shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me Find a BIG BLACK BOOKCASE

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
DH and I just bought a loft.
It is very urban and open and our 2nd bedroom isn''t really supposed to be a bedroom, but we made it one anyway and we don''t care what you say...That rhymes!
2.gif

Anyway...our second bedroom is open to the entire downstairs. The ceilings are about 30 feet high and we need some practical storage. So the idea is to place a large 6'' x 6'' bookcase there. I am totally digging the look of a black cubed style bookcase. Ikea has one in the right style, but not the right quality. Pottery Barn has a better quality but not the right size.

Our thought is to store in pretty storage boxes with little labels (perfect for my ocd personality) our bills, letterhead, stationary, photographs and mix some great photos, pottery, baskets, etc.. into the mix to create a wall of sorts. This will give our very rare guest some privacy and break the space up so you aren''t staring at a big black bed while enjoying your cocktail in the dining room.

Any thoughts? Help me o master shoppers!!!

Thanks girls! I know I can count on you!
-Janna

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Storehouse? Crate and Barrel? Those are two of my favorites for that sort of thing... although mostly just for dreaming, right now... until our apartment is larger than 950 sf!!
28.gif

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve tried both and nothing.
This might be our option, in black though.
It''s the bookcase from Pottery Barn...

Bookcase.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
what about two of the ones from PB? side by side? i'd like them better if they didn't have little round feet, i don't know why!

did you check C&B? they have some stuff like that i thought. taller too maybe.

what about ballard designs? or did you look online? furniture.com? overstock.com? they have some stuff like that sometimes.

local store, what about scandinavian designs? they do some modernish stuff like that but it can be pricey. they are at santana right next to C&B. also zgallerie has furniture, in santana as well and they have a website. pretty cool stuff, love that store.

oh and check westelm.com they are owned by PB and sometimes you will find similar pieces but slightly more modernish and in black typically.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jorman I was going to post that bookcase for you from PB until I saw that it didn't come in black, unless I read wrong. I do love it!

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I like it too.
I just wish it was a foot wider so it would hide our guest bed better. Here is a picture from the previous owners furniture, but instead of the black bookcases on the back wall- we have a huge Texas size bed- our guest room is lofted about in a master suite.

This might have the be the bookcase we go with.
5.gif

Loft 4.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
This is from an online co called Grandinroad.com
I have no idea of the quality...although the prices are pretty darn low...
you mix and match these to make what you want...
Buying sight unseen is always a gamble

grandinroad.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
don''t think that worked

bookcases.jpg

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Grandinroad is part of the Frontgate catalog collection so I think the quality is probably pretty good. No 1st hand accounts to offer though.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Interesting! Thanks! They has a really nice traditional bookcase I liked very much but wasn''t sure of quality....Maybe worth a try!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh i like those grand ones...i wonder if she could remove the backing on them if she wanted a more open look...

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks MoreMoreMore! I knew you would chime in at some point- you are the shopping queen- and you have great taste~

I will check that place out. Thanks for all your recommendations!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! LOL..I can''t resist a good home decor thread !!!

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Okay- the grandinroad.com bookcase isn''t going to work because the big black bed is distressed but the "under color" of the distressing is cherry- not pine. So it won''t match. We are going to need something like the black PB Bookcase, but 1'' taller and 1'' wider. We love that the PB bookcase is finished on both sides.

HELP O MASTER SHOPPERS OF THE UNIVERSE!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Do you really want it to match? I kind of like it when it doesn't! Or is that Grandin Road distressed too and a different color distressed?

edited- i just saw that the bookcase is distressed...I wouldn't want to distressed pieces that aren't the same either...and yes, you do need it to be finished on both sides! oops! Hmmmm....

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
What about these from West Elm? Kinda funky but I always think of West Elm as "loft" furniture! You could put two of the tall ones side by side...

westelmshelves2.jpg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try Room and Board. Nice mix of contemporary and classic...much higher quality than Ikea or such places.

This comes in ebony:
coll_segmentshelving.jpg

This comes in ebony, too:
coll_kivaroomdivider.jpg

This only comes in espresso but I think it''s gorgeous:
coll_yoshi.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I saw those! Those are cool...but don't come in black....I didn't think the ebony was black despite the name...it looks very dark but not black...dunno...oh, just looked again, they do look black! hence the name LOL...edited again!- In another picture, the "segment" shelves don't look black...go figure!

This is from identitycraft.com Only in CA though....comes in lots of finishes including black!

bkcases.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2006 8:45:34 PM
Author: curlygirl
What about these from West Elm? Kinda funky but I always think of West Elm as 'loft' furniture! You could put two of the tall ones side by side...
this is totally what i was thinking when i recommended west elm, it's sooo loft living. i love the idea of putting two side by side. the small one would be a great 'bedside' table to 'finish' the guest room kinda thing.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I really like the west elm ones..but they are not black
7.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hey! They also have black...Only $299...could be crap...maybe not...who knows...but at least you might be able to look at it if you like the design... I think I like the west elm better...but again, the whole black issue...I think my fav is the plain cube style....this is getting a little busy for me but that's just me

blacktarget.jpg

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Thank MMM, KristyDarling and Mara!

These are great options!

MMM- I am with you. I am loving the cube style...I guess its because we have many transitional pieces, and I don''t want to go too modern because I think it will clash. We are definitely going to mix up the art on the walls with some modern pieces. I think I am going to make them myself- we''ll see how that goes. I also will add some modern in with lighting- maybe some paper floor lamps and an arched chrome lamp or two...

These are the media cabinets in our living room:

Anyway- I like the cube design.
Hmmmm...

WalkerBookcase for Loft.jpg

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
This is the rug in the living room:

Zoccolo Rug for loft.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

for cube style, those identitycraft ones that MMM posted look pretty sweet and wide too.

jorman did i tell you about the cool painted art canvases we saw in the model homes when we were looking here at buying our place? we have this huge big entry wall and they had done three rectangle huge art canvases with paint on them, each canvas was a different color and it was layered up the wall, very modern and cool. i thought about doing something like that for behind our entertainment center in shades of green with skinny rectangles (like 3 long skinny ones maybe in 3 various but coordinated shades of green) but am still mulling it around. anyway the painted canvas thing was pretty sweet, i still do want to use it somewhere and it seems like it''d be very affordable, just paint and canvas!

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t looked at the identitycraft one yet. I am working on it though. These are some great options though. Room and Board has some cool stuff!

I LOVE the canvas idea. One of the guys in a loft down the way painted all his own canvases and they look awesome. D and I asked if he was an artist and he said no. He just bought some white canvases and splashed some paint about and it looks HOT! I love it! The new Michaels off Coleman has some great canvas size options, so I think I might just have to go for it! I am seeing a group project for us Miss Mara! Where can we paint and make a mess?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha not over here unless we want greg hovering around us the whole time, cautioning us to be careful with the paint splatters.
5.gif
i don''t think he''ll go for the whole ''but it makes the garage floor a work of art, honey!'' line. we''ll have to give it some thought...hmmmm.

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
What if we laid plastic protective layers down first, so the preciousa car garage was safe and sound?
Maybe there''s a place in town that lets you paint there and get all messy and then you go home with pretty pictures???
We will have to put our heads together and think of something. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results