shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide please!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this for an engagement ring? If yes, what will the setting look like? Asking because in this size of stone you should be able to potentially increase size by going down to I/J and SI1 clarity

sanpreet

Rough_Rock
Is this for an engagement ring? If yes, what will the setting look like? Asking because in this size of stone you should be able to potentially increase size by going down to I/J and SI1 clarity

Thank you for your response.

Yes, it is an engagement ring. Setting as in ring setting. If yes, I am putting it on paved ring linked below.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your response.

Yes, it is an engagement ring. Setting as in ring setting. If yes, I am putting it on paved ring linked below.

That's a nice setting, good choice! What is your budget for the stone, and do you know if the wearer is color sensitive?

sanpreet

Rough_Rock
That's a nice setting, good choice! What is your budget for the stone, and do you know if the wearer is color sensitive?

Thank you.

I am looking for nice sparkle and brilliance. I want it to look nice and different when my partner wears it. Hopefully "A Above cut" diamond.

My budget is CAD 3k for ring and diamond which is about USD 2400. Ring setting is $875, so I am left with USD 1500-1600.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you buy the .521 or did it sell why you were looking?

Ask WF for side-by-side pictures of the stones and post them here. Its hind of a tough decision to make because all 3 of the
stones are beautifully cut (super Ideals). In the .5ish range, the color will be less noticeable. If it wont hurt you financially, I would
probably go with the H....pictures could cause me to change my mind though. If the budget is tight, get the .525 I. It is ever so
slightly bigger.

Put the other two stones on hold...ask for pictures and post them here.

sanpreet

Rough_Rock
Did you buy the .521 or did it sell why you were looking?

Ask WF for side-by-side pictures of the stones and post them here. Its hind of a tough decision to make because all 3 of the
stones are beautifully cut (super Ideals). In the .5ish range, the color will be less noticeable. If it wont hurt you financially, I would
probably go with the H....pictures could cause me to change my mind though. If the budget is tight, get the .525 I. It is ever so
slightly bigger.

Put the other two stones on hold...ask for pictures and post them here.

Hey,

0.521 is sold out.

These are the pics of 0.525 diamond with color I and clarity VS1.
Screenshot_20210416-072106_Firefox.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210416-072129_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210416-072129_Firefox.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20210416-072137_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210416-072137_Firefox.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20210416-072145_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210416-072145_Firefox.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 4

sanpreet

Rough_Rock
This is 0.511, H, VS2 but this is bit above my budget.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210416-072218_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210416-072218_Firefox.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20210416-072221_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210416-072221_Firefox.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20210416-072225_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210416-072225_Firefox.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20210416-072228_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210416-072228_Firefox.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 4

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This might be a good alternate. J color but gives you a little size bump for about $100 more than the H.

Definitely want to see it in side by side with an H and I so you can define the color preference.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another to consider. Gets you to 0.60 carats and I color. An eye clean SI1 that fits budget.

55.2, table, 62 depth, 34.6/40.8 & 77 LGF :kiss2:

Technically it’s an “expert select” instead of ACA but looking and images and proportions it appears it missed ACA as stars are 47, whereas ACA is 48-55.

The ES comes with all the same trade perks as the ACA and it looks gorgeous. This would be high on my radar!

sanpreet

Rough_Rock
This might be a good alternate. J color but gives you a little size bump for about $100 more than the H.

Definitely want to see it in side by side with an H and I so you can define the color preference.

This one looks really nice. I will ask for comparison table w pics from WF. $100 should be fine for bit more. Do you think there will be much of color difference between H and J. Like in terms of being cloudy or yellow tones. Thank you

sanpreet

Rough_Rock
Another to consider. Gets you to 0.60 carats and I color. An eye clean SI1 that fits budget.

55.2, table, 62 depth, 34.6/40.8 & 77 LGF :kiss2:

Technically it’s an “expert select” instead of ACA but looking and images and proportions it appears it missed ACA as stars are 47, whereas ACA is 48-55.

The ES comes with all the same trade perks as the ACA and it looks gorgeous. This would be high on my radar!

With SL1, will it make it more cloudy and yellow?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I don’t think the clarity will make either stone look cloudy or yellow. FYI, clarity really shouldn’t define color either way.

In particular ACA’s are specifically vetted to ensure light performance is not impeded by stated inclusions. In the case of the ES, it does not appear there are any problems but it is a concern that WF can address when they pull & evaluate the stones for you.

In regards to color, it’s a personal preference on which is best and individual color sensitivity will determine how easily you do or don’t see differences. Some key take always I can explain in more detail if needed:

1. You can “cheat” color a bit in smaller stones. Tint, or color, is magnified in the body (side) view. Smaller stones have smaller bodies so there is less to see. In your case 0.50 vs 0.60 isn’t a difference. Think bigger like 1.50 vs 0.50.

2. From the top view, color is much harder to see. Color is best seen (and graded in the labs) by examining the body (side) view.

3. The typical setting naturally covers up a good portion of the body so sometimes the setting can help mask color to a certain degree.

4. My pet peeve is the misnomer of “yellow”, lol. I’m kidding mostly. I know i did it at first too. But in reality stones can have an array of undertones although yellow is by and far the largest. However, in the photos below I think “tint” is a more appropriate term. None of these truly look “yellow” to me.

C8A5AECF-0651-49E1-920E-2D55FB4ECB5B.jpeg
AEDF861E-95C7-485A-A43D-B32C4079A72A.jpeg
D4C5A8DD-3F78-4EB9-A1D1-5DDB64B5D2F0.jpeg

Last edited:

sanpreet

Rough_Rock
No I don’t think the clarity will make either stone look cloudy or yellow. FYI, clarity really shouldn’t define color either way.

In particular ACA’s are specifically vetted to ensure light performance is not impeded by stated inclusions. In the case of the ES, it does not appear there are any problems but it is a concern that WF can address when they pull & evaluate the stones for you.

In regards to color, it’s a personal preference on which is best and individual color sensitivity will determine how easily you do or don’t see differences. Some key take always I can explain in more detail if needed:

1. You can “cheat” color a bit in smaller stones. Tint, or color, is magnified in the body (side) view. Smaller stones have smaller bodies so there is less to see. In your case 0.50 vs 0.60 isn’t a difference. Think bigger like 1.50 vs 0.50.

2. From the top view, color is much harder to see. Color is best seen (and graded in the labs) by examining the body (side) view.

3. The typical setting naturally covers up a good portion of the body so sometimes the setting can help mask color to a certain degree.

4. My pet peeve is the misnomer of “yellow”, lol. I’m kidding mostly. I know i did it at first too. But in reality stones can have an array of undertones although yellow is by and far the largest. However, in the photos below I think “tint” is a more appropriate term. None of these truly look “yellow” to me.

C8A5AECF-0651-49E1-920E-2D55FB4ECB5B.jpeg
AEDF861E-95C7-485A-A43D-B32C4079A72A.jpeg
D4C5A8DD-3F78-4EB9-A1D1-5DDB64B5D2F0.jpeg

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

I really love this one setting from james allen but I'm not sure if their diamonds are as good WF.

This is the ring setting: https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...old-two-row-u-pave-engagement-ring-item-67745

And i was thinking of this diamond.

Attaching ags certificate and pics. Can you please help me decide between WF and JA Screenshot_20210417-205615_Gmail.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210417-212443_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20210417-212443_Gmail.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20210417-212446_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20210417-212446_Gmail.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20210417-204005_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210417-204005_Firefox.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20210417-204011_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210417-204011_Firefox.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 8

sanpreet

Rough_Rock
Vs this diamond from WF

Along w this ring setting

Vs this diamond from WF

Along w this ring setting

My personal preference is for WF over JA - their ACAs are the top of the line in terms of cut, their upgrade policy is top notch, and I personally prefer the single row of pave ring setting over the JA one with two rows of pave. The reason being that having a single row of pave will look more delicate and will make the stone appear a bit bigger (since the shank will be thinner). So I think WF presents better value if the prices are similar.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hands down WF. The stone is better.

Take a peek at the IS image of the JA stone. Notice the black and white on the left side? That should all be red. This tells us it’s not performing to its optimal ability. Also the symmetry looks off on the arrows of the stone. The hearts looks pretty decent but isn’t as tightly cut as the WF stone. The computer generated ASET also shows an irregular pattern of blue.

Obviously it wasn’t a total dud as it still got 000. I do like the proportions of the stone but I am not a fan of this particular stone because of the reasons already stated.

It is a few hundred bucks cheaper than the WF stone so at least the lesser performance is receiving a discount. However I think the simplicity and flexibility of the WF trade program more than makes up for that difference. With WF, spend $1 more and do what you want. With JA you have to spend 2x the original value each time you upgrade.

I personally like the thinner setting at WF better. Visually it will make the center stone appear larger than the wider JA setting.

With either vendor, you need to have them color match the melee (side stones) so they match your center stone. I think both were G/H in color, which would make your melee whiter than your center. Also smaller stones can shown even more white than their stated color making this step even more important IMO.

Speaking of melee, WF uses H&A melee to further compliment your H&A center stone.

F013AC77-7F39-4C95-BB18-FE1B1ECA3634.jpeg
4E932DD3-6FD9-400A-83FD-9EFC9EDF276B.jpeg
7795AE9D-353B-4A44-8392-10FBCCF438FD.jpeg

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
I’m no expert so can’t make any suggestions on the technical aspect. However, just wanted to chime in that for myself personally, I’d notice the difference in the tint between H and J. I prefer my diamond white but that’s a personal preference. Also, I‘ve never got a setting from WF. I wonder if they can use warmer color diamonds in the setting if you decide to go with a J center. The description said the setting is made with F/G stones so you may see that the setting may look a bit whiter than your center stone at certain angles (I found that smaller stones look a little whiter than a larger stone of the same color). Just something to consider.

sanpreet

Rough_Rock
My personal preference is for WF over JA - their ACAs are the top of the line in terms of cut, their upgrade policy is top notch, and I personally prefer the single row of pave ring setting over the JA one with two rows of pave. The reason being that having a single row of pave will look more delicate and will make the stone appear a bit bigger (since the shank will be thinner). So I think WF presents better value if the prices are similar.

I agree with you with the band and brand . I will stick with WF. Thanks a lot. :)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with you with the band and brand . I will stick with WF. Thanks a lot. :)

You're very welcome, glad I could help. :cool2:

Once it's all done, please be sure to come back and share some pics. Everyone here loves to see a little bling...okay, okay...LOTS of bling. :mrgreen2:

sanpreet

Rough_Rock
Hands down WF. The stone is better.

Take a peek at the IS image of the JA stone. Notice the black and white on the left side? That should all be red. This tells us it’s not performing to its optimal ability. Also the symmetry looks off on the arrows of the stone. The hearts looks pretty decent but isn’t as tightly cut as the WF stone. The computer generated ASET also shows an irregular pattern of blue.

Obviously it wasn’t a total dud as it still got 000. I do like the proportions of the stone but I am not a fan of this particular stone because of the reasons already stated.

It is a few hundred bucks cheaper than the WF stone so at least the lesser performance is receiving a discount. However I think the simplicity and flexibility of the WF trade program more than makes up for that difference. With WF, spend $1 more and do what you want. With JA you have to spend 2x the original value each time you upgrade.

I personally like the thinner setting at WF better. Visually it will make the center stone appear larger than the wider JA setting.

With either vendor, you need to have them color match the melee (side stones) so they match your center stone. I think both were G/H in color, which would make your melee whiter than your center. Also smaller stones can shown even more white than their stated color making this step even more important IMO.

Speaking of melee, WF uses H&A melee to further compliment your H&A center stone.

F013AC77-7F39-4C95-BB18-FE1B1ECA3634.jpeg
4E932DD3-6FD9-400A-83FD-9EFC9EDF276B.jpeg
7795AE9D-353B-4A44-8392-10FBCCF438FD.jpeg

Thank you again for pointing out side vs centre stone color. I emailed WF and they sent me pics of wedding band w F/G stones and solitaire with J. I will post a pic bellow. It's a pic where woman is wearing band and solitaire on her hand. Screenshot_20210420-105402_Gmail.jpg

Another thing they mentioned that most people feel that ACA J or even K is nice and bright white in a white metal. I am considering going size up for few hundred bucks. I have looked at two stones that I need to figure out which one is better. I also asked them for exact diamond pics for these two stones. Hopefully they will send me soon.

I am attaching J and K color stone from WF site with comparison. can you please help me differentiate?

Sharan Capture1.PNG Capture 2.PNG Screenshot_20210420-105417_Gmail.jpg

sanpreet

Rough_Rock
I’m no expert so can’t make any suggestions on the technical aspect. However, just wanted to chime in that for myself personally, I’d notice the difference in the tint between H and J. I prefer my diamond white but that’s a personal preference. Also, I‘ve never got a setting from WF. I wonder if they can use warmer color diamonds in the setting if you decide to go with a J center. The description said the setting is made with F/G stones so you may see that the setting may look a bit whiter than your center stone at certain angles (I found that smaller stones look a little whiter than a larger stone of the same color). Just something to consider.

Noted. Thank you.

I have asked WF about it. They sent me a pic with wedding band w F/G and solitaire J stone to compare colors Screenshot_20210420-105417_Gmail.jpg

sanpreet

Rough_Rock
You're very welcome, glad I could help. :cool2:

Once it's all done, please be sure to come back and share some pics. Everyone here loves to see a little bling...okay, okay...LOTS of bling. :mrgreen2:

I will post it here for sure. Thank you to you all for help me maximizing carat size by adjusting the settings. I would have blindly bought 0.5 H Vs2 otherwise. So glad to be able to find this group. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results