shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with beauty on a budget for a lovely young couple

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
I am part of the family committee looking for an engagement ring for my best friend's daughter's boyfriend to give her -- by Christmas, he hopes. He has everything (kindness, intelligence and wit) except money! The budget is very tight; he originally planned to spend about $2000 in all, but his future in-laws are so pleased with the plan that they would contribute up to another $1000 to the total. What the daughter would like is:
1. A white gold setting sort of like this but with a rounded shank and just three small round stones down each side:
https://www.pricescope.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/petite-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-in-platinum-14-ct-tw-2393
2. A sparkly center diamond of at least half a carat but smaller than a full carat.
3. A round brilliant, higher colors probably okay, inclusions okay if they are not obtrusive.
They are very happy to use vendors like James Allen, Whiteflash, etc., but the choice is overwhelming. Can somebody point us to some stones (preferably with setting from the same dealer) that would be as sparkly as the young lady in question? She is more interested in the sentiment than the size, but it would be nice if it were bigger than half a carat.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I saw that one, and like it very much but they would prefer a traditional rounded shank, and this one is very squared off. Also it would be better if the little diamonds were all the same size.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, folks, I strayed over to the sparkly side from Colored Stones and don't have my terminology perfect yet. By "higher color" I meant more color and higher in the alphabet. "I" will probably work just fine. That larger James Allen stone is a definite possibility! Also, thanks for suggesting that James Allen can modify its settings to some degree.
And thank you all for the quick responses.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Excitement and young love mean that events have overtaken this thread. I suggested a trip to ID Jewelry "just to look," and the young man found something he thinks she will love. Final decision tomorrow. It is supposed to be "excellent everything," the price seems right, thank heavens they went there rather than some other places! And thank you, Pricescope! Will post details if it works out.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Don't know all the details yet but they were going to pull the trigger today. Around .80 ct., excellent/maybe ideal cut, with a setting recommended by I.D. Jewelry, well within the tight budget. My friend, mother of the future bride, is picky about everything, and she is just thrilled with the advice she got from I.D.J. I will probably get to see the ring at Thanksgiving. So much fun shopping with Other People's Money!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results