shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a cake stand.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brown_eyes

Shiny_Rock
So my sister is making my wedding cake for me. It will be a 5 tier cake with the bottom layer being 14 inches.

I need to find a 14" cake stand to display her masterpiece but I''m having some trouble. I would prefer to rent or make it, trying not to spend alot of money on something that we will use once, but still want it to look nice.

Anyone know where I can rent one or have any creative ideas of a DIY type stand?

Thanks in advance!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Florists, Bakeries, Craft Stores (Michael's, Joanne Fabrics, etc.), Google...

Just call around.

FYI- My cake stand was about and inch to 2 inches larger than the cake, and the lady that made it just put beading between the edge and the cake. I would use a cake stand that is just a little bit wider than the bottom tier of the cake... if for nothing else, then at least you have protection from people's arms and other objects while carrying.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Do you know what you want your cake to look like yet? Also what season is your wedding and do you have any type of theme? Are you open to something a bit kitschey?

Example - I really wanted a sled as our cake stand for our winter wedding (my mother ended up vetoing this since she felt our cake was festive enough
40.gif
)

For a spring/summer wedding this is a neat idea, using votives

eta: did you ask your venue about borrowing one?

creativecakestands2569.jpg

meresal

Ideal_Rock
You can kind of see it on this picture... the 2 or 3 small rows of icing beads, at the bottom of the cake, are just to cover the space between the bottom of the cake and the edge of the stand.

5610_576655765501_44001895_33770784_5504455_p.jpg

winelover23

Ideal_Rock
etsy.com or save-on-crafts.com

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Here's another idea for you too...we had our cake on a table. On the table we put a wooden footstool thing that my mom had in the house, then covered that with a tablecloth and put the cake on it. I thought it looked pretty damn good
16.gif
3.gif
, I'll find a pic.

ETA: There we go. The gold thing under the cake was provided by the baker. Cake stands are expensive! But they can also be resold. Try projectwedding.com to see if anyone is selling theirs.
ScreenHunter_27%20Dec.%2020%2019.07.jpg

brown_eyes

Shiny_Rock
Ladies, thanks so much for the ideas!

sunnyd - I love that look and I think something like that would be perfect (and less expensive)

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Just realized I didn''t say this in my first post... but you don''t have to buy a cake stand. All of the places that I listed will let you rent them.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2010 10:27:54 AM
Author: brown_eyes
Ladies, thanks so much for the ideas!

sunnyd - I love that look and I think something like that would be perfect (and less expensive)
Thanks! You could even stick a sturdy cardboard box under there if need be.
1.gif

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
What is the style of your wedding? I made ours for free out of cut wood.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I saw random cake stands at my local goodwill. You can certainly look at second hand stores in your area... I didn''t measure them, of course. I think Tuesday monring had some random ones too, or Marshalls. Never know what you will find!

Good luck!

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
just wanted to say, check etsy too!

let us know what you find/decide. i''m curious.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results