shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed picking a diamond.

apexeverything

Rough_Rock
Hi, I need help picking an oval diamond for an engagement ring, the first one listed, was the one we liked the size and price. Would like to know thoughts if that would work in this setting? Or if another diamond would be recommended over it. Thanks!

Screenshot 2022-08-05 151737.png

1.5 Carat (Preference in size)
https://www.rarecarat.com/diamond/1...re-carat-ideal-cut-oval-diamond?sid=103354506
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.51-carat-k-color-si2-clarity-sku-14750924
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.50-carat-k-color-si2-clarity-sku-15131299

Smaller Carat 1.2
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.20-carat-j-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-15621748
https://www.rarecarat.com/diamond/1...ond?ref=back&ts=Search&cp=25&ndp=3382.44&cs=0

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your 1.5 stones 1 and 3 are the same stone just listed through different vendors.
You do know that a K will show color (even more so in an oval). I'm guessing the 1 and 3 stone probably won't be eye-clean.
You need to ask ...and are you OK with sacrificing color/clarity for size?

The 1.2 stones
The J from JA would be a no for me (light return is just not good enough IMO).
The K's clarity is based on clouds not shown. We usually say stay away from these stones because it can
affect light return and make the stone look fuzzy for lack of a better term. It is an SI1 though so lets
see what @Karl_K thinks about SI1 clouds not shown. Could it be ok??? or definitely no-go? What say
you, Karl? (for me it would be a no-go but I know you are making sacrifices to get a larger stone on a tight budget).

I'm going to look around some and see what I can find. Is your budget $3500 for the stone?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The K's clarity is based on clouds not shown. We usually say stay away from these stones because it can
affect light return and make the stone look fuzzy for lack of a better term. It is an SI1 though so lets
see what @Karl_K thinks about SI1 clouds not shown. Could it be ok??? or definitely no-go? What say
you, Karl? (for me it would be a no-go but I know you are making sacrifices to get a larger stone on a tight budget).
generally staying away from them is a good idea, in an otherwise truly exceptional stone and fully vetted with a trusted stocking dealer or vetted by a trusted independent appraiser I would consider it.
For most stones it is probably not worth the risk and hassle.

apexeverything

Rough_Rock
Your 1.5 stones 1 and 3 are the same stone just listed through different vendors.
You do know that a K will show color (even more so in an oval). I'm guessing the 1 and 3 stone probably won't be eye-clean.
You need to ask ...and are you OK with sacrificing color/clarity for size?

I'm going to look around some and see what I can find. Is your budget $3500 for the stone?
Oh neat didn't know they were the same. I see it has a cavity on the back and clouding just wasn't sure what it would look like in person vs the video.

Was thinking color could be masked by the yellow gold setting, is that right? Additionally for clarity would prefer something clean to the eye but doesn't have to be clean through a jewelry loupe. Thanks I appreciate it! A $3500-3600 limit for the diamond is what I was thinking currently.

This is probably smaller than you want but...is 8mmx6mm (same stone through two different vendors with two different videos)
Looking at that I see the cut is good, I've only been looking at Excellent as I thought that was the most important C, should I be looking at Good and Very Good cuts too? Thanks!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I think cut is most important, so I'd go for the top cut grade and not skimp there. Personally, for an engagement ring, I feel like K and SI2 are a little low to ensure a pretty diamond that she'd be proud to show off. But as with most things diamondish, that's personal opinion.

The ring can also be made to appear much larger with a halo so maybe consider that and either choose a smaller center stone or increase the budget.

$3,500 would get you more like a one carat diamond in the top cut, I color and VS2 clarity. That's the range I'd look at for an engagement ring, for bang for the buck. Or at least no lower than a carefully chosen J color and SI1 clarity.

Another thought is to consider a lab created diamond. If you don't know, they are the same makeup as mined diamonds, not cubic zirconia or moissanite or other diamond substitute, but are now able to be made in a lab with new technology. They are becoming very popular because of the lower price point and from an ecological point of view. (However, the future value of them is not really known). But you could get quite a bit more for your money that way, if the two of you like that idea. Good luck!

Here's an example, if you're interested:

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The K tint is going to show up more where there is leakage and when you get the leakage next to facets that
are returning light well you really see the difference.

For example
The green areas are nice facets that are returning light well, the red areas are leaky facets that show the tint. That's
why it is very important to look for an oval with the best light return.
snip1.png

Unfortunately, fancy-cut stones (like ovals) are not as easy to evaluate and come in different faceting patterns (4 main, 6 main,
8 main, 8 main offset, 10 mains, etc.). The numbers on the stone (depth, table, etc) that the grading is based on are not as
predictable as round brilliant diamonds. The light return from the facets (what you see) as the stone rotates is more important
than what the numbers tell you. That is the reason why I go down to the good and very good levels for ovals. For example, when
you look on James Allen's site whenever you click on the Oval shape (as well as other fancy cut shapes), JA ghosts out the Cut
parameter...because they just don't tell you as much as the look of the stone tells you. After you find a "nice" stone you need to evaluate if the stone is a good value or not but...keep in mind that nice ovals are hard to find.

Distinctive Gems Signature ovals are AGS000 (Ideal light return) but then have a high depth (65%+) to be able to bend the light at the
right angle to return it to the eye (and receive the Ideal light return grade). These stones would not fit into the arbitrary "Excellent
ratings" of some (most?) vendors. They would probably fall into the "Very Good" rating even with an AGS000 rating.
Here's a link to one for further study if you wish.
Link to AGS report

apexeverything

Rough_Rock
Good to know all of this! Thanks for the info on Oval Cut Quality too. I looked and found a few more options let me know what you think of this list?

This 1.1ct K SI1 Rare Carat Ideal Cut Oval Diamond is 8.57 x 5.99mm

$2,605​

Possibly more yellow than the other two options from the picture.

1.02ct J VS2 Rare Carat Ideal Cut Oval Diamond 8.32 x 5.40 (Just a J color vs a K color) ++
$3,090
Better color and cut

1.2ct K VVS2 Very Good Cut Oval Diamond ++ 9.12 x 6.00

$3,380​

Shallow Cut, Biggest Facing size of the three (shallowing depth)

Also looked at Distinctive Germs
1.2ct VS2 Color H 8.72x5.87
$3,671
https://www.distinctivegem.com/apps/vdb-app/search-filters?structure=new&proids=46788541&structure=new

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm finding no links above except for the distinctive gems stone. Cant really comment unless we can see the stones.

Moving up to an H in your budget would be nice (really nice). The cut could be a little better IMO but there are always trade-offs
worth considering.

Johnathan (Distinctive Gems) does offer a free Tier 1 review on stones at JA, BN, Whiteflash, and the ones he has access to.
Not sure what all he provides for an oval shape stone but he DEFINITELY knows diamonds.

Watch the Tier 1 video here:

Edit...please provide the links for the other stones.

Edit...if you watch that video when Johnathan talks about color absorption when the light is bounced around too many times before
it is returned to your eyes...that's what you are seeing in that K-colored stone (red areas) that I posted above. We call these
areas leaky or mushy areas. You want to minimize mushy areas on a stone. Most ovals will have some mushy areas but the goal
is to minimize them.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also wanted to comment on the setting you posted above. Most vendors/companies will have something similar for an oval
shaped stone so that's not an issue. I do want to caution you on going too thin. The consensus on Pricescope for longevity
and wearability is 2mm width minimum. If not, you'll have to be baby the ring (be very cautious with it). Problems with
too thin pave rings...they can easily go out of round and lose pave.

apexeverything

Rough_Rock
Oops, I thought the link went through, sorry about that! Also thanks for the info about Jonathan at Distinctive Gem and the setting width! Very much appreciated!

This 1.1ct K SI1 Rare Carat Ideal Cut Oval Diamond is 8.57 x 5.99mm
https://www.rarecarat.com/diamond/104077123/11ct-k-si1-rare-carat-ideal-cut-oval-diamond

$2,605​

Possibly more yellow than the other two options from the picture.

1.02ct J VS2 Rare Carat Ideal Cut Oval Diamond 8.32 x 5.40 (Just a J color vs a K color)
https://www.rarecarat.com/diamond/105066139/102ct-j-vs2-rare-carat-ideal-cut-oval-diamond
$3,090
Better color and cut

1.2ct K VVS2 Very Good Cut Oval Diamond ++ 9.12 x 6.00
rarecarat.com/diamond/103298968/12ct-k-vvs2-very-good-cut-oval-diamond

$3,380​

Shallow Cut, Biggest Facing size of the three (shallowing depth)

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results