shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a setting for my Finewater Garnet

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All,

This was my first CS purchase and I appreciate your comments on the stone from Gene. It came today, and even though I know the drawbacks for rhodolite garnets, but the cut on this is beautiful and it has a lot of flashes. It is also my birthstone so I'm very happy with it.

I am posting a photo and two videos. I would like some suggestions for ring settings. I'm assuming b/c of the octagon shape I will have to go custom (but I know nothing about buying settings). If that's the case, I would use DK. I would love to see some photo suggestions from all you CS experts out there. I took the one next to my ER b/c I think it needs the coolness of some melee. I appreciate any and all responses.

Rhodolite Garnet

Rhodolite Garnet next to diamonds

IMG_2689.JPG

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just here to say I hope you have had a chance to see it outside in the sun (if your part of the world has such a thing) -- it looks like it would really light up there!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Just realized I posted my tourmaline instead of the garnet. The one with the diamonds shows the garnet. Anyway, it actually goes a little dark in the sun, but doesn’t really look dull, just darker. Inside in different lighting it still flashes. I really like it.
Does anyone have suggestions for settings? I’m thinking halo. Any suggestions for where I should get it from? I know DK, but any other suggestions?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would help people to see the vendor photos so we can get some setting ideas for you. I checked the finewater site and I believe this is the right one (please correct me if I’m wrong). If I’m sharing the right one, he mentioned that it should fit a calibrated setting so you wouldn’t necessarily have to go custom.
Dimmensions: 9mmx9mmx5.3mm

904C5F5D-B70C-4F74-8A30-A4AE80349D41.jpeg

F6676BAA-5442-41D1-AAF0-B91600AEA262.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m thinking halo. Any suggestions for where I should get it from? I know DK, but any other suggestions?

I haven’t worked with them, but
if you do some digging around here - you can find some lovely halos posted that were from Debebians and DanielM.

I think it’s definitely worth asking any vendor you contact what stock (stuller?) halos might work for your stone! It’s beautiful!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I think it would help people to see the vendor photos so we can get some setting ideas for you. I checked the finewater site and I believe this is the right one (please correct me if I’m wrong). If I’m sharing the right one, he mentioned that it should fit a calibrated setting so you wouldn’t necessarily have to go custom.
Dimmensions: 9mmx9mmx5.3mm
Thanks. I’ll do that.
Yea. That is it.
I haven’t worked with them, but
if you do some digging around here - you can find some lovely halos posted that were from Debebians and DanielM.

I think it’s definitely worth asking any vendor you contact what stock (stuller?) halos might work for your stone! It’s beautiful!

904C5F5D-B70C-4F74-8A30-A4AE80349D41.jpeg

F6676BAA-5442-41D1-AAF0-B91600AEA262.jpeg

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to give you an idea of how it could look set in a standard round.

A58D8854-00C8-400B-ACDB-E29798F88CBE.jpeg

And my poorly executed mock-up attempt for a setting to showcase the angles.
372A8A60-2D35-4C10-9F71-26F037682803.jpeg

I love how the second setting reinforces the shape of the gem.❤

@elle_71125 do you use a program for the mock-ups? It's always so helpful when you share them.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love how the second setting reinforces the shape of the gem.❤

@elle_71125 do you use a program for the mock-ups? It's always so helpful when you share them.

Thank you. I use “you doodle+.” Someone on PS recommended it (sorry, I can’t remember who). It’s free and really helps with putting stuff together.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually I love your poorly executed mock up!! LOL.
Thank you! I personally like it kite set (with the points being north & south) because it really emphasizes the sharp edges).

I’m on the Danielm site now. I like his work. Does anyone know if his pricing is good?
His pricing is very good. I’ve used him for two rings and he did a great job. In my experience, his price is lower than David Klass, but DK’s craftmanship is better. He is definitely a great option IMO.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! I’ve DMd him so we’ll see what he comes back with.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@momofive He might not respond right away. He's on vacation right now. His prices are excellent and I really like his work! Here are a couple examples: DanielMTourmalineRing4.jpeg

7dot4TanzanitePendant2.jpeg

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous! Rock that red.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you. I was really happy with the red color of the stones. So many garnets are dark burgundy or dull. The gut on this was beautiful and really helped to bring out a nice cranberry red with lots of flashes.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
:love: Ooh, I like that very much (I'm not usually a halo fan either)

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
Stunning! Love that red and that beautiful setting. Enjoy.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
That color is gorgeous, and stunning with a white diamond halo!

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that turned out well! (No surprise there, though.) What a beautiful design. I look forward to seeing photos of it on your hand!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out beautifully! Love the design. Looking forward to hand shots!

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
hoping to see real life pics soon!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Me, Too! LOL

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Here it is! My first ever custom setting! 3.03ct rhodolite fancy cut garnet from Finewater Gems with 0.43 G, VS round brilliant melee. I love that it is dainty and the stone is low enough that I can wear it for daytime. Just right!
Garnet Ring

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
nice!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results