shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Should I buy this stripy step cut?

caratsearcher

Rough_Rock
Hi all (especially emerald cut experts!!!)

I have been searching for a great emerald cut to surprise my wife with. She likes a smaller ratio (1.25 - 1.3) and dramatic large corners. And of course I want to find her a diamond with the best light return (white and color) and a good face-up for the size. After a false start which has to be returned I have found this diamond:

Specs:

Shape: Emerald
carat weight: 1.01
color: D
clarity: VS1
polish: Very Good
symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: Medium
l/w/d (mm): **
depth %: 64.00
girdle: Thin
table %: 64.00
culet: None
certificate: GIA
crown ∠: 36.00
crown %: 13.60
pavilion ∠: 43.70
pavilion %: 47.80

Here is the video:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.01-carat-d-color-vs1-clarity-sku-725729

This diamond is sold as seen without an ASET or gemmologist's report. The SA has said that it should be a near perfect stone and as my wife likes blue fluoro it should be a great bargain.

However I would appreciate some input from any of you emerald cut experts. I'm hoping that the black and white stripes visible in the photo and video will make for a dramatic step pattern and the proportions should give excellent light return. But I'd love to hear other opinions as I am no expert on this stuff.

dvs1_1.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone coming in at 1.01 ct raises an eyebrow.
I suppose it's possible it was cut for top light performance and just happened to save enough weight to make that profitable 1-ct threshold ... but ... Hmmmm.

I would not buy a step cut without a properly-taken ASET pic.

caratsearcher

Rough_Rock
kenny|1447101523|3947399 said:
The stone coming in at 1.01 ct raises an eyebrow.
I suppose it's possible it was cut for top light performance and just happened to save enough weight to make that profitable 1-ct threshold ... but ... Hmmmm.

I would not buy a step cut without a properly-taken ASET pic.

That's interesting. Would you think that a diamond coming in just under 1ct would be a better bet? Or something closer to 1.1cts?

I have found a couple of diamonds of a similar weight with great ASETs but the shape and step pattern do not appeal to me as much as this diamond and unfortunately an ASET on this one is not possible (although I have ordered an ASET scope myself so can inspect it if I order it). But I need to be convinced enough to order it and take the hit on the exchange rate and possible cost of returning it as its an international order.

So any informed opinions based on the specs and video would be greatly appreciated, although I appreciate that this is not as good as having an ASET to interpret.

caratsearcher

Rough_Rock
Also, GIA calls this a cut cornered rectangular step cut, rather than an emerald cut. And the plot looks quite different to the standard emerald cut plot - more like an octagonal cobweb :) Will this have any impact on the light performance?

dvs1_1.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA calling it that is not a problem.
GIA's lawyers ensure they never on a GIA report call the cut anything that might be a patented/trademarked/registered cut name. (except for stating in the comments what's printed on the girdle)
Smart.

Others here are way more qualified than I to make a cut call based on the video.

Hopefully Chrono will chime in.
I once saw her emerald-cut diamond in person and I do believe it is the best-cut EC I've ever seen.
I'd say she knows how to pick 'em.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a unique cut! Wish it did come with an ASET to confirm what I am seeing though. Is it a high performing EC? No, but it is still better cut than most ECs in the market. The performance across the skinny part looks good but there is some weakness in at the ends. You'll have to decide whether the unique cut appeals enough to offset the decreased performance at the ends (they don't flash or step much when the stone is turned in the video).

caratsearcher

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1447166017|3947713 said:
What a unique cut! Wish it did come with an ASET to confirm what I am seeing though. Is it a high performing EC? No, but it is still better cut than most ECs in the market. The performance across the skinny part looks good but there is some weakness in at the ends. You'll have to decide whether the unique cut appeals enough to offset the decreased performance at the ends (they don't flash or step much when the stone is turned in the video).

Thanks Chrono, that's really helpful. From what you say and also based on my own preferences I think its going to be worth buying the stone.

I will let you know how it turns out.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE that stripey effect!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Very interesting stone! Please come back with more photos when you get it. Hope it's a beauty! :appl:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Caratsearcher: please follow up: are you satisfied with the purchase? Do you have photos of the finished ring? I'm interested to know how this all turned out, and to finally SEE it!! lol!
CRM

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results