shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Smudges on New Wood Floor

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Giada

Shiny_Rock
We just had new wood floors installed last week and I''ve not been able to get up a few smudges (cloudy areas) left by the installers.

It looks like it might possibly be adhesive and dust mixed together. ???? I''ve tried just about everything to get them up and I''m at my wit''s end.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

The are no-wax, hand-scraped and pretty dark (and everything shows up on this finish, I''m learning).

Thank you!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Could you take a picture? Were your floors laid with the use of adhesive...if so it could be glue as you suspect. It could also be raised grain.

How is the floor finished; oil, varnish/lacquer? If it is glue you will likely have to get the installers back to fix it. They will have to remove the finish on the section damaged (prob by sanding it) and gently re finish it to match the surrounding board(s). You could diy but you need to know the exact finishing product (ideally the same batch #) they used - easier to get them to fix their own mess!

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Steel. They floors are Engineered Brazilian Angelim with Poly finish. They were glued down (new house, so no sub-floor, only concrete).

It is difficult to get a picture of the smudges because they seem to disappear on camera.

Here are a couple of shots, though I don't think you can see the issue clearly. If you look at the boards closest to the windows/light, you can faintly see them.

DSC01437sm.JPG

Giada

Shiny_Rock
a little closer...

DSC01430sm.JPG

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Your home is beautiful. The decor including the flooring is so complimentary; you chose very well.

I'm sorry but I cant see the smudges from the pics. I 'm not even sure where to look in the sunny patches.

When you touch the smudges can you describe how they feel? If it is glue it will feel similar (but not sticky) as to when you peel off a label and everything sticks to the residue glue. But if it raised wood grain you will feel the individual grain patterns - it will follow the wood grain pattern whereas a glue stain will not.

Sorry I can't help you more.

Did you call the installers?

I'm sorry if this is obvious but have you tried cleaning the smudge with a gentle cleaner - sugarsoap for example? Could it be something treked in from outside on a shoe? I'm not meaning to be patronising just another suggestion.

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Your home is beautiful and the flooring looks spectacular!

A few years ago we had similar wood flooring installed which was also glue down. I remember the installers wiping the floors with Mineral Spirits to remove any glue residue. But I would definitely call them before doing anything yourself. Maybe they''ll come out and take care of it, that way if something goes wrong, you won''t void any warranties. Good luck!

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
Do the smudges go away and then return? Or will they not go away at all?

Unfortunately... we have espresso bamboo hardwood and, while gorgeous, it is an absolute nightmare to keep clean. Even walking on them tends to leave little smudgey marks (even with brand-new, clean socks on).

I like Method hardwood cleaner and the microfiber mop they sell. Does the best job of making the floors look nice - they just don't stay that way for long.

However, if they won't budge at all then it may be leftover glue. I would contact the installer and/or hardwood manufacturer to see what they suggest in that case.

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/6/2009 3:26:53 PM
Author: Steel
Your home is beautiful. The decor including the flooring is so complimentary; you chose very well.

I''m sorry but I cant see the smudges from the pics. I ''m not even sure where to look in the sunny patches.

When you touch the smudges can you describe how they feel? If it is glue it will feel similar (but not sticky) as to when you peel off a label and everything sticks to the residue glue. But if it raised wood grain you will feel the individual grain patterns - it will follow the wood grain pattern whereas a glue stain will not.

Sorry I can''t help you more.

Did you call the installers?

I''m sorry if this is obvious but have you tried cleaning the smudge with a gentle cleaner - sugarsoap for example? Could it be something treked in from outside on a shoe? I''m not meaning to be patronising just another suggestion.
Steel, thank you for the compliments on the decor. It is very much a work in progress. We moved in right before Thanksgiving, so I''ve been trying to do a little here and there as far as decorating goes. I want to do everything at once, but there''s that whole budget thing.
2.gif

You really can''t see the spots in the photos, nor can you really see them at night. They are really only visible during the day when the sun shines on them. They are not raised in any way, and they are not sticky. It just looks like a milky residue. I called the company that installed them and they are going to come out and take a look.

I''ve tried all the commercial cleaners for wood floors (Bruce, Bona, etc.) to no avail. I''ve heard that vinegar and water are supposed to work really well, but I''m afraid to try that. Have you had any experience with using vinegar and water on wood floors?

Thanks again for your help!

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/7/2009 12:02:16 AM
Author: luvmyhalo
Your home is beautiful and the flooring looks spectacular!

A few years ago we had similar wood flooring installed which was also glue down. I remember the installers wiping the floors with Mineral Spirits to remove any glue residue. But I would definitely call them before doing anything yourself. Maybe they''ll come out and take care of it, that way if something goes wrong, you won''t void any warranties. Good luck!
Thanks, Luvmyhalo.

I will suggest Mineral Spirits when the installers come out to take a look at my spots. I want to let THEM try it in case they ruin the finish.

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/7/2009 10:42:50 AM
Author: absolut_blonde
Do the smudges go away and then return? Or will they not go away at all?

Unfortunately... we have espresso bamboo hardwood and, while gorgeous, it is an absolute nightmare to keep clean. Even walking on them tends to leave little smudgey marks (even with brand-new, clean socks on).

I like Method hardwood cleaner and the microfiber mop they sell. Does the best job of making the floors look nice - they just don''t stay that way for long.

However, if they won''t budge at all then it may be leftover glue. I would contact the installer and/or hardwood manufacturer to see what they suggest in that case.
They disappear when the cleaner (Bruce or Bona) is applied and still sort of wet, but as soon as the floor dries completely, they are visible again.

I will try the Method cleaner to see if it will help at all. Thank you!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Giada I would just call the installers and/or floor team and have them come out and sand down the spots and revarnish, esp if you have tried a few things already, why bother messing around with it more when the experts would prob know what to do.

We moved into a new house (well new to us but not NEW, just entirely remodeled) in Jan and we had the contractor send the floor guys out again to sand down and revarnish a few areas that were not done right or scratched up. In fact our floors seem to easily scratch so we have to be careful OR have this done like every year!

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/7/2009 2:11:44 PM
Author: Mara
Giada I would just call the installers and/or floor team and have them come out and sand down the spots and revarnish, esp if you have tried a few things already, why bother messing around with it more when the experts would prob know what to do.

We moved into a new house (well new to us but not NEW, just entirely remodeled) in Jan and we had the contractor send the floor guys out again to sand down and revarnish a few areas that were not done right or scratched up. In fact our floors seem to easily scratch so we have to be careful OR have this done like every year!
Mara, I really appreciate the input! The floor guys should be back out on Monday to see what can be done. It's just such a bummer to have brand new wood floors (that I've wanted forever) be less than perfect.

We have a couple of scratches from moving the furniture around already, too, and I think it is because we chose such a dark color. I used a Minwax Stain Marker to fix it. That worked well.

I would love to see pictures of your new remodel! I remember seeing your townhouse and loving it!

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all that offered advice on my ordeal.

I wanted to post a SOLUTION in case anyone had a similar issue in the future.

Our contractor used a product called Rejuvenate Floor Restorer to fix the spots. He applied a couple of coats directly to the spots, then applied a coat of the product to the entire floor and it now looks amazing! I think they sell the product at Home Depot and Lowe''s.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I am so pleased your floors are fixed. Thank you for sharing the cure!

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for posting how they fixed it Giada. I just googled that product and WOW!!!!! I''m going to buy some to restore a portion of our wood floor that I thought we were going to have refinished. Thank you!!!!!

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/14/2009 5:31:59 PM
Author: luvmyhalo
Thanks so much for posting how they fixed it Giada. I just googled that product and WOW!!!!! I''m going to buy some to restore a portion of our wood floor that I thought we were going to have refinished. Thank you!!!!!
It did WONDERS for my floors. I''m now in love with them after being so disappointed.

Just a word of cautiion that it will raise the gloss level a bit. I was just fine with that, though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results