carat
color
clarity

Help with sapphire and old cut ring

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Hello ladies
Could I get a view on this ring please?
Its UK £6.3k with a 1.5ct unheated sapphire (no cert) with 1.5cts diamonds.
what do you think of the sapphire colour? Do you think it’s priced well?
Thank you for your help
C2FDD6A8-865A-45BA-9980-79549517563A.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without a cert I absolutely would not buy this. It is expensive, so you would need "proof" that the sapphire is truly unheated and that the stones are diamond.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just as a comparison: Here is a 5K USD ring from diamonds by lauren (sold, but shown as a price comparison).

It has a 2ct sapphire (heated), and 1.25ct of diamonds.I would email them if you want a similar style, since they can likely make something similar for a better price than the one you linked, and it will be from a trusted vendor.

voce

Ideal_Rock
With or without a cert, do you prefer your sapphire to be that dark of a purple? There are a couple of 1.52-1.60 rounds at https://www.finewatergems.com/store/c2/Sapphire.html with better color for $3.0-3.2K USD. Although they are heated, they come with AGL certs. I think it's nuts to pay such a high price for a sapphire that's not top color/transparency.

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @lovedogs
I am looking for an antique sapphire ring and loved the old cuts in this one but wasn’t sure about the sapphire.
Thank you for the feedback. I’ll keep looking

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @voce
I am looking for an antique ring with old cuts and that is what drew me to this one. The video shows more blue than purple but I appreciate uncerted is very risky.

voce

Ideal_Rock
@Christinak one thought is that you could put in an offer for the setting, without the center sapphire. Since the center stone is a round, surely it'd be easy enough to replace with a better sapphire!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, it is a lovely ring but the price is way too much for a ring without certification.
I’d be confident that the diamonds are genuine but I think their clarity is lower (SI) and I’m wondering if between the 11 and 12 o’clock position (assuming ring is orientated face on) the sapphire has a chip near the prong.
The sapphire is colour is good, not great (lacks vividness) and you’d definitely require a lab cert confirming unheated status.
I’d keep looking.

reirei

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @lovedogs
I am looking for an antique sapphire ring and loved the old cuts in this one but wasn’t sure about the sapphire.
Thank you for the feedback. I’ll keep looking

I also believe the price is way too much for the specs and a sapphire that doesn’t look exceptional @Christinak . I know you’re looking for a sapphire with old cuts - that’s a hard find (I've been lookihg at a lot of sapphire rings lately) and wish you best of luck! It's probably hard to wait but I know you'll know when you find the right one!

Here’s some comparables of antique / vintage sapphire rings with old cuts from GoldAdore Etsy shop, where the owner is a GIA graduate gemologist. (No certificates here either though but “All our items have been fully inspected for authenticity and condition by a GIA Graduate Gemologist.”) https://www.etsy.com/shop/GoldAdore

Platinum and diamond sapphire ring with old european cuts
$7995

Crafted in Platinum, the design features amazing open work, incredible hand engraving, beaded edges, and Pave Set Diamonds. The openwork is accented by 24 Pave Set Old European Cut Diamonds, totaling approximately 1.25ct total in weight, of G/VS2 quality. In the center is one amazing Oval Cut Blue Sapphire, approximately 3.25ct in weight, with excellent transparency, and a strong blue color.

FF0C4BF2-82CD-41EE-940C-F4F941481AE7.jpeg

Antique Tiffany ring (price high due to Tiffany name markup)
$9,995

Crafted in Platinum in the 1920's by the famous jeweler Tiffany & Co., the design is a gorgeous Halo of Antique Diamonds, around the most perfectly colored rich Sapphire, and finished with Tiffany's classic split shank. In the center, the ring holds One Cushion Cut Sapphire, approximately 1.00ct in weight, of fine quality!

The face of the ring is 12mm x 11mm.
The total carat weight for this ring is approximately 1.92ct.
The center sapphire is approximately 6mm x 4.5mm.
A3654FB3-F0EC-4571-AF67-84B7680143B8.jpeg

Sapphire ring with old mine cuts
$2695

in 14K Yellow Gold, the ring is a classic halo design. In the center, the ring is Prong Set with One Cushion Sapphire, approximately 2.00ct in weight, of fine quality. The color of this sapphire is amazing - a wonderful, rich, royal blue! In addition, there are 10 Old Mine Cut Diamonds, approximately 1.20ct total in weight, of I/VS2 quality.

9A20C338-7E69-4287-B0C3-D003606604B0.jpeg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other finds of sapphires with old cuts

Art Deco Platinum GIA Ceylon Sapphire - With French Cut Diamonds and Old Mine Cut Diamonds
$3,950.00
Composition: Platinum
• 1 natural cushion Gia Ceylon sapphire 2.77ctw.
• 6 French cut diamonds H-VS1 0.95ctw.
• 14 old mine cut diamonds H-VS1 0.50ctw.

sapphire_gia_french_cuts.PNG

Last edited:

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @voce that’s a great idea but I don’t think the vendor will take a low enough offer for it to be viable

thanks @Bron357 for your thoughts. I am definitely going to pass on this one. Part of the issue is also finding something in the uk. Dealing with vat and import duties ramps the price up so much. However the uk prices are really high at the moment I think due to COVID and getting hold of stocks (no antique fairs running etc). I have tried a number of auctions in the past few weeks and things are selling much much higher than their estimates.

thanks so much for taking the time to look for me @reirei. I love the last one with French cuts (scratches two itches for me that one as I have always wanted some French cuts!) Prices seem much more reasonable too.

thanks again to everyone for your input and help. Saves me making a costly mistake!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say it is about right for UK prices.
However, I personally would pass on that as the Sapphire is too dark for my liking and there is no cert..

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results