shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Please

dabowhunter

Rough_Rock
Hi, can you kind folks help me with your thoughts on the following diamond.
It is a 1.01 carat round brilliant cut. The certification is from IGI which calls it an I in color, VS2 in clarity and good/good in polish/symetery. I see no grade for cut on the pic of the certificate I was sent. The dimensions are 6.21-6.24 x 4.08. I know next to nothing but the size does not seem right for a 1 carat round. Also does not IGI give a grade for cut? Based on this info can I get some thoughts on the quality (or lack there of) of this diamond. Appreciate this site dabow

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
This is not measuring how it should, and I am sure the color, clarity is not what your paying for. I think I would look for some better choices, perhaps if you posted your budget we could help you find a much better stone than that.

dabowhunter

Rough_Rock
I was looking more in the 3/4 carat range of round with about a 3K budget. Saw this in secondary market and thought I would see what folks here think of it. But yes any help appreciated in finding a nice piece.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are many round diamonds with exceptional light return on JamesAllen.com

here is one I liked, I did this in a hurry for you, Its a J color, but I think I would bet on this stone vs the one you have asked about. You don't have enough info on crown and pavilion angle..

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Good-Cut-Round-Diamond-1306221.asp

There are many diamonds that are .80 and up within your price range this is just one example.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if you know a lot about JA, but if you call them their gemologist will look at up to three diamonds at a time for you to see which is the best stone. Here are three that I think would be worth having them look at for you. Also if you do purchase from them make sure you get the PS discount :appl:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1360552.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1372034.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1362092.asp

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The stone your post with the IGI cert measures very small for weight so it likely not well cut. I would not consider it further, personally.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dabowhunter|1304021288|2907256 said:
Hi, can you kind folks help me with your thoughts on the following diamond.
It is a 1.01 carat round brilliant cut. The certification is from IGI which calls it an I in color, VS2 in clarity and good/good in polish/symetery. I see no grade for cut on the pic of the certificate I was sent. The dimensions are 6.21-6.24 x 4.08. I know next to nothing but the size does not seem right for a 1 carat round. Also does not IGI give a grade for cut? Based on this info can I get some thoughts on the quality (or lack there of) of this diamond. Appreciate this site dabow
for a well cut stone it should be closer to 6.45-6.50mm.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

dabowhunter

Rough_Rock
can you tell me what "IS image" is please. Thanks

dabowhunter

Rough_Rock
Heres the IS of the 473. Gemologist says its perfectly eye clean. Price is about the same as the 0143. The 143 I am told has whiter light performance of the two. I am leaning toward going with the 0143 but need to clarify what face eye clean means and if it is an issue. Thanks for any help forthcoming.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b304/dabowhunter/GetAttachment-1.jpg

dabowhunter

Rough_Rock
try again. heres the 0143 I hope

1380143id.jpg

dabowhunter

Rough_Rock
And the 473 image here. The 955 was not recommended d/t brown hue.

GetAttachment.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dabowhunter|1307622307|2941529 said:
"face eye clean because its inclusions are low relief and blend nicely"
this is what the gemologist said about the stone. Can some one tell me what face eye clean means Please.
here is the IS image. Does it look good? this is the 1380143.
http://i22.hosting site images not allowed/albums/b304/dabowhunter/1380143id.jpg

That means when looking at the face of the diamond you can not see the inclusion. The diamond might not be clean when you
look at it from the side. This may or may not bother you. When they look at stones for eye-clean it is usually from 6 inches
away. If this is JA...you might want to ask them.

Your link didnt take me anywhere however, it is an AGS0 stone and has been graded a 0 for light return so the is image should
be good.

Just wanted to point out (in case it matters at all) that the Whiteflash stones have a better trade-in policy than the JA
stones.

BTW...the link you posted below is not taking me anywhere either. Can you load the images into you post?

EDIT - This is from JAs site...
"Eye-Clean" is a term used to describe a diamond that is clean to an unaided eye in a face-up position from a distance of 8 to 10 inches. Diamonds of VS2 or higher in quality will always be eye-clean. Diamonds of Si1, Si2 and I1 need to be visually inspected to determine whether any inclusions are visible from the top. We can inspect any diamond at no charge.

dabowhunter

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info. should be able to see IS now. I suppose most people view the stone looking at the face so side flaws are not a big deal? Also would the setting possibly hide some of them? If so would a six prong work better than a four at hiding them?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
dabowhunter|1307625240|2941560 said:
Thanks for the info. should be able to see IS now. I suppose most people view the stone looking at the face so side flaws are not a big deal? Also would the setting possibly hide some of them? If so would a six prong work better than a four at hiding them?

It just depends on what you want from the diamond. Some people want it to be eye-clean from all angles. Maybe ask JA at what distance it is eye-clean and if it is eye-clean from the side and top or just the top? If you are concerned with it being eye-clean go for the I VS2, or you could always take advantage of their return program and get it sent to you loose before you get it set.

dabowhunter

Rough_Rock
I am leaning toward the I vs2. just thinking that although others that look at her ring will most likely look at mostly the face view, she will be gazing at it from all angles.

Also am thinking of a solitare four prong knife edge setting. Not sure to get the white or yellow gold. Any thoughts on how yellow gold setting would affect this diamond?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
dabowhunter|1307627193|2941582 said:
I am leaning toward the I vs2. just thinking that although others that look at her ring will most likely look at mostly the face view, she will be gazing at it from all angles.

Also am thinking of a solitare four prong knife edge setting. Not sure to get the white or yellow gold. Any thoughts on how yellow gold setting would affect this diamond?

I think this diamond would look great in either white or yellow gold. What does she prefer? Is the rest of her jewelry mostly white gold or yellow gold?

dabowhunter

Rough_Rock
good point. most of her jewelry is yellow. Yellow won't make the color of the diamond look yellow will it?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
no, it will not look yellow. sometimes yellow gold settings will have white gold or platinum prongs, but sometimes not.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You have made a nice selection! If her jewelery is yellow gold the nopt for yellow, but I would probably suggest a platinum head on the ring, so that the prongs blend with the stone and are unobtrusive.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results