shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP round 1.52 carat G VS2 GIA attached, is it a good stone

ipoel7

Rough_Rock
Hi All

I'm trying to decide soon to get a round diamond to make a necklace. My jeweler gave me this diamond 1.52 G VS2 carat for approximately $16K OR a 1.73 carat E SI1 , GIA 1126696237 for approx $21K.

I am leaning towards the 1.52 carat because of the price and he said the size of the 1.73 carat is not that big a jump, but the price is.

What do you thin of the 1.52 carat GIA spec below? I am only familiar with the cut, color, polish, symmetry, not familiar with the other specs. Is this a good buy? Let me know soon please... I need to make a decision like today because this will be for my wedding jewelry that is coming up.

GIA Report Check
GIA REPORT NUMBER: 17435715

Report Type: GIA Diamond Grading Report
Date of Issue: June 26, 2008
Laser Inscription Registry: 17435715
ROUND BRILLIANT

Measurements: 7.48 - 7.54 x 4.51 mm
Carat Weight: 1.52 carat
Color Grade: G
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut Grade: Excellent
PROPORTIONS:

Depth: 60.1%
Table: 58%
Crown Angle: 33.0°
Crown Height: 13.5%
Pavilion Angle: 41.4°
Pavilion Depth: 44.0%
Star length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted
Culet: None
FINISH:

Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Comments: Pinpoints are not shown.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: HELP round 1.52 carat G VS2 GIA attached, is it a good s

Run it through the HCA tool... any score below a tool is a pass, no score under a 2 is better than any other.

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

Then see what other stones with similar specifications are going for to see if you are getting a good price at this link: https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-search-results/

If you have a stone that is 2 or lower on the HCA and the price is at or lower than other stones with similar specs then you have a good deal.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

If i did it right, it's a 3.1 on the HCA-- which gets a 'very good' in all categories and is summed up at "buy if the price is right" . At 16K the price seems to be pretty good--- similar stones are going for around 17K. So it's not a great deal, but it's solid.

Your decision.

You said it is for a necklace not a ring... which makes it a slightly different decision in my mind.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Premium-Cut-Round-Diamond-1373193.asp This is the diamond I compared it to. It scores 2.5 on the HCA-- very good in all categories and a "buy if the price is right" is also a G VS2 and with the pricescope pricing is around 17K.

To get an excellent/ideal cut you would have to go up to to the high 18K's or 19K.

r123

Rough_Rock

love the necklace design.. next project for me .. maybe ... :naughty:

ipoel7

Rough_Rock

yes it's a pretty setting :) so out of curiosity, how is looking for a round diamond for a ring different than looking for a necklace? what to look for when looking for a diamond for ring vs necklace? please do educate me.. i am new to this whole thing but i'd hope to have more diamonds in the future (crossing finger)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think that I am normally more stringent with my parameters when ring shopping v. pendant shopping for the following reasons:

1) the only time I would be seeing the pendant when I'm wearing it is if it's on a long chain or I'm looking in the mirror VS. a ring on my finger, which I could hold right up to my face to gaze lovingly at. :)

2) other people admiring - someone may hold your hand closer to their face to get a good look without violating any social norms, whereas if someone were to get that close to your pendant, there may be grounds for sexual harrassment :cheeky: So inclusions that may be seen in a ring may not be as obvious in a pendant based on the other party's "gazing distance." :)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Pretty necklace :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

PintoBean|1312932284|2987518 said:
I think that I am normally more stringent with my parameters when ring shopping v. pendant shopping for the following reasons:

1) the only time I would be seeing the pendant when I'm wearing it is if it's on a long chain or I'm looking in the mirror VS. a ring on my finger, which I could hold right up to my face to gaze lovingly at. :)

2) other people admiring - someone may hold your hand closer to their face to get a good look without violating any social norms, whereas if someone were to get that close to your pendant, there may be grounds for sexual harrassment :cheeky: So inclusions that may be seen in a ring may not be as obvious in a pendant based on the other party's "gazing distance." :)

Plus, normally pendants don't get as dirty as rings... so their light return is less likely to be compromised by oils and stuff (keep your diamonds clean folks) and also they hang vertically so they catch the light at less angles than rings (which are constantly in motion)-- especially give your pendant design choice.

I too am MUCH more forgiving of inclusions if it's not in a ring, and of color too. As long as it's white enough face up... the sideview isn't in my face all the time like it is with a ring. SO if there is some color... that's okay too.

ipoel7

Rough_Rock

thanks all.. that's really useful insights for me :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results