shape
carat
color
clarity

Help on diamond studs

Sparklelearner

Rough_Rock
I am asking for opinions re. diamond stud earrings.
I have a ring set diamond(locally graded as 1.003ct, I color,VVS2, 6.42 x 6.3 x 3.92mm,depth 61.64, table 63, girdle med to thick, culet=small, polish = very good, symmetry = very good, natural diamond, 14% crown, 43.7%pavilion.

Would this diamond make a better pair if I found a suitable match than my existing studs- see info. next:

Existing pair: 1st diamond = EGL report-G, VS2, 0.7 cts, 5.78x5.77x3.47mm, depth 60.1%, table 59, crown hgt 14, pavilion depth 43,girdle -slightly thick, polish = excellent, symmetry, excellent, culet=none

2nd diamond = Int. Gem Instit. report -I, SI1, 0.7cts, 5.77x5.83x3.4mmm depth 58.6, table61, crown hgt 12, pavilion depth43, girdle-med to slightly thick, faceted, culet=none, polish =very good, symmetry = very good.

A local jewelry store matched my existing studs for me. The colors don't match as you can see, but I guess they did it based on size?

Appreciate any help/advice- Thanks!

Sparklelearner

Rough_Rock
I haven't received any replies, so thought maybe I should clarify what I am asking.
Basically, I want to know what color diamonds are typically used for a 2 ctw stud earrings?
and if anyone on the forum has an opinion based on the specs i gave if the ring set 1 ct I color VVS2 diamond would be something suitable for a pair of stud earrings?
thank you.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I'm. A little confused .
your current studs are .7 and the new stone is 1 carat.

apples and oranges. Just find stone that works with the 1 carats and make a new pair. Sort of an upgrade.

Sparklelearner

Rough_Rock
I'm. A little confused .
your current studs are .7 and the new stone is 1 carat.

apples and oranges. Just find stone that works with the 1 carats and make a new pair. Sort of an upgrade.

Thank you for the reply. I was hoping going up to 1ct/ear would be a noticeable upgrade from my current 0.7ct/ear, but perhaps not noticeable enough and especially if using I color. Thank you again.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, sorry for the lack of reply. I’m calling others experienced member to give their advice @LLJsmom @diamondseeker2006 @mrs-b sorry for the untagged other members, you’re all awesome!

Imho for the color its all preferences. If you’re OK with I color, its OK to have an I color studs. Just make sure it is matched well. How to match studs, color wise, you might match it with same color grade or 1 color grade higher/lower if you don’t mind with J. If you mind about J then, just stick with same color (I color) or H color.
As other aspects, instead of matching it with the carat weight, its better to match it based on diameter. Same carat weight which cut deeper will resulting in smaller in diameter. I think up to 0.07mm difference in diameter is still OK.

oh and as for the clarity, you don’t need to get VVS to save some money, the keyword on this is eyeclean, SI1 is Ok as long as its eyeclean. But if you’re not sure, VS2 is more than OK.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My previous diamonds studs were a lot smaller than you're planning (.55ct each), but both ideal cuts, on an I and one a J. They were WHITE!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Putting color aside, I’m concerned you are looking at EGL and IGI stones. Also, you said your current diamond has a table of 63?... what shape is the diamond?

Sparklelearner

Rough_Rock
Putting color aside, I’m concerned you are looking at EGL and IGI stones. Also, you said your current diamond has a table of 63?... what shape is the diamond?

Currently own the EGL & IGI stones as earring pair-purchased yrs ago at local reputable jewelry store that will buy back for upgrade. Re. the 1 ct. stone you asked about-see attached pic. Appraisal report indeed says a 63 table-very old stone that my grandfather purchased upon his return from WWI. I reset into the current ring, but am considering it for earrings. I believe it appears white (with a very slight color only if really looking under certain lighting conditions), and sparkly enough for an earring, but don't want to make a mistake when I could just keep as is and upgrade current pair. Per info. on this website, it isn't unreasonable to have I color studs. I am new to website, and learning all about certificates, grading, etc. -very enjoyable!

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_3553.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3553.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 7

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Currently own the EGL & IGI stones as earring pair-purchased yrs ago at local reputable jewelry store that will buy back for upgrade. Re. the 1 ct. stone you asked about-see attached pic. Appraisal report indeed says a 63 table-very old stone that my grandfather purchased upon his return from WWI. I reset into the current ring, but am considering it for earrings. I believe it appears white (with a very slight color only if really looking under certain lighting conditions), and sparkly enough for an earring, but don't want to make a mistake when I could just keep as is and upgrade current pair. Per info. on this website, it isn't unreasonable to have I color studs. I am new to website, and learning all about certificates, grading, etc. -very enjoyable!

That's great that you can upgrade your current earring pair. And yes, of course, I color is lovely for earrings. The diamond that your grandfather purchased is so special - you should keep and then hand down to the next generation! Looking forward to seeing your new earrings!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results