shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a diamond for my friend!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
So my friend is getting ready to propose and asked me to help him find a great rock. The setting will probably be a simple yellow gold solitaire with platinum or white gold prongs (I suggested WF's Legato Sleek Line). His budget is about $6k for the whole thing. He doesn't have specific criteria for the 4 Cs, but I suggested going for an ideal cut stone in the 0.8-1 ct range, probably G-H, VS2-SI1 to maximize his bang for the buck.

I suggested this stone for him as well as one other from WF's virtual inventory (that one is now gone):
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2668194.htm

As well as this one from BGD:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104052884013

I'd love to hear any other suggestions! I went through JA's inventory but didn't find much better deals.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Gypsy! I believe she wants a round and doesn't want a second-hand ring/stone.

ETA: Both really pretty, though! Maybe someone else will see this thread and go for one of those.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, slg...great finds! I'll pass those along.

Any chance there might be something closer to 1ct hidden in the depths of the internet?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1316134455|3018570 said:
Thanks, slg...great finds! I'll pass those along.

Any chance there might be something closer to 1ct hidden in the depths of the internet?

Not with AGS, but maybe with a GIA EX/EX that scores well. I'd call ID jewelry and see what they can find. I've worked with them twice now and been so happy each time. I'd tell them G or H VS or SI and eyeclean. And I'd see if I color would be okay, because that might be a trade off to make for more size.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
That's exactly what I was thinking, Gypsy (about looking for a GIA stone with a good HCA score, which I tried to find at JA but came up empty). He lives in the Northeast so he might even be able to visit ID Jewelers.

I've shown him this thread so he can look into some of the recs and think about color/clarity (specifically I and/or SI1). Thanks, and keep the recommendations coming!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If he's going to go to NY call ERD too. They have skills at finding good deals.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1316136602|3018590 said:
thbmok|1316136111|3018584 said:

With GIA you generally want to stick with Ex/Ex stones... but there can be a few good finds in the VG department. Jstar... if you are considering a VG I'd ask StoneCold what he thinks.

Thanks! I'm thinking the one stone may have gotten VG because of the polish/symmetry rather than the proportions? The other is an Excellent for cut. If he likes these, I'll ask SC about that. (ETA: The VG one scores 1.2 on the HCA, so it might be a winner.)

I'll mention ERD as well as IDJ if he ends up taking a trip to NYC. Lots of options for him here!

I can't believe how much prices have increased. My AGS ideal princess (bought in 2007) was only $4k and it's 1ct...granted, it's an I, but it's also a VVS2. I should probably have my insurance adjusted...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results