shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! My first antique cameo

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissLolo

Rough_Rock

Hi all, i''m new here so if there is something i need to change about the size of my pictures just let me know :)

I bought my first antique piece of jewelry today & i''d like to know more about it. The only information i know is that it was originally brass, but that it has worn away. The lady at the antique shop told me it was her oldest cameo piece; she guessed it was around sixty years old, maybe more. It''s not in perfect condition, but I like that it has been well-loved and worn. I just thought it was really beautiful and unique, but would love to know more about it. Please let me know of any information you might have. I''m not very familiar with cameos, so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

cameo8590.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Your first cameo--how exciting! Congratulations!

Can we see a photo of the back, too? That will help in figuring out its story.

MissLolo

Rough_Rock
Sure! Thanks so much for responding.

DSC04432_419x480.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
My guess is that it''s from the mid-to-late 20th century. Pieces like that were popular in the 1950s-70s. The cameo itself could be carved shell, or it could be molded from some synthetic material, such as resin or plastic--it''s hard to tell from the pictures. If it''s shell, the back will probably be curved like the inside of a seashell. If the back is flat, it could be molded.

It''s a pretty, lively image and a fun piece. Enjoy it!

MissLolo

Rough_Rock
The back does appear pretty flat.

Thanks so much for the nice feedback!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 9:35:46 PM
Author:MissLolo

Hi all, i''m new here so if there is something i need to change about the size of my pictures just let me know :)

I bought my first antique piece of jewelry today & i''d like to know more about it. The only information i know is that it was originally brass, but that it has worn away. The lady at the antique shop told me it was her oldest cameo piece; she guessed it was around sixty years old, maybe more. It''s not in perfect condition, but I like that it has been well-loved and worn. I just thought it was really beautiful and unique, but would love to know more about it. Please let me know of any information you might have. I''m not very familiar with cameos, so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Your first piece of vintage jewelry is always memorable..congrates.Glitterata is right on.Looks like you have a molded plastic or glass cameo that dates from the late 1960s through the early 1970s.There was alot of costume cameo jewelry produced in this period.The pale greenish color of the cameo would have been popular in this period on the high collared antique revival femine clothing made of lace and velvet.This is a nice inexpensive first piece to start a collection!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results