shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me pick a Photographer!

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone!

I can't pick a photographer for the life of me. I narrowed it down to two! I love both and they are practically the same cost. Please help me choose.

FI likes both as well. He is a more drawn to Verite because he feels the photos are less posed and more candid and natural. I do agree with him and love their photos because of this very much... however I love the couture and glamour feel of the photos from Shannon. Shannon also does wedding photos all the time at the winery where I'm getting married which makes me feel a bit more comfortable as they'll know where to stand to get the best shots.

So candid and natural/artsy or glamourous/couture?

Who would you pick?

Example Photos of Option 1 (Shannon):

If you are logged onto facebook you can click here: https://www.facebook.com/ShannonStellmacherPhotography/photos_stream
Website: http://www.shannonstellmacherphotography.com/category/weddings/

Example Photos of Option 2 (Verite):

If you are logged onto facebook you can click here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Verité-Photography/110264532339252?id=110264532339252&sk=photos_stream

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer Verite. Shannon looks very high fashion and stiff/posey. Verite looks more candid, relaxed, real. :praise:

audball

Ideal_Rock
I agree with LLC. I much prefer the look of candid and natural shots over the overly posed ones. That's not to say I don't appreciate the WOW factor, but I think a great candid photographer can get you a few WOW shots that are high fashion and couture while keeping a majority of them in the relaxed/real tone.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!

I like Verite best. Shannon's photos are stunning, but seem artificial. I love the feelings and love clearly shining through in the ones Verite took. She seems to capture the moments that matter as opposed to posing moments.

If you have any specific posed shots you really liked, maybe show those to Verite and see about having those posed. That would let you have some of the artsy posed ones but still capture the candid relaxed moments!

gatorblue

Rough_Rock
I have to agree with the other brides - that 2nd photographer's pics really had me oohing and aahing. I personally prefer a candid, photojournalistic style - I feel like it transports you right back to that moment in time so you can experience it all over again. ;))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I'll be the lone one that liked the more glamourous shots! :halo: But I love photos that tend to be more stylized and editorial than the traditional wedding shots. Both photographers had beautiful photos... I wonder if either photographer could shoot a mix of each style? Maybe it's not what she's known for, but if you went with Shannon, couldn't she do some more editorial shots of your choice? ;))

Choose the photog that shares your style and how you want to remember your wedding day. :))

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock
I like the glamorous photos too. However, you have to choose the one that speaks to you more - in your gut. And the photographer you feel most comfortable with on a personal level. They're going to share a huge day with you - you really want to connect with them and like them.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Based on their portfolios, Verite speaks to me more.

That being said...have you met with both photographers? Have you seen full weddings from each from beginning to end? What about their album products (if you plan on purchasing said album from them)? They're going to post what they feel are the best and most representative images on their blogs and websites...you need to see what their entire body of work looks like!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I also prefer Verite, their photos seem much more genuine and made me feel all warm and happy inside. Shannon's photos are very glamorous, but gave off a stiff vibe. Almost like they're too perfect? I dunno, to me they lack emotion and warmth.

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for the feedback and ideas!!!

The photographs that spoke to me the most were the ones from Shannon. However you are right that there's probably plenty of other photos that just aren't on her website. I am going to email her to see if she can show me a sample of candid pics from a wedding for me to share with FI and see if this makes us feel more confident on booking her. It was really just the lack of candid photos that scared me a bit. I loved the posed couple shots! It never dawned on me to ask to see other sample work not on the website.

I wish I could meet both in person but I'm planning this as a destination wedding (I'm in IL and the venue is in CA) so it makes it tough. While one photographer said they might still be free in January when I'm in California, the other photographer has already warned me that they book out over a year in advance. I kinda want to put a deposit down and be done with the photographer piece in the next 2 weeks.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
maple2012|1380591182|3529891 said:
Thank you everyone for the feedback and ideas!!!

The photographs that spoke to me the most were the ones from Shannon. However you are right that there's probably plenty of other photos that just aren't on her website. I am going to email her to see if she can show me a sample of candid pics from a wedding for me to share with FI and see if this makes us feel more confident on booking her. It was really just the lack of candid photos that scared me a bit. I loved the posed couple shots! It never dawned on me to ask to see other sample work not on the website.

I wish I could meet both in person but I'm planning this as a destination wedding (I'm in IL and the venue is in CA) so it makes it tough. While one photographer said they might still be free in January when I'm in California, the other photographer has already warned me that they book out over a year in advance. I kinda want to put a deposit down and be done with the photographer piece in the next 2 weeks.

That sounds like an excellent plan, maple. If you can't meet with them in person, see if they're available to Skype/Facetime or at least have a phone conversation. And don't forget to ask about turn-around times for any previews, vs. your online gallery, vs. products they provide! I've seen some wedding photographers take up to FOUR MONTHS before they even post a few teasers for the couple, let alone the full spectrum of shots! In my experience, you end up with the best photographs when you're comfortable with the person taking them, so sussing out whether or not you can and will be comfortable smooching it up with someone is an important part of the process, so try and figure that out as best you can from a distance!

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
There's so many amazing photographers out there. This is getting more complicated as I explore other options. Now I found this photographer which has an editorial but also artsy and creative feel. And vintage'ish too! I love it. http://www.onelove-photo.com/

Too many options! :bigsmile: Just emailed the new photographer for a quote. Ahhhh. I need to to just put a deposit down and be done with it instead of driving myself mad.

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone!

Quick update that I PICKED a photographer!!! After 2 more weeks of looking at photo after photo, comparing, pulling my hair out, and asking questions... I've decided to go with a photographer group that I found last minute right before making a final decision between Shannon/Verite.

The name of the photographer group is called Onelovephotography. I was browsing stylemepretty and fell in love with their photos. They just spoke to me and I felt so much emotion when starring at the photos. I then called them up and it just clicked over the phone. The lady I spoke with at Onelove was so very nice and responsive as well. Here are a few wedding examples they've done:

http://greenweddingshoes.com/glamorous-malibu-wedding-sarah-brendon/

http://www.stylemepretty.com/2013/09/20/napa-valley-wedding-from-fleurs-de-france-onelove-photography/

http://www.stylemepretty.com/california-weddings/2013/08/23/highland-springs-resort-wedding-from-onelove-photography/

They have a mandatory engagement shoot for people booking weddings services so I ended up signing up for one of those too. We will probably do that sometime next spring or early fall 2014.

Yay I'm so excited to finally have the photographer part done!! One vendor down...

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!!!

Glad you found a photographer you clicked with!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! It really feels great to get a few big vendors knocked off the to-do list!

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
Yes it definitely does feel good to knock out the big vendors! Next on the list of a DJ our officiant. Hoping to get those done next month. I also kind of want to surprise my parents and do a mariachi band during dinner... hah.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Fun!

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
I got an email I consider to be rude from one of the photographers I listed above.

A photographer above that I didn't go with emailed me today stating that they felt they were not a fit with me to be a photographer for my wedding due to the fact that I have taken months to make a decision. Basically they took themselves off the table as an option for me since I didn't make a decision quick enough for them to either use or not use their services.

Really? I emailed them 3 months ago but it was only to get an idea of budget... then 3 weeks ago I started really looking into this. :angryfire: Does this photographer not understand that they are not the ONLY photographer in this planet and that prospective clients DO HAVE THE RIGHT to interview multiple photographers prior to making a decision?

Jeezes!!! So glad I went with Onelove and that I trusted my gut instinct. I was planning on reaching out to all other photographers I didnt go with and let them know I found someone this weekend... looks like this one beat me to it.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
maple2012 said:
I got an email I consider to be rude from one of the photographers I listed above.

A photographer above that I didn't go with emailed me today stating that they felt they were not a fit with me to be a photographer for my wedding due to the fact that I have taken months to make a decision. Basically they took themselves off the table as an option for me since I didn't make a decision quick enough for them to either use or not use their services.

Really? I emailed them 3 months ago but it was only to get an idea of budget... then 3 weeks ago I started really looking into this. :angryfire: Does this photographer not understand that they are not the ONLY photographer in this planet and that prospective clients DO HAVE THE RIGHT to interview multiple photographers prior to making a decision?

Jeezes!!! So glad I went with Onelove and that I trusted my gut instinct. I was planning on reaching out to all other photographers I didnt go with and let them know I found someone this weekend... looks like this one beat me to it.

Yikes... Good riddance

audball

Ideal_Rock
Mico|1382078092|3539960 said:
maple2012 said:

Yikes... Good riddance
I agree with Mico! Good riddance! Something similar happened to me during our hunt for a photographer. I happen to personally know someone who was married where we're getting married (she inspired the location, actually, even though elopement was already the concept). She recommended her photographer to me so I contacted her along with 2 others to start. Like you said, I wanted to get pricing information, availability, and what they include, etc. I did like my friend's pictures a lot, but that being said, our budget was 4x as much for pictures as their's was so I didn't want to limit us to just her photographer because she was a good deal. I asked the exact same questions of every photographer I contacted.

Out of the first three, one was not available for our date and the other's portfolio wasn't super impressive so I contacted 3 others in addition to the one recommended by my friend. That photographer told me the complications of my venue in terms of lighting and other things. She has lower end equipment compared to others I talked to and is more of a hobby photographer than professional. She brought up the issues and how they're difficult to work around instilling a lack of confidence in me regarding her ability. Since I had contacted others, I told her I'd get back to her as I was still waiting to hear from a few other vendors. Like you, it seems only right to talk to several options before deciding! Regardless of a personal recommendation! People are different, budgets are different, and just because they were a good fit, doesn't mean we are.

Well, she clearly was not pleased that I was waiting to hear from other options. She said the fact that I had a personal recommendation should have been enough to make me confident that she could handle it. That she thought I had wasted her time by contacting her without "being sure" that I was actually interested. Then she took herself out of the running by also telling me that she didn't think she was a good fit for us and that we should look elsewhere for photography services.

And just like in this case, I say hallelujah! Really?! Who spends money on a service that CANNOT be redone without checking out more than one option!? Psycho.

Excerpts:
"I am not sure that we would be a good match to work together."

"I felt that when you emailed me and said {friend} recommended me you were actually interested; but in your last message you mentioned that you and your fiance had contacted several photographers and would go through everything to decide. That made it feel like an interview or contest and I wasn't into that."

"I would figure if you had a recommendation from someone who had actually used me, along with viewing my website then you would have been pretty sure before about booking before even contacting me."

"I am bowing out but I really do mean it when I say I appreciate your thought and consideration!"

Yeah....

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maple2012|1381807854|3537847 said:
Hi Everyone!

Quick update that I PICKED a photographer!!! After 2 more weeks of looking at photo after photo, comparing, pulling my hair out, and asking questions... I've decided to go with a photographer group that I found last minute right before making a final decision between Shannon/Verite.

The name of the photographer group is called Onelovephotography. I was browsing stylemepretty and fell in love with their photos. They just spoke to me and I felt so much emotion when starring at the photos. I then called them up and it just clicked over the phone. The lady I spoke with at Onelove was so very nice and responsive as well. Here are a few wedding examples they've done:

http://www.stylemepretty.com/2013/09/20/napa-valley-wedding-from-fleurs-de-france-onelove-photography/

http://www.stylemepretty.com/california-weddings/2013/08/23/highland-springs-resort-wedding-from-onelove-photography/

Yay!! I love those -- it's like a perfect marriage of "organic/candid" and "stylized/editorial/glam"!!! :appl: This photog's work actually reminds me of how mine likes to shoot! Love it!

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
msop04|1382396043|3541921 said:
maple2012|1381807854|3537847 said:
Hi Everyone!

Yay!! I love those -- it's like a perfect marriage of "organic/candid" and "stylized/editorial/glam"!!! :appl: This photog's work actually reminds me of how mine likes to shoot! Love it!

Thank you! I am SO very excited about working with them! They are so kind and helpful!!! I am SO glad I went with the photographer I clicked the most with personality wise versus just by photos. :bigsmile:

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
audball|1382104811|3540039 said:
Mico|1382078092|3539960 said:
maple2012 said:

Yikes... Good riddance
I agree with Mico! Good riddance! Something similar happened to me during our hunt for a photographer. I happen to personally know someone who was married where we're getting married (she inspired the location, actually, even though elopement was already the concept). She recommended her photographer to me so I contacted her along with 2 others to start. Like you said, I wanted to get pricing information, availability, and what they include, etc. I did like my friend's pictures a lot, but that being said, our budget was 4x as much for pictures as their's was so I didn't want to limit us to just her photographer because she was a good deal. I asked the exact same questions of every photographer I contacted.

Out of the first three, one was not available for our date and the other's portfolio wasn't super impressive so I contacted 3 others in addition to the one recommended by my friend. That photographer told me the complications of my venue in terms of lighting and other things. She has lower end equipment compared to others I talked to and is more of a hobby photographer than professional. She brought up the issues and how they're difficult to work around instilling a lack of confidence in me regarding her ability. Since I had contacted others, I told her I'd get back to her as I was still waiting to hear from a few other vendors. Like you, it seems only right to talk to several options before deciding! Regardless of a personal recommendation! People are different, budgets are different, and just because they were a good fit, doesn't mean we are.

Well, she clearly was not pleased that I was waiting to hear from other options. She said the fact that I had a personal recommendation should have been enough to make me confident that she could handle it. That she thought I had wasted her time by contacting her without "being sure" that I was actually interested. Then she took herself out of the running by also telling me that she didn't think she was a good fit for us and that we should look elsewhere for photography services.

And just like in this case, I say hallelujah! Really?! Who spends money on a service that CANNOT be redone without checking out more than one option!? Psycho.

Excerpts:
"I am not sure that we would be a good match to work together."

"I felt that when you emailed me and said {friend} recommended me you were actually interested; but in your last message you mentioned that you and your fiance had contacted several photographers and would go through everything to decide. That made it feel like an interview or contest and I wasn't into that."

"I would figure if you had a recommendation from someone who had actually used me, along with viewing my website then you would have been pretty sure before about booking before even contacting me."

"I am bowing out but I really do mean it when I say I appreciate your thought and consideration!"

Yeah....

Oh my gosh Audball!!! YOU DID have the same experience as me!!!! Aren't these photographers crazy? What ever happened to treating customers well? I am most definitely going to write a bad review on this lady after the wedding. The way she behaved is completely uncalled for. Do you plan to do the same thing?

audball

Ideal_Rock
maple2012|1382747346|3544779 said:
Oh my gosh Audball!!! YOU DID have the same experience as me!!!! Aren't these photographers crazy? What ever happened to treating customers well? I am most definitely going to write a bad review on this lady after the wedding. The way she behaved is completely uncalled for. Do you plan to do the same thing?
I did! They really are nuts. I've already let it go. She did me a favor really -- I found a much better photographer and I'd already decided I didn't want to work with her, but hadn't figured out how to say no. She'll lose her own customers with the way she talks, a bad review isn't going to make a big difference. She's just not worth my time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results