shape
carat
color
clarity

Help please! Sister''s Christmas present...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Hey all!

I''m having a serious problem for my sister''s Christmas present. I just finished my finals today and I realized Christmas is next week!
23.gif
Seriously, having finals in college is like living on another planet...
14.gif

So, my sister wants an MP3 reader. Since my siblings and I are all college students, we have an established budget of 30$ per person per gift. My brother and I are buying our sister''s gift together, so we have a 60$ (CAN) budget, or 120$ if we decide to give a Christmas-and-birthday present. The thing is, I know nothing about these gadgets; I haven''t been able to reach my brother and my FI is likewise unreachable right now (and in Edmonton), but I have to make the purchase ASAP.

Do any of you know anything about those? What''s good, what''s bad? What''s good and fits our budgets?

TIA!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
anchor, I know nothing about them. I''d start a new thread with what you''re needing info on in the title, that might help.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I got an ex-bf a creative labs one once. He loved it and, for the rest of the time we were together at least (6 months?), he never had any problems with it. A roommate had the same one and had had it for a few years and loved it. From looking on their site, it appears that they don''t make the one I got him anymore though. I think the Ipods are always a good bet too.

I think my sister might have a zen micro, but it looks like they''re $200.

FI suggested you look into Rio.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
You''re smart to set a budget! We just bought an mp3 player for my MIL, 2 MB and it cost $60. It was the one she said she wanted, but is wrapped now and I can''t remember the brand. I highly recommend the ipods. The smallest one is the shuffle, which is ideal for the gym, commuting, etc because it is tiny! It holds something like 240 of your favorite songs and they get all shuffled, hence the name. You don''t select the song you feel like listening to, rather just listen to them on random order. It is $79. The full featured ipods are awesome and start at $149. These are USD. Often times you can get an educational discount, maybe 5% since you are a student!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think macmall offers an educational discount. I had a Rio a LONG time ago (maybe 6-7 years ago) and it worked fine. Now I have an ipod but use it more as an external hard drive for work than music. My brother LOVES his ipod but they are slightly over your budget. Maybe you can get your FI to join in so the gift fund is larger.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for your advice and input, I really appreciate it. If it comes to it we''ll probably ask the parents to contribute.

Any other brands or types you like?

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Anchor~
I can''t say enough good things about my ipod. I absolutely love it. The cheapest one is the shuffle though, and I just checked the apple store and it will cost you around $79 (US). About two or three years ago I received a rio. I liked it, it worked well, except it didn''t have a lot of storage space (only 128 mb I think) but it did the job! Check out the rio, I''m sure you can find one in your budget...or take a browse around a local electronic store. Did you search for mp3 threads? I remember a few threads...so do a search girl! Here''s a couple...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mp3-vs-ipod.34632/=

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ipod-mp3-player.52150/=

cara

Ideal_Rock
I am a big mac fan, so... Shuffle is 79 US and holds 1 GB;

If you ask for parental help:
Nano has a screen, and is made in 2,4,and 8 GB versions for roughly 150, 200, and 250 US.

All are flash based (no hard drive) so they can take a fair bit of abuse.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone!

We''ve been talking with the parents and they''re a bit peeved that she says an iPod shuffle "isn''t enough". My bother and I could afford the shuffle, but not the nano... We''ll talking to our sister again and discuss it some more with the parents... but at least we''re down to two choices.

Thanks again!
35.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I have to say that if I were getting an mp3 player, I wouldn''t really be happy with the shuffle either. It would bother me that you can only listen to your songs in a random order. Don''t get me wrong, the shuffle feature is awesome, but I like to be able to pick out what song I want to listen to too.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
the shuffle does play in a non-shuffle mode, but you have to create your playlist in the exact order you vvant.

ok, I spilled tea on my laptop and my tab key and my double-u key don''t function!!! ARGH!!! That''s to v''s in the vvant up there!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 12:01:11 PM
Author: sumbride
the shuffle does play in a non-shuffle mode, but you have to create your playlist in the exact order you vvant.

ok, I spilled tea on my laptop and my tab key and my double-u key don''t function!!! ARGH!!! That''s to v''s in the vvant up there!
Oh, cool! I had no idea. I thought there was only a shuffle mode!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 12:04:57 PM
Author: robbie3982
Date: 12/20/2006 12:01:11 PM

Author: sumbride

Oh, cool! I had no idea. I thought there was only a shuffle mode!

That''s the old one anyay, don''t kno if the ne one does. I''ll check hen I''m in the apple store this afternoon hopefully getting my laptop fixed. This keyboard is making me batty.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Well, my brother ordered an iPod nano from the Apple website and we had something engraved on it. We put 60$ each on it and it will be her Christmas and her birthday present; the parents are paying the remaining 54$. We probably won''t receive it until Monday (I can''t believe Christmas is on Monday!), but I hope she likes it!

Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results