shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Need Maternity Gift Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
A good friend of mine just found out that she''s 7 weeks pregnant and I wanted to get her a congrats gift... up to about 50 bucks. I don''t think the shower is going to be for a LONG time... but I wanted to make sure I got her a little something now.

Gift ideas for HER... not the baby... are what I want.

Ideas so far:

Maternity Books -- I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT A GOOD MATERNITY BOOK IS-- can you all suggest a few?
First Maternity Top.

Any other ideas? Or advise? Suggestions???

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The gift basket was my first thought... but I couldn''t think of what to put in there. Ideas or suggestions? I don''t live near her so a spa certificate would be difficult as I wouldn''t know what''s close to her.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
I would recommend that book as well. My sister-in-law read that book cover to cover and it's a GREAT tool for her to read.

You could include maybe a gift certificate to a maternity store, like Pea in a Pod,
you could get her a baby scrap-book she could use to put ultrasound photos and journaling..
you could get her a new diaper bag, I think kate spade has one, for diapers and bottles...
or you could get a James Avery or tiffany's bracelet with a baby charm
ummm.... you could make a gift basket of comforting stuff. Like bath salts, bubble bath, therapudic lotion or oil, belly butter, a foot massager, snacks, things to keep her cool in the summer since she'll feel like an oven.. like those refridgerated herbal eye masks, or that collar you see on TV that keeps people cool.

lol, I'm thinking of all the things my sister-in-law went through. Mostly during her pregnancy she got nauseated by anything that smelled, and she was hot like 100% of the time. Their house was always freezing.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I heard the book that Jenny McCarthy wrote is great but don''t know the title of it.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 3:54:52 PM
Author: Kaleigh
I heard the book that Jenny McCarthy wrote is great but don't know the title of it.

Belly laughs was the title and it's great. I didn't like what to expect when expecting, it freaked me out more than helped me
40.gif

I think a gift card to Old navy (great maternity clothes) would be fab. also a gift card for a mani or pedi is always nice
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
potterybarnkids has some cute baby gifts too. someone gave me a set of handprint making tins and each year up to age five you put your baby''s handprint in one. I loved it so much I bought a second set myself for my second baby..

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
just thought of another good book:

a girlfriends guide to pregnancy....

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
There''s a bunch of different kinds of skin care out there for pregnant women... belly balm and such. It might be good to start her out with some of that before her body starts to stretch so that it stays supple.

I work with ob nurses who strongly recommend against "what to expect..." for the reason that it freaks out pregnant women, but it''s considered the pregnancy bible by most people. My friends have all loved "the girlfriend''s guide to pregnancy" so I second that recommendation.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 4:00:08 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 4/3/2007 3:54:52 PM
I heard the book that Jenny McCarthy wrote is great but don''t know the title of it.

Belly laughs was the title and it''s great. I didn''t like what to expect when expecting, it freaked me out more than helped me
40.gif

I think a gift card to Old navy (great maternity clothes) would be fab. also a gift card for a mani or pedi is always nice
1.gif
Thanks MrsS

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I really liked the book Girlfriend's Guide To Pregnancy.

A gift card to a maternity store would be nice. Mani/pedi gift certificate is a good idea too especially since she can use it during/after pregnancy.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Belly Laughs and Girlfriend''s Guide. Gonna Buy those ASAP.

Any recommendations on Belly Rub products? Gell Eye mask sounds great too. And an Old Navy gift certificate.

That''s a good start, right???

She''s young (24), and her relationship is... troubled at times but she''s excited and terrified. And I''m WORRIED, and hate being 3000 miles away from her at this time... she''s the only friend I have that I''m very protective of.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow you are such a great friend! I am 10 weeks so I can tell you what I would like. I really want a body pillow b/c sleeping is starting to get uncomfortable. Also always in need of clothes. I just got some really cute shirts and The Limited (of all places) yesterday. I love that babydoll stuff is in style right now! Maybe some good lotion (with coco butter) or a prenatal massage to ease her back/feet. I haven''t bought any books yet b/c with the internet I really don''t feel I NEED to. I read everything I need online. Maybe a baby naming book would be good. Or Redenvelope has some cute baby stuff (for handprints and stuff). Maybe a baby book.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. I doubled the budget and am about to pull the trigger.
What do you guys think:

Girlfriend's Guide and Belly Laughs

http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?cid=5870&pid=460683&scid=460683012 Looks cute and comfy. Thoughts???

And this body pillow that got great reviews on Amazon: What do you think???

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-2/qid=1175634107/ref=sr_1_2/601-5969088-0981742?ie=UTF8&asin=B000DZSC0C

I'll send along gift cards. I really wanted to get her flowers too... but I think this is a good start.

Tacori: Congrats!!

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree with the other posters "What to Expect when you are Expecting" is an awful book. It should be titled "what can go wrong with a pregnancy, and how to take something normal like heartburn & make a pregnant woman think she''s losing her baby". I burned mine.

GREAT BOOKS:

Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy

The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy by Vicki Iovine (these two books are so fun & make you laugh when you might be worried inside)

What to Expect the First Year (oddly enough, this book for when the baby arrives & the following Toddler Years books are LIFESAVERS)

How about some Body Butter from the Body Shop (mmm lots of yummy flavors) it has cocoa butter in it which is what lots of mommies like to put on their bellies. Oh! and some Peppermint Foot Lotion from the Body Shop, so when her feet hurt she can have her partner rub that in for her. mmmm.

Hard Candies (ginger flavored for morning sickness...lemon or sour candies are good too)

Pretty Blank Journal & pen

I''m pregnant right now for the 2nd time & if anyone gave me any of the above things, I''d be tickled....

Jeannine

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Tacori!!! I just read your post (this is not a hijack...so sorry!) but congrats!!! yay! (i''m almost 16 weeks...)

love your new avatar...your wring looks so nice with your tacori ering.

jeannine aka diver

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 5:34:02 PM
Author: divergrrl
Tacori!!! I just read your post (this is not a hijack...so sorry!) but congrats!!! yay! (i''m almost 16 weeks...)

love your new avatar...your wring looks so nice with your tacori ering.

jeannine aka diver

Thanks! I kept geting requests to put my ring back up so twist my arm
2.gif
congrats to you as well on your second baby! You should join us in the thread in Family & Home. I think njc is right along with you.

Gypsy, that body pillow looks divine. I really think above all else (even books!) that is what she will really use and need. The dress is cute too. Flowers are a nice touch too. Might be cheesy but November''s flower (I am guessing that is when she is due) are chrysanthemum. She might not see the connection though. I just analyze everything! She will feel very special indeed!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 5:31:31 PM
Author: divergrrl
I have to agree with the other posters 'What to Expect when you are Expecting' is an awful book. It should be titled 'what can go wrong with a pregnancy, and how to take something normal like heartburn & make a pregnant woman think she's losing her baby'. I burned mine.

What to Expect the First Year (oddly enough, this book for when the baby arrives & the following Toddler Years books are LIFESAVERS)

Jeannine

jeannine, you first paragraph made me laugh b/c that is so TRUE about that book. I was so scared during my first trimester b/c I thought everything was happening to me that shouldn't be
32.gif
also, totally agree with the First Year and Toddler books. I read the first year every month with my first and LOVED it. too funny!!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
All of the above suggestions are great. I want to recommend one more thing. A pregnancy journal. I have one and it's great to keep track of my emotions, doctor appointments, progress, milestones, etc. My mother can't remember all the details of her pregnancy so I think it's nice to keep a record of it all and eventually I'll be able to show it to my daughter.

Not to hijack but congratulations, Jeannine! Like Tacori said, come and join us on the pregnant ps'ers thread in family and home. Hope you're feeling great!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. You guys are just flat out FABULOUS!!!!

Decided to get everything in person and just ship them to her in one box myself-- cause then I can do decorative things to it.

Gonna get the pillow and the two books, some ginger and lemon hard candies, some cocoa butter lotion.

Not getting the dress though as I think she should buy herself what she likes. So instead I''ll get her an Old Navy Gift Certificate.

I love the pregnancy journal idea... but I know her and she''ll want to do it electronically... so the journal wouldn''t be a good choice for her.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH.

She told me she was preggers and I could not think of one thing to get her other than flowers, which are lovely... but just not as useful.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy,
What you are sending her is so very thoughtful. She''s lucky to have you as her friend!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 9:39:55 PM
Gypsy,

What you are sending her is so very thoughtful. She''s lucky to have you as her friend!!!

She''s a good friend. Those are rare. I''m blessed to have three of them. All in different states, and none of them in this one. So I guess I appreciate them more because of that.

She''s only 2 years out of lawschool. Family isn''t affluent or anything, neither is her man. She''s still clerking. Not married. This is not planned. It''s such a brave and TERRIFYING thing she''s doing.

Another of my friends had a baby a while back. She has a very nice trust fund. Graduated Yale Law, did a Federal Clerkship worked at a big firm for two years. Got married and now she''s a Junior Leaguer and sits on Charity boards; her husband works with Hedgefunds. The baby had custom furniture built in New England by generational artisans, and her room was all done in pink toile. Everything was just so.

All I''ve been thinking of all day is about the differences between the situations. And I just... wanted to do what I could to pamper her.

Don''t know if that makes any sense to anyone else. But it''s what''s driving me right now.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You''re a very faithful friend, Gypsy. That is a lovely thing to do!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, I would go on Spa Finder.com and see what is near her. A little pampering would be so appreciated I am sure...a nice pedicure or manicure or something for her, that she can use when she needs a lift. There are sources on line for finding the closest day spas in her area, and I think it would be so nice. Or, do a basket of lovely hand cream and a great book, just make sure you know if she is having any smell aversions since that could be rough! What a nice friend you are!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Spa Finder. Great advice. I''m thinking of doing that in a month or so for her. I honestly think I''m going to send her a few care packages between now and then. It''s funny. But I feel like I''m going to be a aunt. Silly-- but as an only child this is the closest I''ll come-- so I''m going to indulge a bit. Is it terrible I''m hoping for a girl??? I love little girl clothes. So fun to shop for!

I bought two different creams for her. The smell aversion didn''t occur to me, but hopefully one of them will be okay for her.

Ginger hard candies are hard to find! But I know Trader Joes has them so DF is going to pick up a couple of packs tomorrow then take the package to the post office. I also grabbed altoids sours tangerine hard candies. Some French hard candies in Lemon and some ginger chews. I got a light yellow ''bundle o'' joy'' gift bag which will go in a mailing box and a card to go with it. I may have gone overboard with the ribbon-- but oh well.

All set.

Thanks you all for the help I don''t know what I would do without the advice you all give so readily!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you are a lovely friend to feel so protective and excited for her. I have a sister and she sucks, not an auntish bone in her body unless there is some gain for her. I think your friend is very lucky to have you, and to be sending a little something every few weeks is just the right pick me up. She can share things with you and know you feel involved and thrilled, which is wonderful. Hard candies are awesome for nausea, and the smell thing is just something that bothered me, things I liked just did not agree with when pregnant, mostly food smells/scents, but some perfumes and chemicals or ingredients too...like something in a cream I might not even normally be able to smell, would just jump out at me...I could almost isolate that smell out and then could only smell that scent and nothing else...a little Hannibal Lecter if you ask me, but it was terrible for me...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I thought that the scattered pick me ups would be better than a big overwelming all at once thing. If it were me the day to day stress and body changes would start wearing quickly... and I would want something to break me out of it unexpectedly out of the blue.

I''m sorry your sister doesn''t get what she''s missing with the whole aunt thing. How sad for her. I have the best aunts myself... and I know DF''s neices and nephew love me. I think it''s better to not have a sister than to have such a bad one. No expectations or hopes to be dashed. That said... I have always wanted a sibling.

Chag Pesach BTW! I hope you have a joyful festival!

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, you are such a good friend. How sweet of you to do all you are for your friend. Have a lot of fun putting your basket together, she is going to LOOOVE IT!

Jeannine

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
This is a great book, tells you exactly what is happening week by week. For example, when the baby''s limbs form, eyes form, etc... and things you can expect. Very interesting and fun to read the little update every week.
It''s called Your Pregnancy Week by Week
http://www.amazon.com/Your-Pregnancy-Week/dp/1555612601

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results