shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a Diamond Choice

Yusiro

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

I have been lurking this site for months now and finally feel confident enough to make a purchase... with some help of course!

I have decided on a custom split-shank pave setting based on this one: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/ring/item_412-2225.asp in Platinum. The shank will be a little smoother and the prongs that hold the center stone will be simplified, but you get the basic idea.

I have decided that, based on my budget, the following stones are my best options. Please note that I value Cut first and foremost, clarity I need eye clean (which my contact at JA assures me both stones are) then colour. After that it's simply the largest stone I can afford! These stones seem very similar on the surface, but looking at the depth and table is where the difference is. Sparkle is a HUGE factor. Both are GIA certified.

A: $3,340
Shape: Round
Carat weight: 0.72
Cut: Ideal
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Certificate: GIA
Depth: 61.9%
Table: 56.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 5.73*5.76*3.56

B: $3,380
Shape: Round
Carat weight: 0.73
Cut: Ideal
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Certificate: GIA
Depth: 61.3%
Table: 59.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle:
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 5.72*5.77*3.52

I'm leaning a little more towards option a because it has a slightly smaller table size and is just a tad deeper... but any help would be greatly appreciated. I have put both of these stones on a 24 hour HOLD so time is off the essence.

Thank you VERY much to those much more knowledgable than myself who can help me decide - also to make sure that the price is reasonable!

Regards

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
can you post the reports or the links so we can see the full report #'s? Thanks!

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
nfowife|1314644359|3004647 said:
can you post the reports or the links so we can see the full report #'s? Thanks!

+1

Idealscope images would be helpful, too.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
Based on the numbers alone I'd go with the smaller table stone. According to the HCA it will have better fire and scintillation (excellent compared to very good). If the idealscope pans out, which I am sure it will, then I would go with that one.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yusiro|1314644617|3004660 said:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1394160.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1394177.asp

Are the two stones - sorry, I wasn't sure whether it would be more helpful to post the specs or the link. I guess when in doubt, do both!

I have asked for Idealscope images for these two stones - hopefully they will come in soon.

Regards

Both look fine by the numbers.
Numbers on GIA are averaged, then rounded, so they don't tell the full story - request ISs if interested, and ask JA which they recommend (and why).

nfowife said:
Based on the numbers alone I'd go with the smaller table stone. According to the HCA it will have better fire and scintillation (excellent compared to very good). If the idealscope pans out, which I am sure it will, then I would go with that one.

Trouble w/ HCA is that it takes only 4 averaged, rounded inputs - it's an effective weeding tool to get an inventory of 100 down to 10, but no use for selection. Wouldn't worry about table size here - such nuances are difficult at best to predict in terms of what OP will see wrt real-world performance differences, if both stones are in fact as similar as the numbers would indicate. I'd just go with whichever JA's gemologist recommends.

Yusiro

Rough_Rock
Okay - So heard back from JA regarding the images. They say that they will get me the images within three days so that I can make a decision 24 hours after they get them to me (thats when the hold will last until). Thanks all for your help!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just based on numbers shown #1. But Id like to see the images (aset/is etc)

Yusiro

Rough_Rock
The consultant at JA actually recommended number 1 as well, so we seem to have a consensus thus far.

Just to take it one step further: How is the price in this case? I live in Toronto, Canada so will be paying 13% tax on the ring to bring it across the border. I just want to make sure that this is worth the extra worry. Does anyone know approximately what a similar spec stone would cost at, say, spence or a local small jeweller? I did speak with Spence asking specifically for those specs but they were very "oh, here is a nice stone with different specs across the board but similar and it is X$" - kind of danced around my specific questions.

Thanks all

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yusiro|1314648652|3004726 said:
The consultant at JA actually recommended number 1 as well, so we seem to have a consensus thus far.

Just to take it one step further: How is the price in this case? I live in Toronto, Canada so will be paying 13% tax on the ring to bring it across the border. I just want to make sure that this is worth the extra worry. Does anyone know approximately what a similar spec stone would cost at, say, spence or a local small jeweller? I did speak with Spence asking specifically for those specs but they were very "oh, here is a nice stone with different specs across the board but similar and it is X$" - kind of danced around my specific questions.

Thanks all

Did they say why?

Yusiro

Rough_Rock
Quote from my JA guy:

"While both of these diamonds are outstanding and score under 2 on the HCA, I think the second - 1394177 - is a better option for you. This has a slightly smaller table size and is just a tad deeper. I believe this diamond will provide a nicer balance of white and dispersed light return. Both of these diamonds will face up a brilliant white and are completely eye clean."

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yusiro|1314650091|3004746 said:
Quote from my JA guy:

"While both of these diamonds are outstanding and score under 2 on the HCA, I think the second - 1394177 - is a better option for you. This has a slightly smaller table size and is just a tad deeper. I believe this diamond will provide a nicer balance of white and dispersed light return. Both of these diamonds will face up a brilliant white and are completely eye clean."

Does this mean that he/she has looked at both personally, in-hand, and compared them for you in a variety of lights? I am confused... it sounds like fluff. IS(s) will tell you more.

Yusiro

Rough_Rock
As an update - JA Rep got back to me today saying: "We just received word from our diamond partner that diamond 1394160 is not available. Apparently is was sold over the weekend when the diamond partner was unable to remove the listing from our website."

Luckily, this was not the first choice anyway. I will wait for the IS image of the other stone to come through to post on here... just as a reference, how is the price on that? Although I couldn't find anything comparable at a B&M store, using the PriceScope search I found the price was middle of the road - which is where I typically like to purchase things anyway.

Thanks again for the help all

Yusiro

Rough_Rock
Hey All,

The Idealscope Image came in for the diamond - I think it looks great. Any issues here or should I pull the trigger?

Thanks

1394177id.jpg

Yusiro

Rough_Rock
Last update: I purchased the stone - I am very happy with the decision, I will be buying a setting locally and getting it set here.

I was finally able to get a straight answer out of Spence Diamonds for a comparable diamond... turns out the first person I spoke with didn't really know what they were talking about. For a diamond with the same specs, but not as good symmetry and polish the price they quoted was 6900$... more than double what I paid.

Needless to say I'm ecstatic!

Thank you very much for your help everyone, it is greatly appreciated!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Yusiro|1314830954|3006802 said:
Last update: I purchased the stone - I am very happy with the decision, I will be buying a setting locally and getting it set here.

I was finally able to get a straight answer out of Spence Diamonds for a comparable diamond... turns out the first person I spoke with didn't really know what they were talking about. For a diamond with the same specs, but not as good symmetry and polish the price they quoted was 6900$... more than double what I paid.

Needless to say I'm ecstatic!

Thank you very much for your help everyone, it is greatly appreciated!

Post hand shots!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! IS looks fine - looking forward to pictures!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results