shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Newbie seeking your expertise

mulac

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

Firstly I apologize in advance as you probably get this all the time, and I hope I'm following proper etiquette for a new post. I've been roaming around your forums for a few weeks, as well as other resources but I'm still so hesitant on buying a diamond online with my lack of knowledge and experience. Now there is only a few weeks until my planned proposal, I'd love to get some help from you all.

I've been focusing my ring/diamond search at James Allen, and I think I've found the setting I want thanks to inspiration from this post:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ja-ering-she-said-yes.140246/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ja-ering-she-said-yes.140246/[/URL]

Setting: https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/side-stones/14k-white-gold-054ct-common-prong-round-shaped-diamond-engagement-ring-item-1105

Now for the diamond. I'd ideally like somewhere around the 0.8ct size. A few places I've seen have said to spend more on the cut and sacrifice the clarity, but I find this hard to quantify when looking at the diamonds at 20x zoom in a similar price range.

This is the best of the bunch that I could find, although I'd ideally like to spend less than $3000 (Brexit hasn't helped with this figure!):
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.81-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1791540
I notice these diamonds don't have an HCA, and this ring seems a little hazy from the photo, although there looks to be hardly any imperfections. I've asked one of the JA 'experts' who have said that this is a perfectly eye-clean diamond.

What's your thoughts? Do you know of any better to fit into my price range? I'm based in the UK (but from New Zealand), and I haven't managed to find any better deals on this side of the world.

Thanks a lot for your time, it's really appreciated!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You need an idealscope image with a 36 crown. Looks good from photo.

mulac

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1469054959|4057721 said:

Thanks for the quick reply. HCA is 1.8 according to the HCA calculator on this site. James Allen have advised that they can't provide an IdealScope image for this diamond as it's outside of the NY region. I guess it's not worth taking the risk on it in that case.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
mulac|1469056333|4057728 said:
Gypsy|1469054959|4057721 said:

Thanks for the quick reply. HCA is 1.8 according to the HCA calculator on this site. James Allen have advised that they can't provide an IdealScope image for this diamond as it's outside of the NY region. I guess it's not worth taking the risk on it in that case.

Not for me, no. Stick to a 34-35 crown if they can't get you an idealscope image.

mulac

Rough_Rock

mulac

Rough_Rock
Does this diamond seem dull to anybody else? Or is it just my untrained eye?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy posted this on another thread. I think it's meant here. Ask about the wisps affecting clarity.

Gypsy|1470045699|4061245 said:
Crown is low. Ideally you want a crown over 33.5 to lower chipping risk and also for more fire. If the girdle is thin anywhere you'd have to pass because the chipping risk would be too high. It is HUGE though in terms of spread. The girdle says medium so that's good. The ASET is great. It will favor white light over colored light and fire.

If it is eye clean AND all those wisps aren't affecting transparency then you are okay.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mulac|1469373479|4058813 said:
Further searching has led me to believe that my target price bracket was a little optimistic, so I've dropped the carat a bit to fit my budget.

I've found this one, with a slightly lower crown (33.5), but with an IdealScope image:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.75-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1845731

Can anybody see any "Stay away" signs on this that I've missed? Or a similar stone that matches better to my needs? Thanks again for your help!
3/4c is a decent size and it's got a good spread. I color is generally safe. VS2 is very safe as well and the photo confirms there should not be a clarity issue. Therefore, there are low chances of returning this stone for any color/clarity issue, important for a UK shopper as return will cost you a fortune.
The IS shows there is no light leakage. Sure, the crown is 33.5, but it is still GIA XXX, potentially AGS 0, and HCA 2.0. Some of the best cut stones have a crown angle of 33.5.
It is well priced for a True Hearts.

Well priced, well balanced, and safe investment

mulac

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much everone. I am a little worried about the wisping still (even after I have spoken to JA who advise that it's eye clean and as a VS2, the wisping won't impact transperency) , and I like the fire in a diamond (which is said to be reduced due to the shallow crown) so I'm gathering an IS for the latest stone suggested by EB, thank you for that.

I'm now cutting it tight on time and need to purchase it by Friday, so if I don't get the IS by Friday, is it too risky to purchase without? Or would it be safer to lose out on the fire and purchase the stone we can see won't lose light. I can't find anything similar that already has an IS available.

You guys are amazing, thanks so much again.

E B

Ideal_Rock
It's one of those things that's completely up to you. Did you tell them you need to order by Friday? See if you can get a rush on the IS so you can choose between the two ASAP.

mulac

Rough_Rock
Great news, they just called me saying they already had the idealscope on record. It looks pretty good to me, very minor light leakage. I know it's preferential, but what's your opinion? I think I like the idea of the steeper Crown.
1845779.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
It looks like it'll be very nice! And a grade higher in color. The H would be my personal choice.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
E B|1470155150|4061668 said:
It looks like it'll be very nice! And a grade higher in color. The H would be my personal choice.

+1! :)

mulac

Rough_Rock
Thank you!! I'll make the purchase today and put some photos here after the proposal, wish me luck! :angel:

E B

Ideal_Rock
mulac|1470209785|4061983 said:
Thank you!! I'll make the purchase today and put some photos here after the proposal, wish me luck! :angel:

It will be beautiful! Can't wait to see the photos, and best of luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results