shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me MOVE To a New Town

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh|1315262120|3010266 said:
Another vote for Philly. Great city. If you want a backyard, look into the town of Narberth... I am 5 mins from there, I adore the neighborhood and the community.

Definitely checking out Philly. I'm going to start asking around about it. :appl:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
soocool|1315264243|3010280 said:
I live near AN's parents, just outside of New Hope, PA and Lambertville, NJ (BTW, AN the bridge to 202 via Rt 32 in New Hope is closed due to the flood from hurricane Irene). There is not a lot of traffic near me and it is close enough to visit Philly or NYC via train. Nice parks, you can watch Washington cross the Delaware on Christmas Day, pick apples from a number of farms in the area, go winery hopping on the weekends (we have a bunch), antiquing, galleries, Moravian tileworks, the Fonthill and Mercer Museums, and my favorite- Rice's flea market on Tuesdays. (All this in the susburbs) Lots of places to ride horses, too.

This sounds very nice!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1315264563|3010287 said:
I think the DC area fits your needs....well, except for the traffic I guess.

Ummm . . . I have been in that traffic . . . not something I want to do again . . .

iLander

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1315275803|3010429 said:
I love Richmond-I lived there for almost 12 years and just moved away this February. There are a lot of things going on for a smaller city. There's a solid art and music scene and TONS of great restaurants. Plus the cost of living is pretty low, and there are a lot of options. The Fan is fantastic and so are Carytown and the Museum District for living right in the city. There are some nice slightly more suburban areas as well, particularly on the Southside. (South of the James River.) And of course there are a ton of straight up suburbs. There isn't much traffic at all, either, which I didn't appreciate until I moved away!

In February we moved to Philly and I like it a lot. I'm not as familiar with the different areas yet, but there are a lot of different great neighborhoods in the city and further out. There is always something going on, tons of great restaurants, cute boutiques, it's close to NYC for a day trip, etc. A higher cost of living, though, depending on where you end up. Oh and traffic can be awful, especially on 76. I try to avoid 76 unless I'm desperate for a trip to King of Prussia mall. :cheeky:

I like Richmond, it's very cute with the little brick houses all over, nice trees and manageable hills.

With all votes for Philly, I am going to check it out next summer.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
NovemberBride|1315276711|3010442 said:
I live in the Philly suburbs and it definitely meets many of your criteria. However, the traffic here is horrendous unless you live very far from the city. I previously lived in DC and NYC and the traffic here is as bad or worse than in those cities.

What areas do you suggest to avoid the traffic?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1315276849|3010443 said:
CHICAGO, baby! It's the greatest city in the world.

You don't need a car if you live in the city, so the traffic doesn't matter.
Or, you could always live somewhere on the North Shore near me. We're close enough to the city that we can be there within 20 minutes, but we're still in a nice little hamlet of suburban calm up here. And lakeside strolls make for beautiful dog walks!

Our winters aren't too bad, the average temps get as low as the mid-teens, so not below zero, at least.

I do love Chicago and the North Shore. I complain about the snootiness every now and then, but that's just a few people and I think they exist everywhere. Overall, it's a wonderful place. Tons of shopping, eateries, live music, museums, etc. It's really difficult to be bored here.

I love Chicago! Nice urban landscape, great museums, pretty lake! :appl: People are nice, and the pizza is the best ever!

A touch too cold for me, though.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Octavia|1315278008|3010455 said:
I'm surprised so many people said Philly -- I've lived here for 11 years but I'm SUPER excited to be moving away. Some suburbs are nice, especially the Main Line and Bucks County, and some places that are technically in the city but have a more suburban feel, like Chestnut Hill. But the downtown core is definitely not my favorite place. Like AN, I live around Rittenhouse and the parking is horrible. Street parking can take up to an hour at times, and I have a space in the cheapest garage around which is close to $200/month. It takes a minimum of 25 minutes to get out of the city, and that's if traffic isn't bad. Very few places in the "better" areas of Center City have yards, although you can get one if you're comfortable living on the fringes. Those areas have gotten much better in the last few years but still make me sort of nervous at night. I carry a handbag to work, but otherwise usually leave it at home and just carry the essentials in my pockets since I was mugged a few years ago. After college, I lived in the city for about a year (same general area as I do now), then on the Main Line for a couple years, then in the city again since I got engaged/married -- the suburbs are awesome, especially if you tend to go into the city just for fun rather than every day, but I have never felt safe living right in Philly. There are a lot of PSers here, though!

Hmmm . . . stuff to consider.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
jewelerman|1315278181|3010457 said:
iLander|1315251168|3010186 said:
slg47 said:
iLander...I am assuming you need to be employed in new town? are there places more suited to your job?

Actually, my job is internet based, I don't really need to be anywhere in particular. Just need good internet access, and I'm set.
so you work for Price Scope? :bigsmile:

I wish! I'm a marketing consultant, I help corporations launch products. Over 1.6 trillion worth over the years . . . :bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1315278322|3010460 said:
I lived in Center City Philly for 2 years, my dad lived there for 4, and I grew up in southeastern PA, so we took a lot of family trips there. I liked living there, but I'm not sure it fits your bill. The traffic isn't pleasant...it's better than NYC, but it's still not easy to drive there. Parking is ridiculously expensive in a lot of the buildings (mine was charging over $300/month), and it's difficult to find street parking whenever you want to drive somewhere. I actually didn't have a car when I lived there for those reasons. Real estate is becoming very expensive there, and it's not easy to find a place with a yard. It's also a very high-crime city (its nickname is "Killadelphia" because of its high per capita murder rate), and while it's true that there are good areas and bad areas, the areas tend to be quite interspersed without much of a transition zone and easy to stumble into if you get lost. Like if you walk 2 more blocks, you're suddenly in a very scary place. The weather isn't really nice either; it gets really hot and humid in the summer and really cold and snowy in the winter. Seasons to the EXTREME.

The suburbs or even the outlying areas of the city (e.g. East Falls), on the other hand, might be a good choice (with the caveat that the weather would be the same). You could find a town on one of the regional rail lines and just ride the train into the city. You'd have the yard, the seasons, the safety, the proximity to the city, and the lack of traffic (as long as you avoid the Schuylkill Expressway). I'm particularly fond of the Manayunk area: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manayunk,_Philadelphia,_Pennsylvania. There are also a lot of nice suburbs on the "Main Line:" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Main_Line

A family friend lives in West Chester, PA, which isn't exactly a Philly suburb, but it's less than an hour west. It's a college town, so it has a lot of cool cultural events (theater, music, etc.). More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Chester,_Pennsylvania

ETA: Looks like Octavia and I were posting around the same time and said pretty much the same thing. Good to know I'm not the only one!

Hmmm . . . more to consider, and this is very valuable information, I will keep it on hand when checking out Philly.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1315279262|3010469 said:
Not sure if San Diego has enough seasons for you, but it does have everything else you asked for!

I have considered San Diego, please more info!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1315437030|3012082 said:
Hi Autumnnovember! :wavey:

THANK YOU for going to so much trouble! This is a lot of great information! I never knew Philly had so much to offer! I'm quoting you below, and responding to what you said:

Autumnovember|1315359130|3011197 said:
Alright so I promised I would talk about why I love Philadelphia/suburbs of Philly so here it goes:

-Proximity: If you decide to live in the suburbs of Philly, you'll be in a quaint, beautiful, relaxing area yet close enough to action whenever you want it. NY is an hour and a half away....not a difficult c ar ride OR train ride Wanna go to DC? Not far away either and its a fun place to visit. This sounds really great, I do like to go on day trips, and it's nice to be near the good stuff.

-Restaurants: It undeniable that Philly has incredible restaurants suited for any taste and any amount of money from a place that's pretty cheap (Honey's in Northern Lib, thats AMAZING) Lots of places to discover. Cheap, good food? I'm there! I do LOVEZ me some philly cheesesteak too! :cheeky:

-Beer: I'm not a big beer person Nah, me neither, but DH likes it

-Old City: I love, love, love old city. I could walk around old city all day long. When FI and I were taking our engagement pictures, we did just that. We discovered so many beautiful little streets with gorgeous brownstones that I kid you not, looked like it was straight out of a painting. Guess what else we found? Lots of brownstone homes with their own backyards....and a beautiful playground perfect for relaxing or bringing kids to play. It's just so charming. I love this picture, I have never even heard of this! I have GOT to check this out!

-Penn's Landing: You can go to concerts and events that are held right along the water. I do like an occasional concert

-Walnut street shopping: Tons of stores, lots of outdoor restaurants perfect for people watching. SHOPPING!!!! :appl:

-Rittenhouse: My apartment is located here...it is walking distance to walnut street parking. In Rittenhouse you'll also find lots of outdoor restaurants, lots of mom and pop coffee shops, barnes and noble right across from the park. The farmers marker comes to Rittenhouse Park every weekend and lots of people hang outside at the park all day long. People bring their dogs, play, sing, everything. I typically spend my weekends anywhere between Old City and Rittenhouse. If I'm going from one end to another, I take a taxi. How much does it cost? 7 bucks. 7 bucks is really nothing if you're living in the city as it is. Must have a park, definitely!

Soon I will be going to wine & chocolate tasting bar in Philly...can't wait. I have often wondered why there aren't more chocolate tasting bars around, there are so many different flavors. I am really an aficionado, and spent the last 6 months lamenting the recent quality drop of Godiva. There's more wax and the secondary spiciness has been lost, but I could care less about wine. I'll just skip the wine and stick with the chocolate. :bigsmile:

I always find something new to do in the city. There is something to do ALWAYS.
Thank God! I am gnawing my arm off from boredom here! :rolleyes:

So, I am totally checking this out, AN. I will probably be up that way next summer, and I'll make it a point to try and spend at least a night. Again, thank you for taking the time AN, you've very sweet. Hugs!! :))

Absolutely no trouble whatsoever! I love how much Philly has to offer, even if you live in the suburbs there is so much there, too. Plus less traffic in the suburban areas. I personally love New Hope/Newtown area. I also live in North Jersey and its definitely not a place I would ever suggest living!

When you come to visit, if you're up for it---I can show you around the areas that I've written about. I'm sure we could get some more ladies together and go to jewelers row ;-)

About the park, there is also another one that is in between old city and rittenhouse...they look identical. One is more populated than the other but both are nice still.

You will NOT be bored. Even if I'm just hanging out at the park...I can people watch till my eyes fall out...always something to see.

I'm so happy you're going to check it out!

You can also go the national constitution center, see the liberty bell, betsy ross house, etc. Options are endless.

P.s. we have some amazing hotels, too :)

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1315438816|3012118 said:
Not sure if San Diego has enough seasons for you, but it does have everything else you asked for!

I have never lived there but here is what I thought when I vacationed:

Beautiful. It's really an absolutely beautiful city. The weather was awesome when I was there in the summer.

There was a lot to do there.

Con for me? Seemed like an adult playground but not in a good way and that could have been because of the area my hotel was at. It seemed like everyone there was on the same schedule: sleep, work, go out to the bars. I found it insanely weird that on a Tuesday night the bars and restaurants were insanely packed at 1 am.

They had an amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing outdoor mall. TONS of restaurants.

Balboa park? Phenomenal.

amc80

Ideal_Rock

No way, San Diego traffic is horrible! Plus it has exactly one season.

iLander, I have the solution for you. Ready? Reno, NV!

1) No state income tax.
2) Very affordable housing- you can buy a 2,000sf new house for around $200k, in the newest/nicest neighborhood with parks all over the place.
3) Shopping, we got it. Including an outdoor mall with great stores (Coach, Williams Sonoma, Pottery Barn, etc.).
4) 4 Seasons. Snow in winter (but it only sticks for a couple of days) and 90s in the summer. Awesome fall and spring.
5) Traffic? Ha. People here complain about traffic but it's only where the 2 freeways intersect and it's only right at 8am and right at 5pm. If you've lived in a real city then you wouldn't even call it traffic.
6) Lake Tahoe, one of the most beautiful places anywhere, is about 20-30 minutes away.
7) We have an international airport that is the easiest airport to get in and out of. You can go from parking garage to your gate in under 15 minutes. Oh, and Southwest flies here.
8) Tons of activities, particularly in the summer- Hot August Nights, Rib Cookoff, Air Races, Balloon Races, etc.

I've lived in the CA central valley, Santa Barbara, the Bay Area, San Diego, Washington DC, and now Reno.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411|1315321186|3010688 said:
I thought of a couple of places based on what you wrote ilander... and one feels like it sticks out more to me. I won't say which until I hear your thoughts.

The first was Savannah Georgia. You'll have a peaceful atmosphere, while still having things to do.

The other place I thought of was Charleston SC. I haven't been there in many years, but I remember lots of shopping and restaurants. I don't know what the traffic is like now. Again, you'd get four very distinct seasons, with a strong fall season. There are many neighborhoods there. I'm not as sure about parks, but I"m sure there are some. You're also a hop skip to the mountains which is awesome, and again, not too far from other things. It actually would put you a hair closer to DC if you're interested in going up there sometimes.

I think anywhere in FL would lack some of the seasonal distinctions you might want.

I have to be honest here; I really don't care for Savannah. I have no idea why, but it gives me the heebie-jeebies. Can't explain it. I've spent a few nights there and every time, I get the creepiest feeling and can't wait to leave. Sorry, I don't want to make you feel bad, but I have an odd reaction to it. 8)

I grew up in Florida, and I've done it to death, lived all over it, from G'ville to J'ville to Ft Lauderdale, to Orlando, to Tampa, etc., etc. Gotta broaden my horizons!

I've never been to Charleston, I think next trip I'll have to at least drive through, I've heard it's pretty and I like being close to DC.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1315307088|3010579 said:
In some ways the weather is great, Zoe, but it depends on where you live in NC. The mts. are super -- not too hot in summer, and they have real winter but not too much of it. We live in southern NC in the Piedmont & summers are absolutely brutal here. Humidity in the 80% to 95% range from May to Sept. & temps often reach high 90s. Summer is like winter other places -- no kids out playing, a few suicidal joggers or bikers but most people work out in the gym to avoid a heart attack from the weather! Everybody stays inside away from the incredible mugginess. I miss winter -- it snows maybe once, usually not at all, & is gone in a couple hours. Spring is truly truly magnificent, most beautiful season anywhere on earth. Otherwise, meh.

Comparing taxes between here & New England, in the majority of New Hampshire towns, for instance, property taxes alone, even for smaller properties than ours in NC, are more than we pay in this county for property & state tax combined. Without sales or income tax, NH has to make it up somewhere. VT is higher because of their myriad social programs, and Mass. out of the question. Maine's new governor has lowered theirs to some extent -- but you get into mega-winter in Maine; I grew up in Rochester NY & had my fill of those! I'd adore to live in NH or VT in an antique house, love the rural-ness & the culture is my cup of tea, plus Boston is reachable for exhibits & restaurants, shopping, etc., from much of the area. Have always felt New England was "home" but DH is retired & I'm not willing to pay the gov't for the privilege of living there.

I'm an east-coaster by nature -- so VA is good too -- winter but not too much, lots of history, beautiful countryside, several cities w/good stuff to do & tons of other activities available. Taxes are not the lowest, but do-able, especially property taxes are hilariously small in many counties.

Rambling too much!

--- Laurie

No such thing! I found all of that really helpful and interesting, thank you!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Porridge|1315322024|3010699 said:
Does it have to be in America?!? Cos if not I have a few suggestions :naughty:

Yes, please. I went to a lot of trouble to come to this country, and dangit! I'm stayin' :bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
April20|1315323096|3010717 said:
What about Nashville? I grew up just north. I moved away 11 years ago, but still visit family regularly. There are some great in town neighborhoods and suburbs. Lots of restaurants, festivals and outdoor events. Tons of free music (and no, not all country. Probably half is). Cost of living is reasonable. Distinct seasons, though summer can be HOT. Winters aren't bad, though they do get snow a couple of times a year.

I might have to at least drive through, it sounds good!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1315345570|3010995 said:
Washington state.

I'm in Sammamish now. Lived in several other places in the area. Redmond is nice too.

20 minutes from Seattle. Also close to outlet mall in North Bend. More parks than you can count. Bike trails. Dog parks. Lots of great events in Tacoma, the casinos, and The Gorge (2 1/2 hours or so).

Perfect weather. Almost never gets below 0 (like I never saw it in my life until last winter!) and rarely even into the teens. Some snow but not huge amounts (unless you like to ski then you can drive an hour or so into the mountains). Rarely hits 100. Most of summer is 70 or so.

Lots of different museums and activities around Bellevue, Redmond, Issaquah, Sammamish and even more just across the bridge in Seattle.

Of course it rains and is cloudy....
I prefer to see it as the price we have to pay for the gorgeous trees/flowers/greenery we get to enjoy the rest of the year.

I have seriously considered Washington state, but the rain is the killer for me. I have a really hard time with cloudy days, they tend to depress me (and I'm not a whiner, it really does bother me). It is a breath taking landscape though, I adore the trees and green, just stunning.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1315439337|3012124 said:
Absolutely no trouble whatsoever! I love how much Philly has to offer, even if you live in the suburbs there is so much there, too. Plus less traffic in the suburban areas. I personally love New Hope/Newtown area. I also live in North Jersey and its definitely not a place I would ever suggest living!

When you come to visit, if you're up for it---I can show you around the areas that I've written about. I'm sure we could get some more ladies together and go to jewelers row ;-)

There's a jeweler's row? :shock: Oooooooh! :appl: That sounds awesome! :bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1315439578|3012126 said:

I have never lived there but here is what I thought when I vacationed:

Beautiful. It's really an absolutely beautiful city. The weather was awesome when I was there in the summer.

There was a lot to do there.

Con for me? Seemed like an adult playground but not in a good way and that could have been because of the area my hotel was at. It seemed like everyone there was on the same schedule: sleep, work, go out to the bars. I found it insanely weird that on a Tuesday night the bars and restaurants were insanely packed at 1 am.

They had an amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing outdoor mall. TONS of restaurants.

Balboa park? Phenomenal.

That sounds like New Orleans! When you order ice tea, you have to specify "please no alcohol" or they automatically bring it spiked! :knockout:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1315439590|3012127 said:

No way, San Diego traffic is horrible! Plus it has exactly one season.

iLander, I have the solution for you. Ready? Reno, NV!

1) No state income tax.
2) Very affordable housing- you can buy a 2,000sf new house for around $200k, in the newest/nicest neighborhood with parks all over the place.
3) Shopping, we got it. Including an outdoor mall with great stores (Coach, Williams Sonoma, Pottery Barn, etc.).
4) 4 Seasons. Snow in winter (but it only sticks for a couple of days) and 90s in the summer. Awesome fall and spring.
5) Traffic? Ha. People here complain about traffic but it's only where the 2 freeways intersect and it's only right at 8am and right at 5pm. If you've lived in a real city then you wouldn't even call it traffic.
6) Lake Tahoe, one of the most beautiful places anywhere, is about 20-30 minutes away.
7) We have an international airport that is the easiest airport to get in and out of. You can go from parking garage to your gate in under 15 minutes. Oh, and Southwest flies here.
8) Tons of activities, particularly in the summer- Hot August Nights, Rib Cookoff, Air Races, Balloon Races, etc.

I've lived in the CA central valley, Santa Barbara, the Bay Area, San Diego, Washington DC, and now Reno.

I have friends that have a place in Tahoe, and they love it. But oddly, they don't shop, they hike. Why would you want to hike when you can SHOP? :lol:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
@ Zoe, @ Amelia G, @ Katydid05, @lovebug1031, @ Octavia, ; You guys gave me some good ideas, and I appreciate you bringing up questions that I was thinking about! I

@rubybeth , I think you're crazy, lady, it's SO COLD! :shock: (teasing you!)

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
iLander, have you checked out the Philadelphia subforum at city-data.com? It looks like it has a lot of threads of interest to people considering to move there and several members are Philly natives or residents.

I also found this site interesting: www.classictowns.org It highlights some unique towns in the Greater Philadelphia area.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you open to moving out of the USA? Come to Singapore! It's clean, extremely safe, has great weather (hot all year round), great food and enough bling to ogle! :wink2: You can easily commute to other countries nearby for long weekend getaways.

Otherwise, how about Melbourne? It's been voted recently as the most liveable city in the world.

If you'd like to stay put in the US, how about Hawaii? I've always thought it was a very nice, picturesque place which has amazing weather too.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1315441426|3012152 said:
dragonfly411|1315321186|3010688 said:
I thought of a couple of places based on what you wrote ilander... and one feels like it sticks out more to me. I won't say which until I hear your thoughts.

The first was Savannah Georgia. You'll have a peaceful atmosphere, while still having things to do.

The other place I thought of was Charleston SC. I haven't been there in many years, but I remember lots of shopping and restaurants. I don't know what the traffic is like now. Again, you'd get four very distinct seasons, with a strong fall season. There are many neighborhoods there. I'm not as sure about parks, but I"m sure there are some. You're also a hop skip to the mountains which is awesome, and again, not too far from other things. It actually would put you a hair closer to DC if you're interested in going up there sometimes.

I think anywhere in FL would lack some of the seasonal distinctions you might want.

I have to be honest here; I really don't care for Savannah. I have no idea why, but it gives me the heebie-jeebies. Can't explain it. I've spent a few nights there and every time, I get the creepiest feeling and can't wait to leave. Sorry, I don't want to make you feel bad, but I have an odd reaction to it. 8)

I grew up in Florida, and I've done it to death, lived all over it, from G'ville to J'ville to Ft Lauderdale, to Orlando, to Tampa, etc., etc. Gotta broaden my horizons!

I've never been to Charleston, I think next trip I'll have to at least drive through, I've heard it's pretty and I like being close to DC.

ilander - I do get the heebies with Savannah too and have always related it to the active spirit life there.

Charelston was my greater choice ;-) .

Didn't know you lived in G'ville!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, man, G'ville! :wavey:

I will still drive hours out of my way to go to Leonardo's Millhopper to have a cheese pizza. I have eaten pizza all over the US and that is the best IMHO. Really WEIRD that it hasn't changed even a SPECK in over 30 years! The campus location is a waste these days, not nearly as good.

I like the hippie vibe in G'ville, but it's not as strong as it used to be. Were you there when Goerings was at the corner of University and 13th? That's a long time ago . . .

Is that the deal with Savannah? :shock: Suddenly, it makes sense!

You know what else has a bad vibe? Waldo! That place gives me the willies too! It's bad there, I can barely drive through it! I get the feeling of sadness and despair there.

Micanopy I like, I felt really happy there. It's all good there.

I really should look up the histories of these places. . .

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Holy cow! So funny! Leonardo's is THE BEST PIZZA! Were you here to experience Satchel's? It's also good. Some of the hippy vibe has been returning here in the past few years. We have places like Satchel's, Raggae Shack, lots of asian and vegetarian places popping up, and a place specializing in hot dogs. It is also definitely a Moes town. I really like Liquid Ginger, and Taste of Saigon. If you've been to High Springs, they re-modeled The Great Outdoors cafe as well and it's pretty awesome. I just vaguely remember Goerings being on University and 13, but they are completely closed now. They don't even have their other University location anymore. Book Gallery West is really the only smaller used book store in town now, and they seem to be doing really well actually. They added coffee and some tables so I always see students hanging out in there when I drop in.

I don't know a lot about the history of Waldo. I haven't spent very much time there, I've really only driven through. Micanopy is fantastic. There's a shop there now called the Little Shop that is full of the coolest stuff ever! We go down there for the crafts festival, as well as to McIntosh! Did you ever visit Cedar Key?

That is the deal with Savannah yes, and also St. Augustine. I get heavily creeped at the Ft. in St. Augustine, especially when I'm inside.

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Autumnovember|1315439337|3012124 said:
I also live in North Jersey and its definitely not a place I would ever suggest living!

You make me cry, Autumn. I grew up in North Jersey, and I miss it every day of my life. The thing about North Jersey is that every town is completely different from the next, so the experience can really vary. I grew up in Montclair, and it was amazing. I never realized how blessed I was until I had to move away. Great schools, diverse population, unbelieveably gorgeous historical houses, beautiful yards, parks every other block, everything I ever wanted to do within walking distance, no traffic, amazing restuarants with every cuisine under the sun, social activities galore, markets on the weekends, an art museum, a university, half an hour to NYC and an hour to the shore. I absolutely loved it. I now live in the Princeton area and I kind of hate it. It's very pretty, but there is NOTHING to do. You can't go anywhere without driving. The traffic stinks in many places. There are a few nice restaurants in downtown Princeton but otherwise, it's all big, American chain restaurants. I just about cried when my boss told me she was taking me to a "Mexican restaurant" and it turned out to be On the Border. So sad. People in general are not nearly as friendly or open as what I was used to (New York is actually a remarkably friendly city, despite what they say!), and I had an incredibly difficult time meeting people here. The biggest thing for me is not being able to go anywhere without driving. I hate driving so much. I just want to be able to walk down the street to a nice little bagel shop (oh, and the bagels here are terrible, too!). Is that too much to ask? I miss North Jersey.

On the other hand, FI's sister lives in Ardmore, PA, and it's quite nice there. Nice houses, parks, good restaurants... a lot like North Jersey, really. I really like it. But Philly proper is not a place I'd want to live. I have also had bad experiences with both the crime and the traffic there. I guess I was just inexeperienced and hanging out in the wrong places, but I just don't think I'd like living in the city. I actually felt safer living in NYC than I do when I go to Philly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results