shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find the best ring for my budget

Bedgette

Rough_Rock
Hello all! This is my first post on this board. I'm excited to get input from all. Here's my quick story. I'm looking for an engagement ring for my lady. I'm trying to stay below $5000 all in cost. I've quickly realized the big local stores sell inferior diamonds in my price range. So here I am! I want the best for my buck.

As for the ring style I'm looking for: She likes white gold with a twist in the band and a halo around the main stone. She wants small diamonds along the entire band that is visible when worn.

As for the diamond size. I'm looking in the .75-1 carat range if possible. I really don't know what specs to go for to get the best bang for my buck here. Here's a couple Kay jewelers ring styles she really loved:

http://www.kay.com/en/kaystore/r6-rings-101488--1/vera-wang-love-1-carat-tw-diamonds-14k-white-gold-ring-08074690899--1/101488/101488.101495

http://www.kay.com/en/kaystore/r6-rings-101488--1/diamond-engagement-ring-1-ct-tw-round-cut-14k-white-gold-990677508--1/101488/101488.101495

Please help me get in the right direction. Thank you!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How's about this
LD07076569 (links don't work for blue Nile,youll have to go to their page and search the number. ) It's a H vs2 .78 ideal cut round.
With this setting ,it's platinum, and you could use a discount code to save 100 (we can find it if you're interested) would be a bit under 4700

photogrid_1465136306664.jpg

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi There,

What's her ring size? If there is any chance your gf might like a more traditional style ring, I would go for this one, have the seller ship to WF & have them adjust it (fee probably won't be that much) & they can polish it up & set it.
https://loupetroop.com/listings/rings/whiteflash-harmony-setting-diamond-and-platinum-reduced

I did a quick look but didn't see anything on JA. Here are a few on Whiteflash you should consider: It's a bit slow on the weekend here but others will chime in with stones they've found so you can get some options.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3653206.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3667387.htm

A bit overbudget, but if you keep your setting cost down, up the budget about $500, is doable (maybe?)
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3372524.htm

Judy

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI Bedgette

I think *this* might be what your girlfriend is after. It's custom made by David Klass whose prices are amazingly good and who is a huge favorite here on PS. I'm guessing you'd be able to afford both this setting and the stone with your budget. If you look up David Klass Jewelry on FB, you'll find him with no problem. He works out of LA and has a lovely store there also.

He could source the center stone for you within your budget or you could buy from someone like Blue Nile to keep the price down.

Here's a nice diamond from BN for $3000.31c. You need to go to the BN site:

www.BlueNile.com

Then in the top right corner search for *this* stone:

LD05437969

It's .81ct H SI1 with a 1.9 on the HCA. Check with BN to make sure it's eye clean but, if it is, it will give you a lovely, custom made ring, in the style she wanted, for your budget.

Here's a second stone - just a smidge smaller at .8ct, also an H SI1 with a score of 1 on the HCA. It's $2884.08c

LD06998722

Again, check that it's eye clean, but this, too, should also give you a beautiful ring made just for your girl. :)

Good luck!

dkr1_a.jpg

dkr2_a.jpg

dkr3_a.jpg

dkr4_a.jpg

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mrs.Blop.. That's a great setting suggestion. :))

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ccuheartnurse|1465144195|4040486 said:
Mrs.Blop.. That's a great setting suggestion. :))

Thanks, CC! And David's work is lovely. I thought this ring when I saw it on his page was terrific.

Bedgette

Rough_Rock
Her ring size is 7.75. I like both settings that were suggested so far.

Would Blue Nile be willing to customize the band's they advertise? The one thing I'd like to change is the pink sapphire to a traditional blue sapphire. Sapphire is my girls birth stone so that'd be great.

Mrs.blog- I like the setting. So I can visualize do you know what size diamond was set on that ring you posted?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think they would but you would have to ask them. The good news is a pink sapphire is still a sapphire.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Begdette -

Don't misunderstand - Blue Nile's settings are far from custom. The settings come in certain sizes and the diamond you buy is simply placed into whichever version of the setting you choose that is closest in size. This is why their rings often seem to have gaps around the center stone, or the cathedral arms end before the diamond starts, or there's gaps between center stone and side stones, or the center stone seems to have been squeezed into a setting too small and ends up sitting way too far above the ring. Although I buy most of my diamonds from BN and have been very happy with that aspect of doing business with them, I would never buy a setting from them (I have in the past - never again) as their prong work is heavy and lumpy, almost all their settings use peg heads, their diamonds often aren't well seated in their settings, and their melee (the tiny diamonds in the band or around the center stone in a halo) are not great quality, so it can look a trifle dead.

Since you really can afford a true custom setting, I'm not sure why you wouldn't. David Klass' work is lovely, and you can get exactly what you want for the budget you've stipulated. You can ALWAYS save a few bucks in jewelry buying - but it means cutting corners somewhere. To that end, believe me - you WILL be able to see the lower standard in a pre-made ring, whereas a setting custom made by someone like DK will fit your stone exactly and will be far more beautiful.

My best advice really is to get your stone from BN but to get your setting elsewhere. My suggestion for setting is with DK as his quality and price point converge at a level most people on PS find acceptable. He's also as nice a person as you will ever meet and Amy, his partner, is equally lovely, and they'll bend over backwards to give you what you want.

ETA If you want to know the size of the diamond, call or email David and Amy and ask; they'll tell you. If I try to guess, I"m sure to be way off! :))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1465160301|4040573 said:
Begdette -

Don't misunderstand - Blue Nile's settings are far from custom. The settings come in certain sizes and the diamond you buy is simply placed into whichever version of the setting you choose that is closest in size. This is why their rings often seem to have gaps around the center stone, or the cathedral arms end before the diamond starts, or there's gaps between center stone and side stones, or the center stone seems to have been squeezed into a setting too small and ends up sitting way too far above the ring. Although I buy most of my diamonds from BN and have been very happy with that aspect of doing business with them, I would never buy a setting from them (I have in the past - never again) as their prong work is heavy and lumpy, almost all their settings use peg heads, their diamonds often aren't well seated in their settings, and their melee (the tiny diamonds in the band or around the center stone in a halo) are not great quality, so it can look a trifle dead.

Since you really can afford a true custom setting, I'm not sure why you wouldn't. David Klass' work is lovely, and you can get exactly what you want for the budget you've stipulated. You can ALWAYS save a few bucks in jewelry buying - but it means cutting corners somewhere. To that end, believe me - you WILL be able to see the lower standard in a pre-made ring, whereas a setting custom made by someone like DK will fit your stone exactly and will be far more beautiful.

My best advice really is to get your stone from BN but to get your setting elsewhere. My suggestion for setting is with DK as his quality and price point converge at a level most people on PS find acceptable. He's also as nice a person as you will ever meet and Amy, his partner, is equally lovely, and they'll bend over backwards to give you what you want.

Being that he's buying a 6mm stone I don't see any problem with it fitting the stone, second a halo from dk will be more tham 2k in platinum also, not everyone has the stomach for custom. that BN one is clearly BNs version of that Vera Wang one op linked, down to having a sapphire in the profile.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1465160546|4040574 said:
Begdette -

Being that he's buying a 6mm stone I don't see any problem with it fitting the stone, second a halo from dk will be more tham 2k in platinum also, not everyone has the stomach for custom. that BN one is clearly BNs version of that Vera Wang one op linked, down to having a sapphire in the profile.

First stone I ever bought from BN was 6.03mm - absolutely standard. Didn't fit its setting.

I think the setting pictured will be very close to $2k in price. Easy enough to check, tho, and still far better than a BN setting on every front.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1465161030|4040578 said:
Begdette -

First stone I ever bought from BN was 6.03mm - absolutely standard. Didn't fit its setting.

I think the setting pictured will be very close to $2k in price. Easy enough to check, tho, and still far better than a BN setting on every front.

Besides the fact the bn one is almost exactly like the one she loved at Kay's and is easier than going custom

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1465161112|4040579 said:
Begdette -

Besides the fact the bn one is almost exactly like the one she loved at Kay's and is easier than going custom

Easier - yes. Less beautiful - yes to that also.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1465163198|4040590 said:
Niel|1465161112|4040579 said:
Begdette -

Easier - yes. Less beautiful - yes to that also.

Good to know you don't like it, but she does, obviously, if you actually look at the links he posted.

Spend more time and more money to get a ring that looks less like the one she loves? guess that's one way to do it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Op,
There used to be a Gabriel and co setting that looked so much like that first Vera Wang one. I'm trying to find it. Sadly, it's not too easy to searh through all their settings. But I'm still looking. :read: :read: :read:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They'll make it for the size of your diamond. They won't just plop it into a halo that's hole is too big.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bedgette|1465168383|4040610 said:
Is James Allen the same way for not customizing the setting to fit the center stone? This setting linked below is beautiful and says it will fit .75 to 1.5. I'm worried a .75 stone will look to small unless they create the halo for a .75 stone.

https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-two-tier-halo-engagement-ring-item-52600

IMHO it's important to look at the images JA provides to see what the ring looks like with different center stone sizes. To me, the one you posted above kind of "swallows" a .70 diamond (if you look at the images they show it with a stone of that size, and I feel like the diamond kind of gets lost in it).

ETA: yes, they will make the setting to fit your stone specifically (see how all of the images with customer stones look different). But I still think that setting is too "large" for that size diamond.

I think for that size diamond, the two settings tyty posted (linked below) will look much better.

https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-pave-halo-and-twisted-shank-solitaire-item-17462
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-pave-halo-and-twisted-shank-solitaire-item-17466

I certainly agree with MrsBlop that the DK ring is gorgeous and you might be able to get it in budget, but if you think your girl would prefer the JA options (or don't want to go the custom route), I think they will work great :)

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with Lovedogs that although some of these twisted styles are nice, they tend to be a bit wider & may in fact overpower a stone in the .75 range. This is the reason I like the David Klass one the best, the shank looks narrow, the twisted design looks twisted (and not just criss-crossed) & it's custom. You can make it as custom or off the shelf as you want. You can ask DK to make it "just like the picture". Same as ordering from a picture on JA or any other website. You wont know how expensive the setting from David is if you don't ask. I would at least ask, what have you got to lose? ** if you send an email, leave a voice mail you sent an email. LOL ** And when you send your email, ask David for the price of the design as is, & 2, if he had any recommendation how to reduce the price (perhaps smaller melee in the halo??). The OP hasn't asked for Platinum, he mentioned his girlfriend wanting white gold. It's entirely possible that DK's design is doable in 14k.

Otherwise, I would probably go for this JA one: Although there is no halo, perhaps they can solder a small halo on it? You'll have to ask if they can do it & how much.. It might be cheaper to do semi-custom with JA than custom. Again, ask for pricing.
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-pave-twist-diamond-engagement-ring-item-52627

This kind of idea but without the diamonds on the struts....
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-embellished-gallery-pave-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-item-53053

Edited to Add: I forgot to mention. If you do end up emailing DK, attach the pics of the 2 rings your gf likes from Kays & ask him for pricing.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another great option would be to call IDJ and ask to speak to Yekutiel. He carries Gabriel & Co. and this setting looks like it would fit the bill of what your lady is looking for. With the remaining budget, ask Yekutiel to find you the best PS quality diamond and you can post the images here first to receive input!

http://idjewelry.com/14k-white-gold-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-er7543w44jj.html

Here's also a cushion shaped halo that I believe Niel was referring to, which is very close to the first Kay setting you linked:
http://idjewelry.com/14k-white-gold-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-er10111w44jj.html

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results