hermes!

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Hermes, definitely! It will be a life-long treasure and you can choose one that reflects her favorite color and her personal interests. What a sweet thing to do for your friend.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Definitely Hermes.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Hermes without a doubt.

Burberry is seen as uber-tacky in the UK for the last few years - especially anything with their check pattern and most people won't be seen dead wearing it. It's a long story as to why - but google the word 'chav' and all will be explained...

I interviewed with them a few years ago and we spent most of the interview discussing the situation and what they were doing to try to get away from the stigma as it has had a major impact on their sales.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 2:31:11 PM
Author: Pandora II
Hermes without a doubt.

Burberry is seen as uber-tacky in the UK for the last few years - especially anything with their check pattern and most people won''t be seen dead wearing it. It''s a long story as to why - but google the word ''chav'' and all will be explained...

I interviewed with them a few years ago and we spent most of the interview discussing the situation and what they were doing to try to get away from the situation as it has had a major impact on their sales.
Yep Pandora is right, Burberry has taken a hit here with all the chavs wearing it.

I say buy the Hermes. You can''t go wrong there!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 2:35:13 PM
Author: Maisie

Hermes without a doubt.

Burberry is seen as uber-tacky in the UK for the last few years - especially anything with their check pattern and most people won''t be seen dead wearing it. It''s a long story as to why - but google the word ''chav'' and all will be explained...

I interviewed with them a few years ago and we spent most of the interview discussing the situation and what they were doing to try to get away from the situation as it has had a major impact on their sales.
Yep Pandora is right, Burberry has taken a hit here with all the chavs wearing it.

LOL!!! It has indeed!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Well, I have a few friends around that age range and I wouldn''t see them really appreciate the art of Hermes (and they were Art majors) nor see them wear a scarf(except maybe in their hair). It doesn''t need to be practical, something Burberry, Louis Vuitton or Gucci perhaps. One of their little goods, like a coin purse for going out on the town.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 2:36:34 PM

Hermes without a doubt.

LOL!!! It has indeed!

Has it come to the U.S yet? I''m aware of the stigma overseas but I don''t think it has come here.

Steel

Ideal_Rock

Hermes without a doubt.

I was not going to say it. But even my dog bought a knock off...
15.gif
(Sorry, not trying to be mean)

- The point I would make with Hermes is that unless you really ''know'' the brand you might not understand the extent of the gift. I still vote for Tiffany or LV!

evenlenahasaknockoff.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results