shape
carat
color
clarity

Here SHE is! 35/40.8 Keep? Return?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think you are right! And I will :) . Thank you for all your help and putting up with all this.
Your welcome.
This stuff is fun for me and takes my mind off being sick lol

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Your welcome.
This stuff is fun for me and takes my mind off being sick lol

Yes, I have read somewhere that you have been battling the flu. Hope you get well soon, Karl_K!

The only reason I got confused (doubted the stone) is because I have gotten different opinions on it from different people. Here and outside. I really thought that reading Ideal Scope on the top of seeing dimensions and a rather clear pic would bring more unifying opinions. Especially, when one (me) does not know any better.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@headlight is that your ring in your profile picture? Very pretty!
Thank you! But in truth it is 35/40.8 AND almost 63% depth. So 2 strikes! Yet it performs great in most lighting. I also see people looking at it a lot and I don’t think they are because they think it’s unattractive. I think the bright white (colorless) really helps. I am eager for my recuts by Brian Gavin to come back of my inherited stones to see the differences.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I have read somewhere that you have been battling the flu. Hope you get well soon, Karl_K!

The only reason I got confused (doubted the stone) is because I have gotten different opinions on it from different people. Here and outside. I really thought that reading Ideal Scope on the top of seeing dimensions and a rather clear pic would bring more unifying opinions. Especially, when one (me) does not know any better.
As mentioned earlier, vendors take the IS/ASET images under all different conditions. This confuses alot of prosumers, too. Combine that with different opinions people have, it can be overwhelming.

At the end, you got a nice diamond. There is zero doubt on this.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! But in truth it is 35/40.8 AND almost 63% depth. So 2 strikes! Yet it performs great in most lighting. I also see people looking at it a lot and I don’t think they are because they think it’s unattractive. I think the bright white (colorless) really helps. I am eager for my recuts by Brian Gavin to come back of my inherited stones to see the differences.

I think it is beautiful! Hopefully mine will be ok too. Picking it up tomorrow!

Reactions: AV_

headlight

Ideal_Rock
With all the twisted pavilion stones on the market today I question buying any stone online without images.
What is a twisted pavilion? Thank you!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What is a twisted pavilion? Thank you!
Recent thread with some info and examples:

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock

Your ring is very pretty! I have a large table big no no for lots of people, but I like that my stone looks bigger than it actually is and for me it has great fire in a lot of different lighting conditions.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is beautiful! Hopefully mine will be ok too. Picking it up tomorrow!

Don't take the diamond 35/40.8 as a strike. Look at WF web site, a lot of their ACAs are 35/40.8. I was very surprised to see that, but there they are.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks very nice.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I personally prefer 35/40.8 combo to a 35/40.6 IRL. Light return may be more likely to be stronger in 35/40.6 but I do like the effect of a slightly steeper pavilion. However there is a cliff where much beyond this the performance gets rapidly affected. As such 35/40.8 is not an issue, it's the rounding and imprecise cutting. With a IS, there is NO disadvantage to 35/40.8.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I personally prefer 35/40.8 combo to a 35/40.6 IRL. Light return may be more likely to be stronger in 35/40.6 but I do like the effect of a slightly steeper pavilion. However there is a cliff where much beyond this the performance gets rapidly affected. As such 35/40.8 is not an issue, it's the rounding and imprecise cutting. With a IS, there is NO disadvantage to 35/40.8.

Agreed. As I mentioned earlier, WF has many ACA in that 35/40.8 combo which surprised me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With all the twisted pavilion stones on the market today I question buying any stone online without images.

I agree for the most part and have never done so. But I'd NEVER order a diamond without a return policy, and I only buy from reliable vendors. One would need to know how to use an ASET or IS, as well.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

headlight

Ideal_Rock

Can you describe what the effect of a slightly steeper pavilion looks like? Thank you!

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Yay, @daisygrl !!! It looks beautiful.:) I hope you are enjoying your new ring!

FWIW, I used to have 35/40.8 WF ACA earrings I ended up selling to my mom. They were fireballs! I remember one reason she bought them and we didn't trade them back was because we thought the stones were so exceptionally sparkly that she wanted those specific ones! IMO, I don't think you've got a thing to worry about in that regard.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Yay, @daisygrl !!! It looks beautiful.:) I hope you are enjoying your new ring!

FWIW, I used to have 35/40.8 WF ACA earrings I ended up selling to my mom. They were fireballs! I remember one reason she bought them and we didn't trade them back was because we thought the stones were so exceptionally sparkly that she wanted those specific ones! IMO, I don't think you've got a thing to worry about in that regard.

@Siamese Kitty , I am! Funny you mentioned the "fireballs". I have watched a few videos on youtube about how super ideal cut diamonds should sparkle in the direct sunlight, so I did the test myself today with my ring. It literally looked like the ring was on fire. I have never seen anything like it (mind you, I used to have a ring from Tiffany and while that one sparkled, it did not fire up like this one.) Wish I could post a video of it!

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can you describe what the effect of a slightly steeper pavilion looks like? Thank you!

I'm not sure why, but I find it to be more lively and dynamic. I helped a close friend acquire a diamond witg very similar to my wife's, table 57, crown 35, the main difference being 40.6 Vs 40.8 pavilion. It's very subtle and I only realised side by side

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
@Siamese Kitty , I am! Funny you mentioned the "fireballs". I have watched a few videos on youtube about how super ideal cut diamonds should sparkle in the direct sunlight, so I did the test myself today with my ring. It literally looked like the ring was on fire. I have never seen anything like it (mind you, I used to have a ring from Tiffany and while that one sparkled, it did not fire up like this one.) Wish I could post a video of it!

I'm so glad you are pleased with it! The fire is one of the best parts!:) I'd love to see it in action and wish I had advice on the video how-to, but I have no idea how to post them myself, ha.

CLL

Rough_Rock
She came today! She is 35/40.8 and I was wondering what you, guys, think compared to a well cut 34.5/40.8. Is it better/worse? Any feedback is much appreciated! I also have a video of her but unsure how to attach that one. ! IMG_9530.jpg

Beautiful ring!!!

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
You, guys, might be getting tired of this post but I have just taken really awesome pics of my ring and wanted to share it with you to show you how (sometimes tricky) 35/40.8 can perform. I was rather amazed. IMG_9685.jpg IMG_9686.jpg

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@gm89uk There does exist a measure of what you are seeing, I'll do the reading one of these days - www

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results