shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me with inherited brooch, please?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My poor wee mother in law recently died, in her mid 90’s. She wasn’t much of a jewellery wearer at all, so you can imagine my surprise on looking in her ancient jewellery box and finding some nice pieces. This brooch is interesting, I first thought it must be paste or some other simulant but I cleaned it up and it’s now sparkling like crazy under spotlight. There is no makers mark or hallmark on the metal. Is there any way I can tell at home if these are diamonds, or not? It is a lovely piece so I don’t really care either way, in fact, if it is diamonds then the value will make things more complex!
6707C4DE-8C07-4468-B5EF-001D09C880ED.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No metal mark doesn’t mean much, the one I bought to cannibalize didn’t either.
My first guess is no, they are not diamonds. They look a bit ‘glassy’. But what do I know, AND pictures aren’t the best to tell. :)
Can you loupe the girdles and tell what you see? Smooth polished, rough bruted, or faceted? That might help.

I’m sorry for your loss.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No metal mark doesn’t mean much, the one I bought to cannibalize didn’t either.
My first guess is no, they are not diamonds. They look a bit ‘glassy’. But what do I know, AND pictures aren’t the best to tell. :)
Can you loupe the girdles and tell what you see? Smooth polished, rough bruted, or faceted? That might help.

I’m sorry for your loss.

Thank you @Rfisher, it was her time, she had an amazing and interesting life and was driving her car and gardening in her last few days.

I have done some louping- there seems to be a bit of facet wear and some chipping, guess that means diamonds are less likely? I can’t see the girdles.

It’s very pretty! My mom actually inherited a brooch from my grandmom that had some clear stones. We also thought the stones could be simulants but we had a jeweler test them for us and they turned out to be diamonds (albeit not well cut or matched). So perhaps get the brooch tested by a jeweler if you can!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is very pretty!! Sorry, also don’t think it looks like diamonds. Perhaps a pawn shop could test them for you? Or, an appraiser could. They often will do a verbal appraisal that is very affordable vs the written up more $$$ appraisal so it’s worth asking around.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could be silver and paste.
Ask a pawn shop to test the stones for you.
I have a cheap diamond tester, (Diamond Selector II, Amazon, $15) and it has come in handy so many times for occasions just like this!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could be silver and paste.
Ask a pawn shop to test the stones for you.
I have a cheap diamond tester, (Diamond Selector II, Amazon, $15) and it has come in handy so many times for occasions just like this!

I’ll check that out, thank you!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take it to a pawn shop so that they can test with a diamond tester for free.

They may also do an acid test to determine the type of metal. However, if there is no hallmark of any kind, then they may not carry out the acid test.

Regardless of what it is made off, it is very pretty to me.

DK :))

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take it to a pawn shop so that they can test with a diamond tester for free.

They may also do an acid test to determine the type of metal. However, if there is no hallmark of any kind, then they may not carry out the acid test.

Regardless of what it is made off, it is very pretty to me.

DK :))

Thank you, yes, it is very pretty and amazingly sparkly! Not really my style but I’m sure I could be persuaded to wear it.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, yes, it is very pretty and amazingly sparkly! Not really my style but I’m sure I could be persuaded to wear it.

You could wear in your hair, on a chain as a pendant, on the belt of a dress … so many options. It is very pretty, especially the gallery engraving, so I hope you wear and enjoy it.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is lovely, the stuff vintage jewelry dreams are made of! Whether the stones turn out to be Diamonds or paste, I hope you’ll find occasion to wear it - especially since, as you said, it’s amazingly sparkly! 8-)

I’m not an antique jewelry expert by any means, but the catch does seem a little modern for a pin set with OECs. I doubt that’s definitive though - I imagine there was some overlap in technologies, and in any event the catch could have replaced at some point.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
sorry i missed this thread
your dear mom in law's jewel box is like Aladian's cave or a candy store !!!

what did this turn out to be ?
but who cares, its gorgouse !
have you worn it yet ?
you know i have a couple of older paste pieces, so much better quality than a lot of todays cheap faux sparkles

we need to see this pinned to a light winter wrap/scarf/ schwal (opps sorry cant spell that)

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry i missed this thread
your dear mom in law's jewel box is like Aladian's cave or a candy store !!!

what did this turn out to be ?
but who cares, its gorgouse !
have you worn it yet ?
you know i have a couple of older paste pieces, so much better quality than a lot of todays cheap faux sparkles

we need to see this pinned to a light winter wrap/scarf/ schwal (opps sorry cant spell that)

It sure is! I haven’t got around to going to a jeweller yet, we’ve been concentrating on clearing out her house. I’m thinking about booking some time with an appraiser, watch this space….. I did ask a watchmaker about her cocktail watch, apparently it’s £500 to redo the dial :eek2:, I’m trying to work out if it’s worth it. That’s the trouble with all this old jewellery, it’s really beautiful but inevitably needing expensive repairs.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It sure is! I haven’t got around to going to a jeweller yet, we’ve been concentrating on clearing out her house. I’m thinking about booking some time with an appraiser, watch this space….. I did ask a watchmaker about her cocktail watch, apparently it’s £500 to redo the dial :eek2:, I’m trying to work out if it’s worth it. That’s the trouble with all this old jewellery, it’s really beautiful but inevitably needing expensive repairs.

good luck
you will need to reward yourself for all your hard work clearing out the house

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results