shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a stone on a budget please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I just bought a pendant mounting that needs a 6mm square or square cushion shaped stone. It has a small diamond halo with a diamond bale (I''ll take pics when it arrives this week). It was such a great deal I couldn''t pass it up, but I don''t want to spend a fortune on a center stone. I''m open to pretty much any cut or color/type, as long as it''s about $50 or less and will fit. Anyone seen anything like that out there?

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, I know I''m shooting for the moon, but I''m also having an amethyst ring made right now so I don''t want to spend too much. I love the suggestions, just sadly more than I can afford.

I do have a blue topaz pendant and a ruby pendant, but that''s it as far as color goes. Maybe somthing pink? Any thoughts on a morganite?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
This one is a little small. The pink tourmaline in the bottom right is pretty but slightly too big. How much leeway in the size do you have?

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I like both of those!

The seller said max 6mm, but could go smaller. So I would think 5.5-6 should be safe, but I won''t know for sure until it arrives. Maybe a cushion could be a little bigger, since the corners are rounded in?

I might just have to ebay it, but it''s such a pain to search ebay when you need a certain size!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Morganite of that size would be tough to find (they''re usually larger), and I''m not sure it would have much color as they become more saturated with size. Pink tourmaline is a better idea IMO. Even heated pink sapphire could be found within the budget.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I noticed that about morganite, toumaline might be a good choice though.

I actually have a small gem collection, but none of them are the right size!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I''m no expert, but it looks pretty to me.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
The AJS zircon is quite pretty. The ebay honey zircon is slightly too brown for my taste (and it''s likely that both honey zircons will look more brown in person as well). The cut looks okay. The culet may be somewhat off center or maybe it''s just the angle of the photos. I really like the look of the green zircon.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. I wouldn''t mind a little brown, kinda earthy look. As much as I love the look of the green, I don''t think I own much to wear it with.

After getting the mounting yesterday (sorry, I was too lazy to take pics last night!), i''m also a little worried about stones with pointy corners. The setting has a single prong in each corner, and I''m just scared a pointy corner stone would get chipped or not fit well. I think it also needs a stone with straight sides though, it''s a very angular mount, and the rounded cushion shape might not go well. So that leaves me looking for a cut-corner square...

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 11:03:33 AM
Author: MustangGal
Thanks. I wouldn''t mind a little brown, kinda earthy look. As much as I love the look of the green, I don''t think I own much to wear it with.

After getting the mounting yesterday (sorry, I was too lazy to take pics last night!), i''m also a little worried about stones with pointy corners. The setting has a single prong in each corner, and I''m just scared a pointy corner stone would get chipped or not fit well. I think it also needs a stone with straight sides though, it''s a very angular mount, and the rounded cushion shape might not go well. So that leaves me looking for a cut-corner square...
And zircons are infamous for chipping, so I''d think twice about those princess cuts. But e-bay brown zircon is an octagon, so it might fit perfectly.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
That''s what I was thinking to mr ma re, the octagon might be just what I need. I''ll measure tonight and make sure it''ll fit in there. The zircon is a tad over 6mm, but those cut corners should help. I just don''t want it hanging orver the halo too much.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results