shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Pick A Solitaire Setting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 8:19:17 PM
Author: DebShine
ooops... see you have the stone already.

Scratch what I just wrote and save for the Flame.

Go sell your blood platelets a few times! :) That should do the trick. And then you can say you lost sleep, sweat, and blood for this ring!

Really though...

You''ll feel very good when you see the perfect lovely you have for your perfect lovely!

DebShine, you are too cute! :)

Re: your other point, though -- I did actually wonder the same thing -- with these basket-type settings, if I ever upgrade my stone I would probably just have to purchase a whole new setting. I think they can reuse the shank...? But the head will probably have to be done from scratch.

But we can''t all plan THAT far ahead can we?

k

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 3:28:13 PM
Author: musey
Date: 2/4/2009 2:10:44 PM

Author: geckodani

Date: 2/4/2009 2:07:09 PM

Author: mrssalvo

I''d set the stone in a $250 temp setting and save up for the MWM that you really love.

Ditto. If the MWM is what you truly want, it''s worth saving up for.
5.gif

Yup.

If everyone posted saying that they preferred the Vatche piece, would that really make you love it more than the MWM Flame? I doubt it. Besides, being the master that Mark Morell is I doubt anyone would say they like the Vatche better for you (not that there''s anything wrong with Vatche, my setting is from them, it''s just that MWM is a different monster
2.gif
). If it is what you want, exactly what you want, save for that one!
2.gif

Hi Musey!

I''m indecisive! I think it is what I want, but then the other one is very pretty too, and then I start thinking, well, since one is a couple hundred more than the other, should I maybe just save the couple hundred and spend it on something else?

Then my mind goes in circles. We went skiing today and my mind literally went "swan? flame? swan? flame?" until I fell down and had to pick myself up again. I tell ya, girls, this is NOT healthy! One of my gfs pointed out that they really are quite similar, so maybe the choice shouldn''t be that hard, but I''m very indecisive and so...

well, it''s Saturday night and I''m still going, "Am I a Swan or a Flame?" If I like to yell at people and am kinda hotheaded, does that mean that I should be the Flame... etc. etc.

k

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Picking a setting is hard.
4.gif
Something to think about - when you add a band to the swan, you may not be able to see all the lovely detail at the bottom, which is where the ring gets most of its appeal, IMO.

But most of all, go with your gut! I posted a poll between a Scott Kay Solitaire and a Ritani. Almost EVERONE went for the Ritani. But... I loved the Scott Kay. And got it. And am ecstatic. So if the MWM is what you really want - it's worth waiting for!

ETA: And... in my opinion.... saving and spending "a couple hundred bucks" isn't a good option when you're looking at a ring you are going to wear every day, for a loooooong time.
5.gif

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 12:45:14 AM
Author: geckodani
Picking a setting is hard.
4.gif
Something to think about - when you add a band to the swan, you may not be able to see all the lovely detail at the bottom, which is where the ring gets most of its appeal, IMO.

But most of all, go with your gut! I posted a poll between a Scott Kay Solitaire and a Ritani. Almost EVERONE went for the Ritani. But... I loved the Scott Kay. And got it. And am ecstatic. So if the MWM is what you really want - it''s worth waiting for!

ETA: And... in my opinion.... saving and spending ''a couple hundred bucks'' isn''t a good option when you''re looking at a ring you are going to wear every day, for a loooooong time.
5.gif

Geckodani,

I followed your setting search! I actually looked at the same Ritani and Scott Kay settings but realized that 4-prong settings are flattering on me. Years ago, when I was engaged "for the first time," I had a Van Craeynest setting with a 4-prong head and the head always bothered me. The rest of the setting was gorgeous! I think I have written about it elsewhere on PS, as the style is popular (Love in Bloom has the same shank on her ruby). But the stone just did not look "right" on my hand. I think it has something to do with the way that squared-off stones make me look even more like a little child... But I could just be imagining things ;-)!

I love the Scott Kay that you chose. You listened to your heart. :)

You are right about the Swan''s appeal being in the swoopy diamond details at the base of the head. Finding the right wedding band that really complements the e-ring is difficult & the shape of the Swan concerns me. I have seen gorgeous shots of the Flame with wedding bands, so I know it works. I would like, in an ideal world, to try both on, but we live on the W. Coast and I''m afraid an in person visit to MWM just will not do.

I wonder if it is similar enough to the Tiffany 6-prong that I could pop into a Tiffany''s and get a rough sense?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Kimiko, I''m late to the party- busy, busy day!- but I had to say the Flame is amazing. I like the Swan a lot, but the Flame looks just *perfect* to me. With or without MWM''s heart like prongs.

The good thing is, even if it takes a while to make a decision, whichever setting you get will be beautiful.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 1:12:18 AM
Author: kimikocat

Geckodani,

I followed your setting search! I actually looked at the same Ritani and Scott Kay settings but realized that 4-prong settings are flattering on me. Years ago, when I was engaged 'for the first time,' I had a Van Craeynest setting with a 4-prong head and the head always bothered me. The rest of the setting was gorgeous! I think I have written about it elsewhere on PS, as the style is popular (Love in Bloom has the same shank on her ruby). But the stone just did not look 'right' on my hand. I think it has something to do with the way that squared-off stones make me look even more like a little child... But I could just be imagining things ;-)!

I love the Scott Kay that you chose. You listened to your heart. :)

You are right about the Swan's appeal being in the swoopy diamond details at the base of the head. Finding the right wedding band that really complements the e-ring is difficult & the shape of the Swan concerns me. I have seen gorgeous shots of the Flame with wedding bands, so I know it works. I would like, in an ideal world, to try both on, but we live on the W. Coast and I'm afraid an in person visit to MWM just will not do.

I wonder if it is similar enough to the Tiffany 6-prong that I could pop into a Tiffany's and get a rough sense?
1.gif
I don't like normal 4 prongs. But the double prongs do it for me, LOL. It's funny what you think you like compared with what looks good on you.

As for going into Tiffany's - at the very least, they use the same sort of donut construction that MWM does where the head meets the shank. So, it wouldn't be an exact match, but you could at least get a feel for a well put together six prong with bands etc. There will be a slight gap with the Tiff's, but also with the MWM, because of how they are constructed. I think it would be worth investigating!

And fun regardless, LOL!

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 1:43:26 AM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
Kimiko, I''m late to the party- busy, busy day!- but I had to say the Flame is amazing. I like the Swan a lot, but the Flame looks just *perfect* to me. With or without MWM''s heart like prongs.

The good thing is, even if it takes a while to make a decision, whichever setting you get will be beautiful.

Hi LGK!

Thanks for responding! Your input means a lot. Did you ever decide on a reset, or are you going with your current setting for a while?

I suppose I shouldn''t agonize so much -- they are both such pretty designs!

k

mrb19992004

Rough_Rock
I just love the flow to the lines on Allen Creates hand wrought platinum rings.
www.ringlock.com his polish is so liquid, and hand wrought is without blemishes.

His designs are beautiful. Definitely worth a look see....

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 5:31:04 PM
Author: mrb19992004

www.ringlock.com his polish is so liquid, and hand wrought is without blemishes.

I had not heard of this designer before! Very interesting...

I think Leon Mege also advertises his pieces as "hand-wrought"? Would be interesting to know how Mark Morrell and Vatche manufacture their pieces. Does anyone know?

k

mrb19992004

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the delay in responding. Having some trouble with my shoulder, gotta stop being a weekend warrior.
emsmile.gif

The rings that Mr. Creates designed for my husband and I are simply elegant. People comment on my ring all the time. And I know I won''t see it in any commercial jewelery store!

Our experience with him in every way was excellent in every way. From my conversation with him about what I wanted in regards to my engagement ring setting, and wedding bands for both. Thge main stone is a 2 carat round that was an heirloom. Wanted something unique. I wanted something that could be worn seperate or together, either both, the band, or the ring. I work in the medical field and am wearing gloves a lot. Only wear my band doing this.

He was able to design the perfect ring, his prices are very fair, and customer service that he gave us is second to none! We waited a bit long to order the rings from him, and he over nighted the rings to us to make sure we had them on our wedding day. We live in Texas and he offered to do that out of the kindness in his heart, as a gift to us! Even though he is in Canada, and we live in Texas, I feel as if he is right next door, due to the excellent customer service he delivered to us.

The biggest impact Mr Creates had on me was his passion for his profession as a jeweler. He truly loves what he does, and it shows in his work. His father started the business, and he has been in it his whole life. He truly cares about people, and takes pride in his work.

Attaching a picture of my ring.

Date: 2/9/2009 6:59:23 PM
Author: kimikocat

Date: 2/9/2009 5:31:04 PM
Author: mrb19992004

I had not heard of this designer before! Very interesting...

I think Leon Mege also advertises his pieces as ''hand-wrought''? Would be interesting to know how Mark Morrell and Vatche manufacture their pieces. Does anyone know?

k

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results