shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP ME!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

draypac

Rough_Rock
OK, here''s the deal.

I''ve been seeing this wonderful girl for almost 3 years. I''m ready to take the next step, we''re moving in together in March. I''ve got the ring...and I''m ready.

She has told me when discussing this that there''s three things she absolutely wants. She wants it to be somewhere we can return to years from now and remember where we were when I proposed. I''m fine with that, and have the spot picked. She wants her parents to be consulted, and give their blessing. I''m ready for that. And she wants it to be a surprise.

*GULP*

I''ve been planning this for weeks, she''s been quite convinced that as much as I''d love to make the commitment the ring wasn''t in the budget with the move, and she''d have to wait until we could afford it in the coming months.

So of course, I stored the ring, where she NEVER, EVER, EVVVVVVER goes, in my business desk.

So of course, yesterday she sees a commercial, wants to write down the lyrics for a song that she heard so she can find it later. So she needs a pen.

I''m sure you can see where this is going. Anyway, she finds a small box in the desk. She didn''t open it, because I stopped her. BUT she''s pretty sure she knows what it is.

So now I have to figure out how to swing this completely around. I told her it was something I had made to give to her to celebrate the apartment.

What can I give her in this tiny box a week or two before I plan to do the engagement that would be fairly inexpensive, and cover the fact that there is, in fact, a ring? It needs to be cheap, less than $100 because we really do need to save for our place. And it needs to fit in a ring box so I can give it to her in the one she saw.

Any suggestions, and no, I can''t believe this happened either.

Please help.

LS90

Rough_Rock
hmmm, maybe a heart pendant like: http://disneyshopping.go.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/DSIProductDisplay?catalogId=10002&storeId=10051&productId=1219402&langId=-1&categoryId=19579

or one without mickey and minnie. Just so she can have your heart with her, wherever she goes. Or if you can get the back of that heart engraved with "will you marry me" you could use it as the proposal, give her the necklace with the ring hidden in the box under it...so she reads that and it asks the question for you.

draypac

Rough_Rock
I just gave her a journey pendant for Xmas, and a heart locket for our anniversary before that, so something like that might not work. But your idea did give me an idea that sent me out on a different tangent.

I''m thinking something like this
http://www.jewelry9.com/jewelrydetail.asp?jcid=1085&tid=1163&cmid=0&one=5

I''d tell her something like "it''s the key to my heart, and it represents the key to our apartment as well. yadda yadda yadda, and I''ll put it in the ring box that she saw.

I''ll do it a week before I plan to propose, and just tell her that I needed to get this off my chest, I was going to wait until we moved, but I just couldn''t stand to have her thinking that it was something that it wasn''t, so I''m giving it to her now.

And then a week later, go through with my original planned proposal.

How''s that sound? Is it even remotely believable?

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
:)Hi draypac

I did a quick search and found quite a mass of items within your budget
5.gif

Intwined heart Necklace $40 from blue Nile

Blue Topaz Pendant $45 from Blue Nile

and The masses that I mentioned I searched on Mondera for jewelery under $100 and it brought up 20 pages of stock, hopefully there is something there you like :)
Jewllery Under $100

GL

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/24/2008 12:17:05 AM
Author: draypac
I just gave her a journey pendant for Xmas, and a heart locket for our anniversary before that, so something like that might not work. But your idea did give me an idea that sent me out on a different tangent.

I''m thinking something like this
http://www.jewelry9.com/jewelrydetail.asp?jcid=1085&tid=1163&cmid=0&one=5

I''d tell her something like ''it''s the key to my heart, and it represents the key to our apartment as well. yadda yadda yadda, and I''ll put it in the ring box that she saw.

I''ll do it a week before I plan to propose, and just tell her that I needed to get this off my chest, I was going to wait until we moved, but I just couldn''t stand to have her thinking that it was something that it wasn''t, so I''m giving it to her now.

And then a week later, go through with my original planned proposal.

How''s that sound? Is it even remotely believable?
Yeah, I love this idea!!! Especially if you put it in the same box! It totally makes sense, at least to me! I''d fall for it, lol
36.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Wow what a mess!

I love your idea! Quick thinking! GOOD SAVE!!!

James Avery is a well known highly collected brand of silver charms. They also have keys. One is promise or future key, one is a heart key that looks very much like your choice, there is a car key, and also a "home sweet home" charm...a little log type log cabin house...here is a linkHouse. If you click back I think on #2 in the pages...you will find the key charm.here it is

Another idea, don't know if you can find something that will fit into your teeny box or not but a key ring...for her new house keys. I wish you could present her with a non jewelry gift...like the key fob. Maybe a key fob with a group of charm things. After all you said IT WAS SOMETHING YOU MADE FOR HER. Hmmmm....is you get her a store bought machine made charm...where is the YOU MADE FOR HER PART?

MADE MADE MADE....how about some charm that you engrave something on ...the move in date say on the back of the home sweet home charm? You could put 02-02-08 Madison Avenue (the date and the street?) You have got to follow that angle...somehow. The "made for you" part.

What about getting your idea of the key charm...and attaching a small sterling silver disk charm with it...that reads...the date and the street? You can visit any engraver in your city and get that little disk for under $20.

Tiffany's has these great Return to Tiffany's pieceshere is a collection ( incase you don't know the 925 on the pieces means silver)...most of us girls have seen these and love them...if you went along the same lines...your disk could read...if lost please return to 212 Madison Ave. (What ever your address is) She would surely find that most charming...and see you spent a lot of time creating it...and it just may stop her curiosity about any other idea she may have had. Again...focus on the made for you part. Just buying a piece of jewelry...I am afraid isn't going to get you out of hot water....
6.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Draypac, that is a great and very clever idea.

Of course, if you *really* want to throw her off, you should get some sort of cheapish not-high-quality earrings from JCPenney or Macy's or something for the box. She'll see them, be touched by your thoughtfulness, and think "Oh, he's clueless when it comes to jewelry."

That'll TOTALLY throw her off the trail of the Pricescope-guided ideal cut stunner you'll be giving her shortly.
9.gif

draypac

Rough_Rock
I got her the key in white gold and i'll probably add some type of engraved sterling tag to go with it. I would have gone with something cheaper but I think she'd catch on. l needed something big enough that l wouldn't want her to have seen, but not bankbreaking. Thanks everyone for all the help. I've got the whole engagement planned out. I think she'll be thrilled. A week from tomorrow i'll ask her parents for their blessing. And a week after that is the day I plan to ask her. I hope she'll think it as romantic as I do. Wish me luck! I'll be sure to tell you how my plan goes.

draypac

Rough_Rock
Just a follow up...

My fiance'' and I were engaged on February 9th. I gave her a white gold key charm with an engraved sterling silver charm reading "Our first home March 2008".

This was the morning of our engagement before our trip to the Art Museum where we had our first date.

She was happy, but I could tell disappointed. When she told me "I thought you might propose at the Art Museum" I could tell she was happy, but wishing that she were right.

When we got to the Art Museum we eventually got to one of my favorite areas, a replica of a monastery courtyard. I sat down with her on a stone wall near the stone fountain at the center.

I said "What if you were right?". When she said, "About what?" I dropped to one knee and pulled out the box with the ring. She was shocked.

It went off without a hitch. And she said yes. :)

Thanks for all the advice and help!

Ray

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!!! You are a creative guy coming up with a save like that!! She is a very lucky lady
1.gif
Have fun planning!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Awww! I love the proposal story - just perfect! Congrats!!!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Awww that proposal story is just too sweet :)

Congratulations

Hope I'm not too late! You could get her a special key made to your place. Maybe she already has one, but this one could be another color (for those girls that fumble with keys) and possible engraved! :) You could have something like, "To the one who has the key to my heart" or lots of dorky but cute things. This way, it's sentimental, and makes sense on why you would like to wait to give it to her!

**EDIT** Damn I was late. lol shouldve read all the posts. sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results