shape
carat
color
clarity

help w/ estimating ct weight

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Margarw

Rough_Rock
i have a round mod. cut brilliant that the igi cert shows as measuring 6.18-6.22 x 4.00 mm. they estimated carat weight at 1.00 ct., but it looks smaller to me. does anyone know if this calcuation works, based on the measurement i listed? Tx.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
there was not a carat weight listed on the report?
33.gif
there is no 'calculation', one can guess what the weight might be based on the measurements but it's just that, a guess. this stone could be around 1ct. but the meaurements are on the small side.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
i assume it's mounted and that's why you say they "estimate".

with a depth of 64.5 it it possible to have a 1 carater with those measurement, even less.

depth is 64.5 by dividing 4 mm by 6.20 mm.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/12/2007 10:06:33 AM
Author:Margarw
i have a round mod. cut brilliant that the igi cert shows as measuring 6.18-6.22 x 4.00 mm. they estimated carat weight at 1.00 ct., but it looks smaller to me. does anyone know if this calcuation works, based on the measurement i listed? Tx.
These numbers dont add up to me to a 1 carater!!!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/12/2007 10:17:37 AM
Author: the other Jake
The best advice I can give you is STAY AWAY from the IGI cert. It is not worth the paper it is written on. Some jewelers just use it to make the stone look better on paper when you are really buying a crap diamond. Go with AGS or GIA- maybe EGL if you must.
That is not a fair comment...

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 10:20:21 AM
Author: DiaGem

Date: 1/12/2007 10:17:37 AM
Author: the other Jake
The best advice I can give you is STAY AWAY from the IGI cert. It is not worth the paper it is written on. Some jewelers just use it to make the stone look better on paper when you are really buying a crap diamond. Go with AGS or GIA- maybe EGL if you must.
That is not a fair comment...
Okay so maybe I slightly exaggerated my point... but it is not reliable as compared to GIA or AGS

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Margarw and Welcome to Pricescope!
35.gif

A while back, I had posted this thread to help calculate carat weights based on dimensions: Carat Weight Calc from Measurements-various shapes

Roughly, this diamond works out to 0.95 carats. I''m guessing the calc is based on ideal proportions, and this diamond might be a little deep, but it gives you a rough idea....

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
The dimensions and the grading lab would lead me to believe this is being sold as a 1-ct. stone.

The 1-ct stones most typically found in the chain stores tend to run fairly deep, so it shows in the (lack of) diameter. Most of the 1 ct stones found in chain stores measure in the 6.22 to 6.28 neighborhood. As Richard said, you''ll likely find thick girdles..........and/or deep pavilions.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results