shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me, Please!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thrash15

Rough_Rock
I''m new to these forums... but I could use a ton of advice.

I''ve found a ring-- and will be getting it soon.

Her dad lives out of town, but will be home around Christmas so I can ask his "blessing". Her mom lives here and I plan on asking hers as well.

My proposal dilemma is this: We are both very close to our families and our friends. I would like to plan some type of proposal where they will be involved and be there at the time of proposal. Sporting event is out of the question just because there really isn''t anything going on right now- and her friend did that idea this fall.

She''s looked at rings with me and knows that I''ve been looking as well. So, a nice dinner or a trip would definately peak her suspician. We''ve been through the whole discussion on marriage and we are on the same page. So all the prelim stuff is in good shape.

I had an idea of doing a "white elephant" type of get together with friends. But not letting anyone open the gifts ahead of time and letting her end up with the right gift- and being the last person to open. I would set it up so that she would be invited by a friend and it would be the friends party, so she wouldn''t expect that I had anything to do with it. Also thought of some ideas of trying to propose to her somewhere.. and have friends/family around.. but without her knowing or being able to see them until the "moment". I soaw some commercial like this.. and the family was in the plaza, but not noticeable to the lady. I don''t want to give it as a "Christmas" gift. But I''m not going to be able to keep the secret very long after I get the ring in a week or so.

Can you all help me out??? Maybe refine my idea a little or give me a great one that I can use.

Thanks so much....

dmbfan

Shiny_Rock
the time of year, the white elephant idea is brilliant specially if the whole family is there. I''m sure the familly would help if they knew what was going on. did you want to do this before x-mas since you are waiting for her dad?

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely love the white elephant gift idea!!! I am waiting for my proposal and was thinking about how I would react - I think I''d just cry (with joy of course!).

mike42

Rough_Rock
The white elephant idea is great. That will be a huge hit.

I''d also set up a fancy dinner a night or two before the white elephant event. You''ll pique her interest then... then you''ll come through when everyone''s around.

oliverOSU

Rough_Rock
i like the white elephant gift idea too...here''s how I think I would pull it off, just my two cents. Have either the family or the friends, whichever group you pick, have the host say something like "we''ll be doing a gift exchange, please bring a gift under 20 bucks" or something like that. Beforehand, give a wrapped box with the ring in it to another friend to bring to the party, and make sure everyone knows that she gets that one, no one else pick it. Then, at the time for the gift exchange, decide that you are going to draw numbers from a hat to determine the order for picking. Now, say there are 12 people there, have whoever writes the numbers on slips of paper to write "12" on all of them. Then, have it set up so everyone knows their number they will say when they draw (so they''ll be looking at a slip of paper that says 12, but will say 9...and plan it ahead so no one repeats
1.gif
) So when she draws, she''ll get the 12 and go last. That way, the only present left is the ring....

might be complicated because everyone will have to know not to pick hers and set up the number thing ahead of time, but I think it could be pulled off fairly easily, other people will be there, and she won''t expect a thing!

sorry, I get into these things...I''ve spent the last 3 weeks or so staring at the ring and coming up with ideas on how to propose!

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
I think your white elephant idea sounds fun. My only concern would be that you are sure that she would be comfortable with that public of a proposal. I have a huge, tightknit family, but I''m glad that my husband didn''t propose in front of all of them. Personally, I don''t like being in the spotlight like that. I also enjoyed having the proposal be a private moment.

These are just my feelings. If you think she would enjoy being proposed to in front of friends and family, I would go full steam ahead with your white elephant idea. If I were you, I would try to do it without everyone else in the room knowing that you are proposing. I don''t think it would be easy to keep everyone from slipping up.

thrash15

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the support from all of you. The concensus with the friends I've talked to is to go ahead with the White Elephant idea as well.

Anastasia: no worries here. She comfortable in front of people and I'm sure she would be cool with the proposal in front of friends and family.

I have the ring now and everyone is excited and wants to know when I'm popping the question.

Feel free to post any new ideas or thoughts. Good luck to all of you as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results