shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with setting for Round Diamond and Halo

Gmurph

Rough_Rock
Hi All - I'm doing research on a setting for my GF to go with a round diamond (probably ~1.5 carat), and a round halo. I was first drawn to a ring without diamonds on the band, because I like the simplicity and focus on the center stone, and was thinking I could buy rings down the road with diamonds on the band to complement the engagement ring.

In looking at settings online, it seems most bands for this type of diamond and halo have diamonds on the band.

For example: http://www.thediamondroom.com/engagement/french-halo-round-centerstone-included.html

Vs. no diamonds on the band: http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/plain-shank-round-halo-engagement-ring-14k-white-gold_33941?elem=img&track=product

Do y'all have any thoughts/feedback on what you'd recommend in terms of the band? I just want to make sure I get it right!

Thank you in advance,

GMurph

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First of all, are you sure she wants a halo? Some women love them and some women just don't like them at all! I have a friend that REALLY dislikes halo rings which is why i ask. And diamonds on the band is really a personal preference, do you know what your GF will like? Does she have a pinterest page?

If you want the diamond center stage, why not a simple solitaire? A six prong setting would be really lovely with a diamond that size.

Gmurph

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the quick response!

She does want a halo, based on some conversations we had. But I don't think she had really thought about it until I brought it up, so I'm sure she'd be happy either way. In terms of diamond on the band, when I showed her a couple pictures, she preferred the one without diamonds on the band - but that may be because I liked it too and sort of suggested it to her. She's pretty agreeable. :)

And she does have a Pinterest page, but I don't believe she's posted anything ring related. I'll have to look to double check!

Maybe I'll revisit doing a single solitare! Tough part for me is she wants to be surprised, so I limit the number of questions I ask her. But maybe I should just include her in this process so I get it right. :)

Thanks again,

G

Gmurph

Rough_Rock
That's a beautiful ring, I love it! I'm definitely open to suggestions.

My conservative budget is $15K all-in, but am willing to go up to $20K if that's what is needed to find the perfect ring. So far, I'm thinking my diamond would cost $11k-$14k depending on the quality, leaving me some wiggle room in terms of the ring.

Gmurph

Rough_Rock
That one is beautiful, thanks for sharing!

My GF is similar. She's fairly simplistic/clean in terms of taste, which is why we're leaning towards no diamonds on the band.

Your ring looks great!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like halos with plain shanks. I like the contrast of the sparkle against the clean metal. If she wants she can add
a wedding band with pave on it or a plain metal band to keep the clean look.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
sivyaleah said:
Maybe this one from Ritani? It's a halo without diamonds on the band. Mine arrives Saturday ( :appl: ). I'm also fairly simplistic and a bit hard on things so I opted to forego the additional bling. Much better made than similar from Blue Nile.

https://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/french-set-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-in-14kt-white-gold/6114

Funny thing is I was pretty sure I didn't want a halo until I tried them on =)

i think whiteflash has this setting, no? Definitely have the budget for a really nice stone! There are a couple of Whiteflash ACA's in your range 1.5ct+ if you're ok with an "I" colored diamond.

mns12

Shiny_Rock
I think both can be lovely! It does come down to personal preference and maybe what type of wedding band she plans to wear.

I have had both. While I did love the pave on the shank I ultimately decided to go with a plain shank for my replacement ring.
One, my originally ER was a plain shank solitaire and I almost went back to that classic design. In the end I wanted a little more oomph and decided a dainty halo with plain shank would be perfect for me. And second, I feel like I have more flexibility with bands.
I have to say I do love the clean, crisp contrast of the shank and diamond. But again, both can be beautiful choices. Here is a comparison pic if that helps you at all.

iphone_pics_102613_2.jpg

_csc1074.jpg

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Love that cushion halo with plain shank. So beautiful!!!!

mns12

Shiny_Rock
SparklySoprano|1457660760|4003064 said:
Love that cushion halo with plain shank. So beautiful!!!!

Thanks so much!

yanaflorida

Rough_Rock
I think both can be lovely! It does come down to personal preference and maybe what type of wedding band she plans to wear.

I have had both. While I did love the pave on the shank I ultimately decided to go with a plain shank for my replacement ring.
One, my originally ER was a plain shank solitaire and I almost went back to that classic design. In the end I wanted a little more oomph and decided a dainty halo with plain shank would be perfect for me. And second, I feel like I have more flexibility with bands.
I have to say I do love the clean, crisp contrast of the shank and diamond. But again, both can be beautiful choices. Here is a comparison pic if that helps you at all.

iphone_pics_102613_2.jpg

_csc1074.jpg

how many pointers is your halo? it looks gorgeous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results