carat
color
clarity

Help reading ASET on IDJ stud stones

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hello PriceScope community -
Can I get some help understanding if these stones, proposed by IDJ are good for a studs?

I am looking to maximize size / visual impact, and my budget is $3500 - though the pair below come in under 3k

Stone A: 0.6 CT J SI1
HCA: 1.5
Depth: 62.4%
Table: 57%
Crown Angle: 35.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.6

Stone B: 0.6 CT I SI2
HCA: 1.3
Depth: 62.2%
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 35.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.6

29_j_si1_0.jpg

77_i_si1_0.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they are okay as long as the diameters match. The first one has a spot with leakage, but it is probably fine for studs. The second one looks fine. But ideally, when looking for diamonds for studs, I'd try to go less than 62 on depth to get more spread (diameter) if possible. What are the diameters?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are nice enough in terms of color and clarity. And it is great that they are under budget (I am all for not having to hit your budget maximum. Penny saved, penny earned). I'd personally go for J's Si1/Vs2 just like you are, but ask for 60/60 stones instead of those, with a crown angle 33.5-35 and pavilion angle 40.6-40.8. They will be cheaper as the trade discounts 60/60 and they favor white light over colored light. I would also ask if they can come up with ones with fluorescence with no negative effect, cause that would be IDEAL. It would bring the price down and help them face up whiter.

I'd stick to the 3000 budget. I think it's perfectly reasonable and do not think you need to go 3500.

Basically, unless you are on a tight timeline I'd ask IDJ to keep looking and this time for great 60/60's.

One place I would splurge is on the settings. I would go for platinum settings.

Also, ask about upgrading. IDJ may be willing to offer you an upgrade policy (in writing on your documentation) if you ask.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Two diamonds, like this, is what I'd go for:
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8034421-0.60-carat-Round-diamond-J-color-SI1-Clarity.aspx?sku=8034421&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com Should be eyeclean. 60/60. Totally affordable and has fluorescence.

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8126584-0.60-carat-Round-diamond-J-color-VS1-Clarity.aspx?sku=8126584&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com Great match for it.

That means a pair should be under 2700 without a wire discount. And then you can get nice handmade (IDJ has a handforged bench) platinum settings.

(41 is okay for the pavilion angle when paired with 34 crown with GIA).

(AS B2C is a drop shipper, mostly, IDJ may even be able to get that EXACT pair for you and price match. B2C has an upgrade policy they may match as well).

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you Gypsy and DS!

Seems like you guys have a difference of opinion re: moving up in specs. Care to elaborate? Or is this just your personal preferences / sweet spots talking?

Also, do I need to get ASETs to evaluate the B2C stones? Or given the parameters Gypsy provided, would I be good to go regardless?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd be ok with those without an ASET. But would always like an IS if available.

And yes, DS and I have different preferences on this sort of thing.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personal preference, definitely! I have had several pairs of WF studs, so I am recommending what I actually buy for myself, and I do enjoy having top quality diamonds even for studs. But do you have to? Of course not. You said what your budget was, and I showed you the best quality you could get for your money. But if saving money is your priority, then certainly you can spend less. I just didn't think the WF stones were enough more than the IDJ stones to make it worth getting the cheaper ones. The WF ones seemed like a better deal to me for a few hundred more (larger and higher cut quality and clarity). I think the stones Gypsy linked are fine, but the WF ones do have a slightly bigger diameter, 5.5+mm versus 5.4mm since they are around .64 cts. So if you want to go with stones like the ones at B2C, I'd definitely go larger than .60 since your budget is greater than the price of those.

I do personally have platinum settings, but I only recommend them if the person is certain they will not be upgrading. If you think you might someday upgrade, then go for the cheapest white gold settings, hopefully under $200. You won't be able to reuse them once you upgrade size and you won't get much in scrap value for them. Speaking from experience on that, as well! :lol:

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks. Interestingly, IDJ basically said that if I liked those stones, I should buy them - and that they don't prefer 60/60s so didn't want to offer alternatives. They have shown me 3 pairs, one which was rejected by the PS-hive on another thread, others that were Fs and clearly not eye-clean, and the pair above. Perhaps that is "wearing out my welcome" in looking for stones in this price range?

Given that - whats your experience working with B2C? Would you feel comfortable?

Also, I'm with DS. I'm likely not at a forever-size, so don't want to invest in settings, and would prefer to look into what sort of size I could get with my budget.

Any advice on what to do next?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tuckie|1459115270|4011829 said:
Thanks. Interestingly, IDJ basically said that if I liked those stones, I should buy them - and that they don't prefer 60/60s so didn't want to offer alternatives. They have shown me 3 pairs, one which was rejected by the PS-hive on another thread, others that were Fs and clearly not eye-clean, and the pair above. Perhaps that is "wearing out my welcome" in looking for stones in this price range?

Given that - whats your experience working with B2C? Would you feel comfortable?

Also, I'm with DS. I'm likely not at a forever-size, so don't want to invest in settings, and would prefer to look into what sort of size I could get with my budget.

Any advice on what to do next?
Tuckie who are you dealing with over at IDJ that is making you feel like you are wearing out your welcome? From my experience with IDJ, they are VERY customer centric and particularly value their Pricescope clientele. I know Yekutiel has been out of office this week...

I would go with either the IDJ pair you posted above or the WF pair DS picked out. I have never seen any settings in real life or on PS from B2C so I am not comfortable recommending them. IDJ and WF also both have good upgrade policies, and nice settings. Just my two cents :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results