Help me pick a DATE!!!

Which DATE should I choose?

• May 15th 2011

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • June 12th 2011

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
This is my first poll so if it doesn't work out, please just post your answer in the comments! Thank you!!

Okay, we are going back and forth and can’t pick a date. I figured I would put it out there for the PS ladies.

We’re getting married at the Jersey Shore. The location is between our two hometowns and has sentimental value to my FI. We’re planning on having the ceremony on the beach around 5pm with the cocktail hour starting around 7pm. That timing will allow us to take photos when the lighting is perfect and give our guests the chance to check out the shops and games on the boardwalk. Our reception is going to be on the water and we are planning an outdoor cocktail hour right around sunset. We will be getting married on a Sunday and that is a given.

The choices are May 15th or June 12th.

May 15

Pros:
- Off season (cheaper lodging, less traffic)
- Whole town more relaxed
- More likely to have privacy for the ceremony
- Sooner!
Cons:
- Too chilly on the beach at 5pm?
- Too chilly for outdoor cocktail hour at sunset?
- People probably won’t be able to enjoy the beach

June 12

Pros:
- June weather
- Warm enough for beach ceremony and outdoor cocktail hour
- People can enjoy the beach
Cons:
- Peak season (more expensive lodging, traffic)
- Boardwalk can get crowded
- May have stragglers on the beach around ceremony time

Which would you choose if it were your wedding? Or which would you prefer as a guest?

JerseyGrl81

Shiny_Rock
I chose June. I don''t know what beach you are looking at, but most won''t be too crowed on a Sunday night in mid-June since schools will not be out yet for the year. They start to get a lot more crowed towards the end of June. I would go with June since while the weather during the day in May would probably be warm it could be chilly at night. Your best bet for having an outside wedding would be in June. I also think September would be great month if that could work for you. The beaches get deserted around then, the weather is great and I am sure you can get a good deal.

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
I chose June cuz I''m all about having nice weather.
2.gif

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
I''d definitely go for June. Your May date is before Memorial Day, so while places will be open, you will not get the "hustle and bustle" of the shore which is part of its charm. May will also probably be chilly in the evening hours.

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
June -- I would be worried about the chilliness during cocktail hour (I am a total weather wimp, though, so your mileage may vary)

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I voted for June - unless you could get a few heat lamps for the reception just in case which then I think May would be great too.

Nov2109

Shiny_Rock
I picked May...even though I am a June bride getting married at the "Jersey Shore" which is where I grew up! What area are you having it in? The date I originally wanted was May 15 2010! But my church was booked solid... So we went with June 5.

May shouldn''t be too cold for an outside cocktail hour...a lot of the venues premium pricing starts May 1. Lodging however is cheaper before Memorial Day.

Have you looked into having your ceremony/reception on the beach? NJ doesn''t allow that...unless of course it is a private beach owned by the venue. Merrimakers, McLoone''s and Ocean Place are a few off the top of my head that do allow for that...

The boardwalk starts getting busy once the weather breaks...

Pictures are allowed on the beach, but that''s about it....a friend of mine got married at McLoones this past summer and there were random people watching her ceremony from the restaurant and boardwalk in long branch, and that was in September...

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in a seasonal beach town all year round, so i chose May FOR SURE. Tons of people get married here in season, but you are right that the parking etc is a huge problem during the summer (at least where i live). If I were having a wedding, I would want to be able to have access to the beach and it''s offerings, but not have to compete with the congestion of summer traffic...just for a little less pressure on you and your guests.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
I choose June because a) the weather sounds good, making it a nicer experience for you and your guests and b) June 12th is mine and FI''s dating anniversary
10.gif

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2010 9:10:25 AM
Author: Nov2109
I picked May...even though I am a June bride getting married at the ''Jersey Shore'' which is where I grew up! What area are you having it in? The date I originally wanted was May 15 2010! But my church was booked solid... So we went with June 5.

May shouldn''t be too cold for an outside cocktail hour...a lot of the venues premium pricing starts May 1. Lodging however is cheaper before Memorial Day.

Have you looked into having your ceremony/reception on the beach? NJ doesn''t allow that...unless of course it is a private beach owned by the venue. Merrimakers, McLoone''s and Ocean Place are a few off the top of my head that do allow for that...

The boardwalk starts getting busy once the weather breaks...

Pictures are allowed on the beach, but that''s about it....a friend of mine got married at McLoones this past summer and there were random people watching her ceremony from the restaurant and boardwalk in long branch, and that was in September...
Hey Nov2109! I hope you stick around to give tips after your wedding. I must admit I am Jersey Shore convert. My FI is from Philly and his family spent a week in Ocean City every summer as a kid and that is where we will be getting married.

Ocean City allows weddings on any "street beach" and Cape May also allows beach weddings. And unlike anything else in wedding planning, the Ocean City beach permit is actually free.
22.gif

Thanks for your vote for May...I am thinking it''s a good compromise of nice weather but not full on summer crowds. We went up to visit a couple weekends ago and it was a beautiful day so the boardwalk was packed and it was MARCH!

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2010 9:37:39 AM
Author: violet3
I live in a seasonal beach town all year round, so i chose May FOR SURE. Tons of people get married here in season, but you are right that the parking etc is a huge problem during the summer (at least where i live). If I were having a wedding, I would want to be able to have access to the beach and it''s offerings, but not have to compete with the congestion of summer traffic...just for a little less pressure on you and your guests.
Thanks violet3!

That''s my thinking...spending an hour in traffic and paying $20 to park will probably not get people into the romantic, wedding mood.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2010 8:07:09 AM
Author: princessplease
I''d definitely go for June. Your May date is before Memorial Day, so while places will be open, you will not get the ''hustle and bustle'' of the shore which is part of its charm. May will also probably be chilly in the evening hours.
Thanks for your thoughts, princessplease!

Yeah, the chilly evening is really my main concern with May. Maybe I could start looking into some cute shrugs.

While I love the "hustle and bustle" of the shore, I also love how calm and relaxing it is during the off season. Decisions, decisions...

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2010 10:57:51 PM
Author: JerseyGrl81
I chose June. I don''t know what beach you are looking at, but most won''t be too crowed on a Sunday night in mid-June since schools will not be out yet for the year. They start to get a lot more crowed towards the end of June. I would go with June since while the weather during the day in May would probably be warm it could be chilly at night. Your best bet for having an outside wedding would be in June. I also think September would be great month if that could work for you. The beaches get deserted around then, the weather is great and I am sure you can get a good deal.
Thanks, JerseyGrl81!

You''re absolutely right..the June date wouldn''t be the most crowded week. September would be perfect but FI doesn''t want to be engaged that long. He already thinks it''s crazy that we have to be engaged for a year.

Nov2109

Shiny_Rock
Ah! I didn''t know they allowed that further down south. I grew up and lived my entire life north of there...Ocean/Monmouth County...that''s awesome they allow you to have it on the beach!Reception too? I''m jealous :) We moved to Philly from where we grew up, so we''re opposites!
2.gif

Do you have an alternative if there is bad weather? We didn''t go for the outside reception option because it rained everyday last June! May however was gorgeous!

If you need any advice on the "jersey shore" let me know! I''m not as familiar with the So. Jersey beaches as I am where I grew up!

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your thoughts Rock of Love, shertz1981, purselover, and lilyfoot!

And thanks to those who have responded to the poll! June certainly seems to be the favorite!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2010 10:29:55 AM
Author: lucyandroger

I''d definitely go for June. Your May date is before Memorial Day, so while places will be open, you will not get the ''hustle and bustle'' of the shore which is part of its charm. May will also probably be chilly in the evening hours.

Yeah, the chilly evening is really my main concern with May. Maybe I could start looking into some cute shrugs.

While I love the ''hustle and bustle'' of the shore, I also love how calm and relaxing it is during the off season. Decisions, decisions...

Agreed. It''s all about the pros and cons. You''re going to be there on a Sunday, but what time will your reception end? Traffic is notoriously bad on all main roads out of OC (47, GSP, 347, etc) and your guests may be stuck in dealing with the traffic on the way home. I''d say it all calms down ~9 pm, where you won''t be sitting in the backups.

Have you considered Sunset Beach in Cape May>

30.gif
30.gif

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2010 12:53:29 PM

While I love the ''hustle and bustle'' of the shore, I also love how calm and relaxing it is during the off season. Decisions, decisions...

Agreed. It''s all about the pros and cons. You''re going to be there on a Sunday, but what time will your reception end? Traffic is notoriously bad on all main roads out of OC (47, GSP, 347, etc) and your guests may be stuck in dealing with the traffic on the way home. I''d say it all calms down ~9 pm, where you won''t be sitting in the backups.

30.gif
30.gif

Sunset Beach is just gorgeous!!! We chose Ocean City because it has special meaning to us and FI''s family. He''s been going there since he was a little kid and his family has a few condos there that we''ll be able to use.

The reception is going to end late - around 11pm so people will most likely be spending the night and driving home on a Monday.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2010 10:40:38 AM
Author: Nov2109
Ah! I didn''t know they allowed that further down south. I grew up and lived my entire life north of there...Ocean/Monmouth County...that''s awesome they allow you to have it on the beach!Reception too? I''m jealous :) We moved to Philly from where we grew up, so we''re opposites!
2.gif

Do you have an alternative if there is bad weather? We didn''t go for the outside reception option because it rained everyday last June! May however was gorgeous!

If you need any advice on the ''jersey shore'' let me know! I''m not as familiar with the So. Jersey beaches as I am where I grew up!

I''m not sure if they also allow receptions on the beach...Ours is going to be at the OC Yacht Club and that''s where the ceremony would also take place if it rained. It''s great because they''re going to take care of setting up the chairs on the beach, cleaning up the sand, etc as well.

The rain really makes me nervous. I wonder if people would sit out in it if we gave them umbrellas...haha

I''ll cross my fingers for a bright and sunny June 5th!

marlie

Brilliant_Rock
another vote for june! simple reasoning...it''ll be warmer. sounds like it''ll be beautiful btw!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2010 10:36:51 AM

Date: 3/30/2010 12:53:29 PM

30.gif
30.gif

Sunset Beach is just gorgeous!!! We chose Ocean City because it has special meaning to us and FI''s family. He''s been going there since he was a little kid and his family has a few condos there that we''ll be able to use.

The reception is going to end late - around 11pm so people will most likely be spending the night and driving home on a Monday.

Then no traffic!!!!!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I would pick May 15th just because it is my birthday, so it is already the best possible date IMO
25.gif
. Our reception was in September, but it got unseasonably chilly and it did put a damper on the party. As long as everything you need to do outside will be done by sunset, you will be fine. People will dress for the temperature it is with the sun out. You will only get in trouble if you are there past dark, when it starts getting chilly.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I picked 6/12. I love the summer though! Think about all those people that will be clapping for you on the boardwalk. Too cute, IMO!
5.gif

I love stumbling across wedding ceremonies.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I voted for May 15. I'm getting married in the Atlantic City/Brigantine area in late September, and it has been strongly suggested to me to avoid the high season. Two weeks before Memorial Day should be ideal... enough people around, but not the mobs to be expected June through Labor Day. Also, hotels should be more affordable in the off season, so it might be better for your guests as well.

I love the idea of your sunset reception. We are thinking of doing a sunrise wedding (eloping), and I do think you get the best pictures at those times!
21.gif

Best of luck!

ETA: Just saw that you may be using condos, so hotel prices might be a moot point
2.gif

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I would vote for June over May - mostly for the weather and it''s not really peak season enough for it to be crowded on a Sunday evening

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
June - the weather is important to me. May has more rain and raining on the beach ... um...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results