shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me Please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jk969

Rough_Rock
I need some advice. I''m very confused with the medium Fluorescence. I have 2 diamonds to choose from one with no fluorescence and the other with medium.

Both are GIA certified:
7.07- 7.20 X 4.61
Weight1.50
Depth: 64.6%
Table 62%
Girdle: MED to STK
Cutlet:None
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity:SI2
Color : H

The other is
7.20- 7.23 X 4.61
Weight :1.50
Depth: 63.9 %
Table 54%
Girdle: MED to Thick, Faceted
Cutlet: NONE
Polish: GOOD
Symmetry:GOOD
Clarity : SI2
Color F
Fluorescence: Medium Blue

I''m confused as to which one to get, I believe that the one with Medium Fluorescence has a better cut. What should I do? I appreciate all the help.

Thanks.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Medium BLUE fluorescence is rarely, and I mean rarely, a factor negatively affecting the appearance of a diamond...that said, can YOU see any affect? It might actually make it face up very slightly whiter under certain lighting conditions.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not to burst your bubble, but I don't necessarily know that fluorescence is what you should be worrying about on these stones. My two cents follow...
1.gif

First off, they are both possibly a tad too deep meaning they probably look smaller than a 1.5c stone. That also means you are probably paying for a larger ctw stone where you can't see all of the carat weight.

The first one has a huge table at 62%...not necessarily a bad thing as sometimes the larger tables can make great stones, but the larger table combined with such a high depth may mean not such a great cut in this stone. You will need more info to know for sure.

It's also interesting to me that both stones have very similar dimensions, even down to their depth, yet both of their tables and depths are very different. Can you get the crown and pavilion angles on these stones? Then at least you can plug them into the HCA to get more information on their cuts.

That said...if you have seen them in person and they both look incredibly lovely, great. However I would highly suggest getting at least their crown and pav angles to know more BEFORE purchase. You will need to request a Sarin report from the jeweler since the GIA does not give this info on their certs.

As DiamondE says..med fluor is really not a big deal, its more strong fluor you should be worried about, but note that the industry WILL discount for med fluor...so the med fluor stone should be priced less than the other stone.

Lastly be sure that the SI2 grading is correct and that they are 100% eye clean. Maybe get the one you want checked by an appraiser within your return policy window.

Good luck!!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Repeat post from your other thread:

Both are deep cut diamonds meaning you pay for carat weight you won't see. Because they are deep cuts, the diameters are smaller than well cut diamonds of the same carat weight. Either of these will look smaller than a well cut diamond of similar color and clarity.

I have an ideal cut .766 carat with a larger diameter than a 1.07 carat Maul store diamond I saw in a local diamond broker's shop. That's a lot of diamond weight to pay for and not see. The broker took the Maul store diamond in on trade and is looking to sell it as a "pendant" diamond.

Also, med blue flour in a F color diamond might be too strong. In direct light, it could cause the diamond to look slightly milky or oily. That's one you'd have to see in person to decide if it's OK or not.

With any SI diamond, you might want to speak to the vendor. You want to know it is 100% eye clean. Ask the vendor to physically look at the diamond and tell you about the inclusions. You could get white inclusions, which would be OK. You could get black carbon or other gemstone flecks that would show, or a huge feather badly placed that could alter the diamond's flash/sparkle perception.

Good Luck with your decision/continued search.
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Yep, the med bl. fluor is not the worry here. Neither stone has a good cut. Also, the first stone seems out of round according to the measurements. Assuming these stones are round, I would pass on both for sure.

jk969

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate everyone's feedback. The only thing that confuses me is that the 1st diamond which is $6000 is rated as a fair cut on bluenile.com. The 2nd diamond which is $7000 is rated as a very good cut on bluenile as well. That is what is confusing me. Something is telling me to go with the 2nd one for $7000. Only thing is the 2nd one has alot of inclusions I guess that's the price i have to pay since i want 1.50.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Have you done a search on pricescope? Bluenile is not the cheapest on line vendor. Also, have you considered going H/SI w/ med blue fluor & a better cut. A stone w/ a good make will hide much body color & flaws.

I think I'd start over - JMHO.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Let us know what sort of priorities you have in the way of the 4cs and maybe we can help with the search.

Is reaching the 1.5c mark your top priority? If so, you will definitely have to sacrifice something else such as cut or clarity or color. I wanted to also say that cut *should be* your top priority, even if it is not. A well cut stone looks bigger and shines brighter than an average cut stone, even if the average cut is bigger.

So if you don't already have your priorities setup, give it a thought or two. It will help with the shopping.

Is $7k your top budget? What is your budget and how flexible are you on that?

2.gif

jk969

Rough_Rock
Here is what Bluenile.com says about this diamond that i'm considering.

Cut: Very Good
This diamond has been cut and proportioned to allow it to reflect nearly all light as sparkle and fire. This is an outstanding cut with a negligible visible difference from an ideal-cut diamond, but at a lower price.

Color: F
No color is visible to an untrained eye in an F-color diamond. As the least expensive diamond color in the colorless range, F-color diamonds display minimal color difference from D- or E-color diamonds and offer a lower price.

Clarity: Slightly Included
The inclusions in this diamond can be visible at 10x power magnification. Inclusions in diamonds with SI grade clarity might be visible to the unaided eye. SI2 grade diamonds are not as rare as SI1 and VS2 grade diamonds, so they are less expensive and present a great value.

Stock number: LD00509248

Carat weight: 1.50

Cut: Very Good

Color: F

Clarity: SI2

Depth %: 63.9%

Table %: 54%

Symmetry: Good

Polish: Good

Girdle: Medium to thick, faceted

Culet: None

Fluorescence: Medium blue

Measurements: 7.20x7.23x4.61 mm

Accompanied by: GIA grading report

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately what you posted doesn't tell us anything more than your first post did. You need to try to get the crown and pavilion angles from BN...though I don't think they supply them for their non-ideal cuts..one of the reasons we decided not to do business with them.

1.5c for $7000 is priced *very* low, esp for an F colored stone. The SI2 grading will factor in a bit, but that low price really makes me wonder what sort of 'very good' cut this stone has. ?

Also notice that the polish and symmetry both are only 'good'. A 'very good' stone in my eyes would at least be VG VG on the polish and symm.

jlim

Shiny_Rock
jk969 - you might want to search only "BlueNile Signature Cut" and see what you come up with. Those will be more expensive then even their IDEAL cut.

W/ the signature cut, you can get the pavillion and crown angle. But if you want the pavillion and crown angle for the non-signature diamonds, you can call them. I did and got a response in a day.

I think it is better to compare their *signature cut* diamond to the various better than ideal AGS0 cut that the vendors sell here. That way you are comparing apples to apples as far as cut is concern.

jk969

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for your response. I will try to find out that information. Well actually, Blue Nile is selling the diamond for about $7500 but I got a hook up with the wholesale place where the diamonds come from and It is being offered to be for $7000 for the same diamond. I thought the same as you with the vg/vg 'vs' the g/g. I did see the diamond today and it is absolutely beautiful. I will try to find out more info and post it up. Thanks everyone for your feedback. BTW...I love this site.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results