shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mammoth

Rough_Rock
**************************************ADVICE?***********************************************

I purchased my fiances'' ring at Derco on Dec 21 2006. My 30 day return is coming on this Saturday. This last Saturday she noticed what appears to be a large feather or what I can only describe as a crackinside the diamond (round cut) about half way between the culet and the girdle. I am freaking out. Should I take it to an appraiser here in Sacramento (does anyone know of any?) or should I make the drive to Derco? Do diamonds crack for no apparent reason? She did not hit on anything and there is no explanation for this. I am dumbfounded.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerly,
Freaking out in Sacramento

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi mammoth and welcome..

what you are describing sounds like it might just be what''s known as the girdle reflection.

here are some pics of girdle reflections:

GirdleReflections222.jpg

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Mammoth and Welcome to PS!
35.gif

Please don''t freak out! We are here to help you. Mrs Salvo had a great thought - is this what your feather/crack looks like?

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, I think Mrs. S probably hit the nail on the head with the girdle reflection.

If not, then clean your diamond very well - it may just be schmutz!

ETA: great pics Mrs. S!

Mammoth

Rough_Rock
It does look like the girdle reflection in the photos you attached. I cleaned the ring and it is still the same. I am a little stressed still because, while I am by no means an expert, I probably spent about 15 hours on this site before I purchased the stone. The girdle reflection was never visible. I am now questioning my sanity because it does look exactly like a grdle reflection. I''ll look at it again when she gets home in an hour. Thank you all for your input. I''ll update as to whether I am just crazy, or if I got slipped a Cubic-Z!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one throws so many people - try a search on girdle reflection and you will see you are far from alone! :) LOVE IT - schmutz!! Anyway, I bet MrsS is right and that is what you are seeing, it IS disconcerting when you notice it for the first time!
32.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/16/2007 10:28:38 PM
Author: Mammoth
It does look like the girdle reflection in the photos you attached. I cleaned the ring and it is still the same. I am a little stressed still because, while I am by no means an expert, I probably spent about 15 hours on this site before I purchased the stone. The girdle reflection was never visible. I am now questioning my sanity because it does look exactly like a grdle reflection. I''ll look at it again when she gets home in an hour. Thank you all for your input. I''ll update as to whether I am just crazy, or if I got slipped a Cubic-Z!
Do you have a report with the diamond? if yes, it should have a mark on the plot/sketch... on the pavilion side...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 3:46:56 AM
Author: Lorelei
This one throws so many people - try a search on girdle reflection and you will see you are far from alone! :) LOVE IT - schmutz!! Anyway, I bet MrsS is right and that is what you are seeing, it IS disconcerting when you notice it for the first time!
32.gif
yes, and sometimes people position the support bar for the basket to hit where the reflection is....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 10:30:16 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

yes, and sometimes people position the support bar for the basket to hit where the reflection is....
That''s how mine is.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results