shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Gem, Setting, and Vendor

gemnoobie

Rough_Rock
I'm going to profess my ignorance from the outset. This forum has been extremely helpful but it is also a bit daunting due to the sheer volume of information. I'm hoping that some of you will be kind enough to help provide some guidance in order to make an informed decision without having to become an expert overnight (I'm on a short timeline since I'd like to propose in early to mid-Sept).

In short, I'm looking to buy a blue sapphire engagement ring. My girlfriend is a fan of David Yurman's settings so I'd like to try find something very close to something he offers but with a sapphire.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVD80ZbWE60VMnl3qvKP-EFPJ1CnVMYzfIs5E2wGwrYIJZl8FS

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MRTtPVIhc...-Yurman-round-cut-diamond-engagement-ring.jpg

http://www.jpcnco.com/enewsletter/april10/imgs/ra.jpg

My total budget is $7.5-12.5K

Appreciate any help you could give since I haven't been able to find this type of setting somewhere other than through DY direct (and you can't buy a standalone setting).

Thanks kindly.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Best wishes on your coming engagement! A number of vendors have similar rings & most will work with you to customize as you wish. It's far easier to find your sapphire first, though, and then look for a setting to fit it. The other way around can be frustrating.

Here are some vendors & examples to give you an idea, but if you don't already have the sapphire, find that first.

Image1.jpg

Kimberley1.jpg

BGD.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with JF; it is far easier to find the sapphire first, then commission the setting. There are a number of jewellery making outfits who will be able to make DY inspired settings for you to accomodate the blue sapphire you end up with. The other advantage of finding your own center stone is better pricing (value) and selection.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
If you buy a "calibrated" stone, it may fit into a standard setting, which may save you money. You can look for your own stone, either calibrated or not, and then find a setting or custom design a setting with someone.

If you want find a standard setting first, you may want to find a jeweler who will source multiple sapphires from which to choose. I don't know where you live, but it may be difficult to find a jeweler who specializes in colored stones. Many jewelers are focused on diamonds. If you post where you live, some PSers may be able to suggest a jeweler near you.

gemnoobie

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the feedback -- I really appreciate it. It sounds like the best approach is to find a sapphire and then custom design a setting. Hopefully I'll be able to do this all online since I currently live in Western Canada and have had a hard time finding a jeweler that sells sapphires.

Given that the David Yurman rings are a "cushion" cut, I'm assuming that I should look for a similar cut for the sapphire. Do any of you see a drawback to this? Given my budget ($7.5-$12,5K) for the whole ring, can any of you give a ballpark as to how much my budget should be for the sapphire?

Thanks again!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cushion cut means that the gemstone is either square or rectangular with rounded corners, which shouldn't be an issue with finding one in a sapphire. Whether your budget is sufficient will depend on the fineness of the sapphire (quality of colour), the size and treatment level. As to the design, the pictures show different designs so I'm not sure which one you have in mind.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I just saw this blue sapphire, which is precision-cut and looks fantastic:

http://www.precisiongem.com/Gemstones/Gemstones/Sapphire.html - first one on the page, Gem 1170.

I also second the recommendation for Whiteflash. They did a great job with my engagement ring. IMO they're a bit on the pricey side though. Another recommendation would be Brian Gavin Diamonds (Brian used to be in charge of WF and then split off to form his own company).

gemnoobie

Rough_Rock
Thanks very much for the heads-up and suggestions. I like the sapphire from Precision Gem but was hoping for something a little less oval. I've reached out to Jeff White and a few other vendors and am waiting on a response to see what kind of inventory they have. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results