shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me make a bling itinerary for my NYC trip!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have daytime Monday and Tuesday (this coming Mon/Tues) pretty much to myself, so I wanted to make a sort of "bling itinerary" of where I should go and where I need to schedule appointments for to see things. I haven't been to NYC in a decade, so I need help with this! What stores should I go to, and is there anything interesting bling-related at any museums? I won't have a car so it all has to be subwayable. I won't be buying anything on this trip so don't want to go anywhere where that might be awkward.

So far I was thinking IDJ, DBL (will I need to call ahead?), and GOG if it is possible for me to get there. I will be staying uncomfortably close to Times Square.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to help =)
Graff and Leviev are close to each other at 62nd & Madison. Hermes is at 6st & Madison.
Cartier and A La Vielle Russie are across the street from each other at 59th & 5th.
T & Co, Van Cleef & Bulgari are at 57th & 5th.
Bergdorf's (59th &5th) has a fabulous jewelry department, and so does Saks 5th Ave at 50th &5th.
Harry Winston is at 718 5th Ave.
The diamond district is around 47th-48th street between 5th & 7th Aves.
The American Museum of Natural History at 79th & Central Park West has an excellent gem room with diamonds of every color.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Distracts,
Cool- a visit to the Big Apple!!

IN the case of visits to us, yes please- a phone call will be a good idea to make sure we're ready to invite you in. Appointments are a good idea with any seller IMO- in our case, you can call a few minutes before arrival, and if I'm here, I'd love to meet you!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, distracts :wavey: Just so you know... the American Museum of Natural History is open on Mondays, but most NYC museums -- and GOG -- are closed on Mondays. It will take you about an hour & 15 minutes to get to GOG, once you board a Long Island Railroad train at Penn Station; you could walk from the Massapequa Park LIRR station (I'll guesstimate it's about a 3/4 mile from GOG), take a bus, or call a taxi if there aren't any at the station:
http://lirr42.mta.info/stationInfo.php?id=114

LIRR fare depends on when you ride the rails. Peak fare to/from Massapequa Park will be $13; off-peak fare is $9.50. Schedule and fare calculator here:
http://lirr42.mta.info/index.php

Have you thought about paying a visit to Adam at Old World Diamonds and/or -- given your interest in colored stones -- Prima Gems on the 16th floor of 42 W. 48th Street (one of Yvonne Raley's sources)?
http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/contact.php
https://www.primagemsusa.com/contact

Even if it doesn't matter to you whether stones are pulled and waiting for you, you should call these two places, at least somewhat ahead, to facilitate getting past the lobbies and into an elevator (neither is on street level); also, Prima Gems will be at 2 trade-only shows in the upcoming week, in Hong Kong and in Denver, so they may not be staffed for receiving retail customers.

Fair warning: Although the US Open is wrapping up this weekend and 9/11 commemorations will have concluded, New York Fashion Week doesn't end until Thursday -- and the opening convocation of the United Nations General Assembly is Tuesday. So there's a massive influx of visitors, and midtown street congestion will be especially heavy when streets are closed for security-logistical reasons:
http://www.amny.com/transit/u-n-general-assembly-traffic-guide-manhattan-street-closures-1.12294166
So you're wise to think you'll be best off getting around on foot and via subway. And if there are any particular restaurants that interest you, do try to make reservations now (if you've not already done so).

Wishing you much fun (despite the crowds)!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't forget Adam at OWD! Call in advance.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for the info! Today was super busy wrapping up everything that needed to be complete before I went out of town, so I didn't have any time to call around today so I'll do that tomorrow when we get to the hotel. It looks like a lot of places are closed Mondays so I'll be planning the stuff I'm most interested in for Tuesday I guess. I always forget places close Monday, though my plans are foiled by that so frequently.

Molly, thank you for link for road closures! That will be useful.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pizza place next to GOG is pretty dang tasty!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Distracts,

I'm so envious! Have a wonderful time!

I hope you take lots of photos and will post each and every one here!

Madame Bijoux, Rockdiamond, MollyMalone, LLJsmom and PintoBean,

You guys are the best!

I've only been to New York once and it was shortly before I discovered PS.

I loved New York! The people are amazing! So nice and helpful. I was only there for four days but knew I'd have to return.

I'm saving all the above wonderful tips for when I get to return to New York. Thank you!

:wavey:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
december-fire|1473562085|4075040 said:
Distracts,

I'm so envious! Have a wonderful time!

I hope you take lots of photos and will post each and every one here!

Madame Bijoux, Rockdiamond, MollyMalone, LLJsmom and PintoBean,

You guys are the best!

I've only been to New York once and it was shortly before I discovered PS.

I loved New York! The people are amazing! So nice and helpful. I was only there for four days but knew I'd have to return.

I'm saving all the above wonderful tips for when I get to return to New York. Thank you!

December-fire... When you come to NY, we are going to have a lost weekend...so much bling we are gonna burn our brains and retinas out bahahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

Distracts, wish you could be in NY long enough to do a PS gtg!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1473565410|4075057 said:

December-fire... When you come to NY, we are going to have a lost weekend...so much bling we are gonna burn our brains and retinas out bahahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

Distracts, wish you could be in NY long enough to do a PS gtg!

Pinto!

Well, if that's not the definition of fun then I don't know what is! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm going to have to look into planning a trip to NYC.

Distracts,

I'm anxiously awaiting your post-NYC comments (and hopefully photos!). :))

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll see what I can do about pictures - everything went all topsy-turvy and I ended up being way busier than I thought AND being sick so I'm just swinging by Prima, IDJ, and DBL this afternoon before seeing Hamilton. Not sure which is more exciting. I somehow forgot all about Prima Gems so thank you for the reminder. They've stopped coming to the Intergems near me and I want to show them the pretty spinel pear ring made with their stone!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also I want to give a shoutout to da real MVP of this trip, the Rimowa store, who replaced the lock on my luggage after TSA broke it in such a way that I couldn't get in to my luggage. 15 min and $30. What champs.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts said:
Also I want to give a shoutout to da real MVP of this trip, the Rimowa store, who replaced the lock on my luggage after TSA broke it in such a way that I couldn't get in to my luggage. 15 min and $30. What champs.

What the heck?!?!

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results