shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Wedding Outfit...!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kristy you asked me to post this in another thread but I am still totally torn on WHAT TO DO so I figured I'd make a new topic anyway and get some of that fabulous PS gal shopping help.

I have a family wedding in end of Sept in Sonoma. My youngest cousin is getting married at this beautiful outdoor garden venue. The weather will be lovely during the day but will get chilly at night. We COULD be having an Indian summer which is not unlikely at all for end of Sept but you just don't know that til like the week before!

Anyway I have about 2 weeks to buy the outfit. Yikes! I have 'stuff' in my closet I could maybe make work but I want to buy a dress that I can wear again to other events, not pidgeonhole myself into a 'season' necessarily...and something simple that can be dressed up with accessories or be 'versatile'. I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg since I am on a budget this fall...WAH. I don't wear that many dresses like this in general so whatever I buy I want to be able to be used again, maybe not the whole outfit at once but the elements have to be useful again.

So all that said, I tried on this dress at Jcrew in this hot pink color. I loved it. It looks really cute on and thanks to my workout slave regime I have been following, my arms and shoulders look flattering which is a positive! So I loved the hot pink color but they only had an 8 and I tried the 6 on this ugly bright pink color, so came online to see if they had it in this more raspberry hot pink in the 6. They do. They also have it in a chocolate brown which I think may be more versatile in the future than hot pinkish? Also what if it's coldish in Sonoma end of Sept? I'd maybe feel not quite as fashionable in a hot pinkish.

Anyway so now I am torn between the hot pink version with a chocolate brown wrap and dark chocolate strappy sandals...which I think would be very cute...OR doing the chocolate brown version with a cream wrap and golden/champagne strappy sandals. Also, my skin tone is dark tanned right now. So I'm a little worried the choco brown would be too much like my own skin? Too boring maybe.

My boss says I should be daring and go for the hot pink and the chocolate shoes and wrap for fall. PS'er thoughts?!?! I need to make a definitive decision soon so I figure I have to get this done by this weekend if I intend to order.

Here's the hot pink version I tried on. The only downer about it in a 6 is that I am shortish waisted so the boning that holds the top up (quite well I might add as it's always hit or miss with strapless!!), you can see the line across her waist there where the boning ends, kind of hits my hipbone and makes the line not QUITE perfect. It's barely noticeable and it doesn't look bad...but I think it might be less visible in a dark color like the choco vs the pink!

hot pink.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here's the chocolate version of the dress.

pink or brown?!?!?

choco dress.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here are some shoes that would be fab...or something like this. i think this would be GREAT with either dress but particularly love it with the chocolate. and a cream cashmere wrap?

champ shoes.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
problem is that i can''t find a wrap online that i think would work with the dress. jcrew has one but they don''t have it on any models so it doesnt show what it looks like AND it''s only available online so i can''t see it in person. UGH! banana has a jersey brownish one but i don''t know if it''s fancy enough? and nordstrom''s only has really thick cashmere ones and i need something thinnish i think, more delicate looking. help with the wrap?!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Very cute dress! I vote for the brown one! Hmmmm, not sure where you can get a wrap.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d go for the brown one, it''s a great dress. Too bad they don''t have the wraps in their stores so you could see it in person. What about a peshmina?? Or are you looking for something more dressy??

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love these...think they''d work with the brown?

charles david flora.jpg

mia15

Shiny_Rock
Cute dress- I like the brown, with gold sandals, for fall. That dress also needs earrings!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i thought about a pashmina...but i am thinking something a little more ''filmy'' so that it''s not such a ''dense'' look if that makes sense. not too thin but maybe silk/cashmere woven or something? also something i can wear elsewhere or tie other ways ideally.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was just on Bluefly today trolling for white cashmere shrugs or the like ... didn't see anything for me but liked a few things that might work for you. I like the Choc. best.

Tracy Reese (too grandma ish?)

BCBG(would look cute with the shoes)

Tocca (I'm sad this is ivory)

Wraps are such a pain the patootie to keep on right all night ... that's why I was thinking this way ..

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
double post -- me links no work

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, I really like the pink but I think the brown would definately be more versatile and you could wear it to a lot a different events, even dress it down for one of Greg''s concerts at a church or something. The pink is more of a spluge dress where the brown is more practical. I think either pair of shoes would look gorgeous but vote for the champagne shoes..

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for the chocolate dress also. It seems like more of a fall dress. It seems like sometimes the most basic things like a wrap are the hardest to find. I like the idea of the gold sandals too.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
another vote for brown here!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you know what color i vote for.
35.gif

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2843917?cm_ven=nextag&cm_cat=datafeed&cm_pla=scarves%2fwraps%2fponchos:women:wraps&cm_ite=sean_collection_bead-trim_silk_shawl:133334

too thin?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
check bananar epublic for a wrap. i think they may have something,

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i was leaning towards the brown, gals, so you just made up my mind! hehee....

belle i love that shawl, but it''s ivory and i was hoping for something a bit more golden or champagne. though i could get lighter shoes i guess too. would that be weird? would golden shoes be okay with an ivory shawl?

jcrow i did look at banana and the best they have is this jersey wrap but it''s more tan and looks more casual.

deco i like that 2nd little wrap sweater but it''s short sleeve so i think i might need a longer one in case it''s really chilly.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous dress!!! I love that it is simple enough so that you can dress it up with a wrap/heels, or dress it down with a jean-jacket and mid-calf boots! I love, love, love the pink because I think it''d look great with your golden skin tone. Plus, most people these days dress really "safely" and a lady in pink is like a breath of fresh air. (at the evening wedding I attended last weekend, I swear 95% of the women were in black) BUT....if you''re going for versatility, the brown would be better since you could wear it again and often, and for the wedding you could add some accent pieces that will really pop against the neutrality of the dress: A light cream wrap sounds great, and probably the gold heels because that''d make it easier to pair with gold jewelry, which I see as being very compatible with the brown dress. To further lighten things up, maybe your makeup could be all dewy and creamy and shimmery, i.e. pale shimmery gold eye shadow and maybe a little shimmer powder on your shoulders.

What are you thinking, for jewelry? I think some bold, artistic gold pieces would look really striking against the delicateness of your outfit. I.e. gold cuff bracelet like the one from Cecile & Jeanne below.

EAM1.jpg

With this necklace which I LOVE from the same designer:

IMG_2742.jpg

Or this necklace, also from Cecil & Jeanne:

STC5%20G.jpg

OK, I need to stop channeling my inner bossy stylist and shut up now. I''m done.
9.gif
For now.
3.gif
It''s so fun to dress people up!

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I hate to go against this happy chocolate party, but I LOVE the pink one. There is nothing more fabulous to me than a splash of color at a wedding. That dress doesn''t scream "I''m trying to steal the show".... it cries, "WHO is that sexy brunette over there in the corner?"

Don''t get me wrong, the chocolate is gorgeous and you can''t go wrong with either, but I just love that pink one.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m so with ya Ellen, I really prefer the hot pink, too, but if she wants to wear it more often then brown might be more practical, ya know?

Mara, I do agree that a gold-ish shawl (rather than cream) would look striking with the brown dress, and with the gold heels.

How about this handwoven silk number? I don''t like the fringe but I''m sure you could cut it off. I found it on novica.com:
p121796_2.jpg

Or a gold silk pattern against earth tone pashmina?
AC3350x712.jpg

Here''s a gold and mocha silk shawl from a vendor in the UK:
swkda_lrge3.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehehe ellen...you doubt inducing girl!!

i do like the idea of the pink but i don't know, i just am hesitant about it and don't think that i can 10000% get behind it. the brown just does feel safer and i know what you mean about people being SAFER especially at weddings...i don't want to stand out at all really, i'm just a guest. which is why i think i'll probably go with the brown. but i do like the idea of the pink. what about getting a raspberry pink shawl or something with the gold shoes? maybe instead of ivory? hmmmm.

oh and i love that last necklace KD...where's that from??

what are your gals thoughts on doing earrings AND a necklace? or should i just do a striking necklace and wear my hair down around my ears with no earrings? i don't wear a lot of jewelry so i'm not really a huge accessories girl.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All 3 gold pieces are from Cecile & Jeanne: www.cecilejeanne.com . I have a couple things from them and I love them. They''re French artisan pieces, and they have a boutique in San Francisco just off Union Square. Maybe we''ll just have to stop by on Sept 16.
31.gif

I think a striking gold necklace with hair up and tiny stud earrings (little gold balls or pearl studs) would be beautiful. With a strapless dress, I think a necklace is a good idea. UNLESS....you skip the necklace and get some extra-long gold chandelier earrings, with hair up of course! With a light dusting of gold shimmer powder on your shoulders, that''d be stunning!!!

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
I vote brown too. Safer and more versatile, yes, but mostly I just like it better.
1.gif
I''m really into brown lately, though, so that''s just a preference thing. If you''re a hot pink person, go for it!

I think I''m just repeating what other people have said, but I love it with the yellow gold jewelry--either a necklace and small or no earrings, or big dangly earrings, no necklace and maybe a bracelet. Do we get to see pictures of the finished product?

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my god, KD...can I just strip naked and have you rebuild me, from earrings to purse to gold shimmery shoulders? You''ve got taste, lady! And a heck of a fast google finger...

I do love the brown, mara. I can see what you are saying. I''m still partial to the pink but I am a practical enough gal to recognize that I too would probably end up with the brown...although one DH-work dinner a few years back I ended up in a silk dupioni dress in pretty much that same pink color, maybe a bit more salmony, and it was kind of fun to be just a little different from the "little black dress" crowd that I usually belong to.

Definitely loving those gold accessories KD found...with that chocolate...mmmm mmmm....

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
BROWN BROWN BROWN...it is fall, I love cream or bronze or metallic accessories with it...warm gold or rose gold jewelry...I think it is stunning and very sophiticated, more so than the pink, though pink is pretty in a garden too. TOugh call, but I think it looks richer somehow in the brown...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
PS the warm tones all work well, cream, ivpry etc...there are also some wraps that come in sort of multi colors like bronze and cream and brown, light and thin, with a design in them that is burned out a bit through velvet...I will see if I can find a link to them...there is an artist that makes them and they are stunning...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara, if you got to www.kevinobrienstudio.com and on top where you see scarves and shawls, click it...he is an artist and makes these amazing wraps in cashmere, silk or velvet. He sells them in stores like Barneys and they are stunning and conversation pieces. I always get compliments on mine when I wear them, and they really compliment a more simple outfit. See what you think, worth a look if you want to!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh I vote for the brown dress too... I went to a wedding last weekend and wore a chocolate brown Arden B dress... with gold heels, deep red on my toes, and a red pashmina and bag to match. One thick, chunky strand of pearls too. I was happy with the end result... perfect for fall!!
1.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I also vote for the brown. Metallic sandals or those funky Charles David pumps you posted on another thread would look great. Red cashmere or metallic/brochade (sp) wrap would give you a spicy flair and elegant hammered looking drop gold earrings or necklace, but not both.

cheers--Sharon

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I am going against the Brown party too, and voting for the hot pink. Brown is safer if that's what you want. I had a hot magenta strapless dress that I've worn to a couple weddings. I think the hot pink one can be as versatile as the brown one.

ETA: After re-reading some of the posts, I think a red pashmina or shrawl would be a great way to get more flair to the brown dress. I just think simple gold accessories and shoes would be too safe with the brown dress.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results