shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP W/ 2 tourmaline STONES

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First one is too brown and muddy.

The second one has too much extinction - too dark.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
How about one of Gene''s pinks, maybe 677? What shade of pink are you looking for?

Heishman

Shiny_Rock
thank you tourmaline_lover.

I have never purchased a colored stone and am not familiar with what to look for in a tourmaline that is reddish pink.

I was informed that most reddish tourmalines will look brown? Is this really the case?

My budget is between $1000 - $1600 for stone and setting. I am currently looking at LOGR for a setting and have requested a quote from whiteflash.

Maybe I shouldn''t be looking at a tourmaline,? is there another type of stone that has a nice reddish color that would be in my price range?

Thanks again to all that can shed some light on this journey!!!!!!!

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
someone recently posted a great red spinel from ACS. maybe barry has more rough.

Heishman

Shiny_Rock
Hello mercoledi- I am looking for a more reddish then pink stone. I also was leaning towards an oval or possibly cushion cut.
I also wanted it to be around 2+ carats.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Not to sound like a broken record, by Kismet and I both posted this ringfor you yesterday that seems to meet most of your criteria and has a halo to boot.

Other dark red tourmalines:
Rick has this pink/red cushion and this orangy-pink mixed cut.
Or you might want to look into reddish spinels that don''t have too much grey in them.

Heishman

Shiny_Rock

I just sent out a few requests to Barry and Gene. Hopefully they can get back to me with some good news.

mercoledi- the ring you posted is not the shape nor size that I really like. It is also set to high for me. I do like the one that Rick has but it may be to much pink because he calls it bubble gum pink. I will contact him to see.

Thanks for all the help- Once I here back from the vendors I will get the advise of all you pricescope experts before I make my descision.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
That''s really pretty! You could do a halo for it but it would probably have to be custom.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
That''s a beautiful stone, and Barry does a wonderful job!

Barcelona

Shiny_Rock
You could probably purchase one of the LOGR halos and have it made to fit either of those stones. A number of people on this board have them (LaurenThePartier comes to mind, I think she has at least 2 cushion halos from LOGR). However, going through some of the other vendors for a full custom setting will probably be out of your budget.

Heishman

Shiny_Rock
That is what I am thinking Barcelona. If I purchase from LOGR would I send them my stone so they can set it to fit in one of their halos? I just want to make sure that if I purchase a stone I can have it set for a reasonable cost.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
You could try a spinel but I think you will get more bang for your buck with a pink tourmaline. You will find one, sometimes it just a little searching but the right stone will come along. Pink garnet is another option but it''s hard to find, most are pretty dark. With any vendor feel free to ask questions and some vendors will send additional pics if you ask.
Did you see that pink sapphire ring VR beauty posted? It''s pretty and in within your budget.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I like the Barry stone. He''s a very talented cutter.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
How about something peachy?
http://www.customgemstones.com/TOURMALINE/to1116.html

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not sure but I heard that LOGR will not set their customer''s stone because they are located in China?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2009 7:17:33 PM
Author: Chrono
I''m not sure but I heard that LOGR will not set their customer''s stone because they are located in China?
Find a good benchman to do the job where/near you live. That''s what I do. It costs a good benchman anywhere from $35 to $200 to set a stone. White gold is always more to set since you have to repolish and replate it in rhodium after setting. The average fee is around $50 to set a stone. I would not send it to LOGR in China to do the job. The S&H would be exhorbitant, and if they mess up, well then, you''re out of luck.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2009 11:07:22 AM
Author: Lucyh
thank you tourmaline_lover.

I have never purchased a colored stone and am not familiar with what to look for in a tourmaline that is reddish pink.

I was informed that most reddish tourmalines will look brown? Is this really the case?

My budget is between $1000 - $1600 for stone and setting. I am currently looking at LOGR for a setting and have requested a quote from whiteflash.

Maybe I shouldn't be looking at a tourmaline,? is there another type of stone that has a nice reddish color that would be in my price range?

Thanks again to all that can shed some light on this journey!!!!!!!
I have a red/pink tourmaline that looks pink in natural light and very red in incandescent. Here's a picture taken in diffused sunlight.

It's actually called a rubellite since it's color is supposed to mimic a ruby. However rubellites, true ones, are supposed to hold their color without going brown, in any lighting. I got it on ebay for $50 and it's a one carat stone. Here it is in my LOGR up close. I upgraded the diamonds on this setting, so that is why they sparkle.

Therefore, you can find pink tourmalines that don't go brown in artificial light, but they're kind of rare. I was lucky to find this one, and very inexpensive as well. The faceter told me he couldn't get any more of this material. Be leary of irradiated pink tourmaline as well. There's a ton of it on the market, so going through a faceter that is reputable will help you to alleviate that problem.

TLrubellite.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the same stone in incandescent light. No brown to my eye. It just goes slightly more red, but it holds it's color pretty well.

TLrube_incandescent.JPG

Heishman

Shiny_Rock

You all have been so helpful. Thank you.

I am currently talking to Gene about some rough that is the same color as http://precisiongem.com/html/html/PinkTourmaline.html
Gene can try to cut it into an ovalish shape appoxiamatly 3.5ct. I am just worried that if the size is not right I will not be able to purchase an LOGR setting. Any thoughts?

I am still considering this stone from Barry which is more pinkish then red
http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=141&idproduct=2733

I do really like more of the deeper red. Like in stone #1 from Gene.

Gemrite has the following but tourmaline_lover commented that it has has too much extinction - too dark.
I do really like the deep red of this stone. What is the downfall of it being too dark?

http://gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=209

Heishman

Shiny_Rock
tourmaline_lover- your ring is beautiful. I will also be looking at LOGR for a setting since whiteflash was out of the budget at this time. I have noticed that the rubellites are more of a red color which I really like. I am hoping to make a desicion soon because this has been keeping me up at night. My dh commented that if I can''t find the perfect stone know, that it will come along soon.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 9:02:08 AM
Author: Lucyh

You all have been so helpful. Thank you.

I am currently talking to Gene about some rough that is the same color as http://precisiongem.com/html/html/PinkTourmaline.html
Gene can try to cut it into an ovalish shape appoxiamatly 3.5ct. I am just worried that if the size is not right I will not be able to purchase an LOGR setting. Any thoughts?

I am still considering this stone from Barry which is more pinkish then red
http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=141&idproduct=2733

I do really like more of the deeper red. Like in stone #1 from Gene.

Gemrite has the following but tourmaline_lover commented that it has has too much extinction - too dark.
I do really like the deep red of this stone. What is the downfall of it being too dark?

http://gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=209
Thanks for the kind words on my ring. I know you don't see it, but I see brown in the gemrite tourmaline. It's there to me, and tourmaline also has this problem with going black in certain lighting. I only buy tourmaline that does not go black in various light sources. In fact most tourmaline goes black in incandescent light, and looks better in natural light. I actually like the color on my tourmalines better in incandescent light. This is one of the ways I judge a tourmaline actually.

I think what helps is when you compare a vibrant color to a stone with less than favorable secondary modifiers. When I say less than favorable secondary modifiers, usually grey, brown and sometimes yellow are not looked upon as a good thing in the gemstone trade. They can also help bring the price down on some gems though. But for me, I like to find the best color for my $$.

Paraibainternational.com has some pretty rubellite videos. Check those out to see some good colored stones. They're above your pricepoint, but at least you'll get an understanding of color by watching their video streams.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
It''s tough to tell in the photo. Spinels with purple tones in them sometimes go dark in certain lighting. Maybe you could get additional pics. Since you like deeper reds have you considered a lighter rhodolite? Like the color of this little square gem on this page. http://www.precisiongem.com/html/html/Garnet_Red.html
The only thing is some of them are really dark.

Also this site has some nice red gems. I think there might be a few spinels and tourmalines and sapphires.
http://www.djraregems.com/

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
How about a Sri Lankan spinel? These always seem to be a bargain and the colors are pretty nice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/11634-Spinel-Fine-Strawberry-Red-1-80cts-Oval_W0QQitemZ190292822680QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item190292822680&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1326%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50#ht_5013wt_909

Heishman

Shiny_Rock

Wow innerkitten!!!! That is a great deal. Why is it so inexpensive? I though spinel was suppose to be more then rubellite?

Well, the stone that I was eyeing that Barry suggested has already been sold. Someone most have just purchased it.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Yeah it looks like a great deal but I haven''t bought from that seller before. He does have good feedback though. Darker spinel is less expensive than the lighter colors plus this stone is from Sri Lanka. The Burmese ones and the Tanzanian ones are more expensive. But I think Sri Lanka is one of the first places spinel was mined, so famous spinels like the Black Prince''s Ruby might have been from that area.
But anyway, doesn''t Barry have anymore of those reddish pink tourmalines? Or was that it?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That spinel is highly included, that''s probably why it''s so inexpensive. It''s a pretty color though. I just bought a 1.5ct lilac/pink spinel on ebay for $25, but you have to be very very careful from who you''re buying from on ebay. All kinds of scams, photography tricks, fake stones, but I have found some amazing deals over the course of my years "ebaying." Heck, I might have bought a fake one regardless, but it does have specific spinel inclusions. I love it.

There''s a lot of man-made spinel on ebay, so be leary of that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results