shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP: Should I Buy This Stone?

creightonk

Rough_Rock
So after 3 months of harassing my local jewelers', returning a couple of diamonds purchased online, and driving myself absolutely crazy digging through PriceScope forums, I think I have found myself a decent stone (by my standards at least). Please give me your thoughts!

AGS #: 104112409003
1.361 (7.18 -7.22 x 4.29)
Color: H
Eye-clean SI1
AGS Ideal 000
HCA 1.1

Things to note: It is a branded Fire & Ice stone and I'm paying about $12.5K for it, which by WF standards is a tad high, but hey, the stone has tremendous fire and I've been a pain in my jeweler's ass trying to track down a decent stone. Please tell me if I'm paying way too much and should just resort to WF.

Video of Diamond: https://agslab.com/ym-vdgr/en-us/diamonds/fire-and-ice/104112409003/video

1621259090700.png
1621259105742.png 1621259116033.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you see the stone in person? It looks to be a nice stone but you are paying about $2k more than a Super Ideal (that's a lot
in my mind but you may feel otherwise).

A lot of us own ACA stones so we could be a bit biased :). I personally would not pay $2k more when I can have a Super Ideal
AGS000, H&A stone with a nice trade-up policy and all the images to prove that it performs. Of course, you have to go with what
you're comfortable with.

Here is a thread on ACAs...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also it doesnt look as good as a super ideal, imho. The cut looks less nice than most AGS 000. Can you post the cert?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
What if you buy a WF stone and use the savings to have your jeweler make the setting? Your jeweler still makes some money and you will have the WF pricing and upgrade for peace of mind...

creightonk

Rough_Rock
Did you see the stone in person? It looks to be a nice stone but you are paying about $2k more than a Super Ideal (that's a lot
in my mind but you may feel otherwise).

A lot of us own ACA stones so we could be a bit biased :). I personally would not pay $2k more when I can have a Super Ideal
AGS000, H&A stone with a nice trade-up policy and all the images to prove that it performs. Of course, you have to go with what
you're comfortable with.

Here is a thread on ACAs...

I did see the stone in person! Compared to everything else I had seen in person, it by-far had the most life. The trade-up policy isn't something I had thought of, and just realized that my jeweler has the double-up rule, so that might be what pushes me to WF.

Also, here is the cert: https://agslab.com/ym-vdgr/en-us/diamonds/fire-and-ice/104112409003/grading-report

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did see the stone in person! Compared to everything else I had seen in person, it by-far had the most life. The trade-up policy isn't something I had thought of, and just realized that my jeweler has the double-up rule, so that might be what pushes me to WF.

Also, here is the cert: https://agslab.com/ym-vdgr/en-us/diamonds/fire-and-ice/104112409003/grading-report

Aha, now I see why it's not my favorite. It's a 60/60 style diamond rather than the more traditional "ideal" cut. I would strongly suggest going with wf to save money AND get an amazing upgrade policy.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
It's well cut, but I wouldn't pay any kind of premium for it. I don't love the visuals of the proportions, or the clarity

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Add me to the bucket of naysayers.

The one advantage the Fire & Ice stone has is because it's nearing a 60/60 style, it is spreading the weight out more in the horizontal plane resulting in more spread for less carat weight.

As opposed to ACA or other branded super ideals that are based on Tolk proportions that will have higher crowns, etc and be more even distributed so they will carry a little more weight in the vertical plane and consequently a little less spread for identical weight.

For reference, the Fire & Ice stone is 1.361 carats and has a 7.20mm spread. Despite having a nice spread, below are 4 examples of ACA's delivering a better bang for the buck before you even consider the trade perks.

1. WF ACA 1.371 H-SI1 @ $9,467 wire

Near identical, but $3k cheaper. 7.10mm spread.

2. WF ACA 1.411 H-SI1 @ $10,544 wire

Same color & clarity. A smidge larger, and still $2k cheaper. 7.20mm spread.

3. WF ACA 1.433 F-SI1 @ $12,586 wire

Larger & a bump to F color for the same price as the fire & ice stone. 7.25mm spread.

4. WF ACA 1.515 H-SI1 @ $12,069 wire

You can cross the 1.5 carat barrier for $500 less, same color & same clarity. 7.35mm spread.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think the Fire & Ice is a very nice stone. At the sake of being extremely picky look at some of the minor inconsistencies in the hearts as well. The V's are uneven. The tips are slightly twisted. I didn't circle them but looking further at the tips near the center of the stone you see even more inconsistencies.

Again, an extremely nice stone, and these are all nuances. But just pointing out how the ACA's are a little tighter cut is all.

I will say I like the 75 LGF's. Fat arrows that help bring those bolder rainbow flashes and may help offset some of the white light return of the larger table and shallower crown.

Inkedoph104112409003_LI.jpg

104112409003 Page 001 (Large).png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results