shape
carat
color
clarity

help with ideal-scope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dannanews

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I'm getting close to making a purchase. I got an ideal-scope and so far, it hasn't pointed out one diamond that I really like. It has helped significantly with comparing diamonds side by side at one store to pick out the one I like best. I have a few diamonds that I've narrowed it down to, but I'm having difficulty comparing diamonds from different stores. I've only seen one or two diamonds that have a clear hearts and arrows pattern and they are not in my short list for one reason or another. The other diamonds that I am considering appear to return a lot of light, they are almost all pink.

My question is this, how do I compare different stones from different stores? The lighting conditions in each store are different. Also, since they are not side by side, it is hard to remember exactly which is better. I even went from one store directly to the next and I couldn't tell you which was better.

Should I keep looking for a stone that shows a strong hearts and arrows pattern? I know that it doesn't have to show that pattern to be ideal. It seems that maybe there aren't that many H&A diamonds out there that aren't labeled that way. My hope though is to find an ideal cut stone and not pay the extra price for name brand stone. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

PoopEater

Rough_Rock
Just find a stone that you are happy with at a price you want to pay. I'd imagine that the two similar stones from different stores don't differ much, if you can't really tell them apart. As long as you don't have any really bad leakage, I'd say to just get one. My $0.02, anyway.

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
If I were using the scope I would give up on looking for a H&A pattern and rather just compare light leakage using the scope. You can compare symmetry ratings using the paper certs.

dannanews

Rough_Rock
Thanks RSilvers. Does anyone else think I should not look for a H&A pattern?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results