shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me with invitation wording

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JerseyGrl81

Shiny_Rock
I am trying to figure out how to word my wedding invitations. My parents are hosting so I know I want to begin with (I changed names)

Ashley and John Taylor
request the honor of your presence
at the marriage of their daughter
Helen Marie
to

And here is the tricky part, I want to include my fiances parents in the invite, but my fiance doesn''t have a middle name. How do I do this?

Choice 1: Use my fiance''s first and last name
Michael Smith
son of Charlie and Marie Smith

Choice 2: Use just his first name
Michael

Choice 3: Use his confirmation name as his middle name (suggested by his mother)
Michael James

Thanks for your help!

Winslet

Shiny_Rock
If it is going to be a Catholic ceremony, I would suggest the third option. Do you need to have his parents names on the invite? I would be most inclined to go with "Michael Smith" or even "Mr. Michael Smith" but leave his parents'' names out. I could be wrong, but I thought that the groom''s parents names were only written out in newspaper engagement announcements unless they were co-hosting with the bride''s parents or at least contributing a large amount to the wedding. Can you give us a little more background?

JerseyGrl81

Shiny_Rock
It is going to be a destination wedding. We are trying to stay away from incorporating religion into our wedding too much since I am Jewish and he is Catholic. My fiance wants his parents names on the invitation. I asked my parents what they thought and they said that was fine with them. Thanks

marchswallowbird

Brilliant_Rock
I like #3. Who''s to know it''s his confirmation name and not his middle name?

JerseyGrl81

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 10:35:11 PM
Author: marchswallowbird
I like #3. Who''s to know it''s his confirmation name and not his middle name?
That is what I am leaning towards, too. The annoying part about doing that is that not only does my fiance share his first name with my brother, if we use his confirmation name as his middle name, he will know share both his first and "middle" name with my brother.

marchswallowbird

Brilliant_Rock
Aw, so what. Nobody will think you are marrying your brother. Both those names are pretty common.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Wait -

so together it would look like:

Ashley and John Taylor (btw - is your mother listed first on purpose?)
Helen Marie
to
Michael
---------------------------

I don't think that looks bad.

However, the etiquette books would say:

Mr. and Mrs. John Taylor
request the pleasure of your company (there was a thread about this last week - should be used for non-church)
Helen Marie
to
Michael Smith
son of Mr. and Mrs. Charlie Smith

Mine was a "together with their parents" intro, so we used full names for both - which is why I'm thinking you could always balance it out with:

Ashley and John Taylor
Helen Marie Taylor
to
Michael Smith

JerseyGrl81

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 10:55:03 PM
Author: Elmorton
Wait -

so together it would look like:

Ashley and John Taylor (btw - is your mother listed first on purpose?)
Helen Marie
to
Michael
---------------------------

I don''t think that looks bad.

However, the etiquette books would say:

Mr. and Mrs. John Taylor
request the pleasure of your company (there was a thread about this last week - should be used for non-church)
Helen Marie
to
Michael Smith
son of Mr. and Mrs. Charlie Smith

Mine was a ''together with their parents'' intro, so we used full names for both - which is why I''m thinking you could always balance it out with:

Ashley and John Taylor
Helen Marie Taylor
to
Michael Smith
I copied the names for the beginning from a website so that is why the mom''s name was listed first. I would use my father''s name first. I like the second suggestion you posted using both of our full names. That does balance it out nicely. Do you think I should use first names and last names in that style, instead of the Mr. and Mrs. So and So. We are having a destination wedding in Bermuda so I want the wording to be somewhat casual, but traditional.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results