shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide if I should get a Holiday job

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
I am a law student with one semester left. I am trying to decide whether I should get a seasonal retail position during my winter break. I''d be able to work about 6 weeks or so. I already have an interview at a high end store in a really fancy area. I was thinking that it would be a great way to make a little money since I would probably just be sitting around at home during my time off from school. It would not be full time, but definitely on weekends since that''s when they''re busiest. For some reason I''m really struggling with the decision--I''m doing a cost benefit analysis. Here are my pros and cons

Pros:
-Extra cash for the holidays, or to pay for books et al. next semester
-Employee discount
-It would keep me busy so I wouldn''t get bored
-The store keeps everything in display cases-- this equates to less clean up (I''ve worked with clothing before and it''s an ordeal)
-The store closes earlier than other stores around it-- this means that I would never have to work very late
-Part Time hours-- I''d still have a little time for myself

Cons:
-Would have to work weekends, might affect family time
-Would probably have to work during the day on Dec. 24, 26, and New Year''s Eve
-a 30-35 minute commute, I also have to pay toll to cross a bridge.
-Maybe I should be spending my free time doing things that will advance my future career, e.g. studying, looking for internships for the Spring etc.

I don''t know what the pay is yet, but I''m guessing I might take home a couple thousand dollars for 4-6 weeks of work. That''s a decent chunk of cash, especially for a starving student. The thing I''m trying to decide is whether or not that extra money is worth potentially missing time with my family and friends. The problem with retail is that everything happens on the weekend, and you are forced to work on pre-holiday days. My plan is to go to the interview to get a feel for the place and find out about the pay and hours. Then decide if its worth it.

Am I making this decision harder than it has to be?
33.gif
What would you do?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey, no way would I work retail during the holiday season unless I absolutely WAS a starving student. Simply stated, working in retail sounds like it would be a nightmare and unless the job paid GREAT money, seems like it''d be better for you to enjoy your last bit of free time before heading into a career position.

Can you find out if the job is commission or just an hourly wage? That would make a big difference, as well. A relative of mine works at a high-end retailer and makes 8% commission, but she had to move back in with her mom because she spends ALL her paycheck on clothes. lol! Another thing to consider. Do you have self control and can you avoid shopping while working?
2.gif
That discount will be tempting.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t do until unless I absolutely HAD too. that is just an insane time of year and although the money is decent, the hours aren''t worth the time away from family and friends and being a temp. position you are going to get the worst hours. I would look for something closer to home that wouldn''t be such a commute or commitment. When I was in grad. school i used to nanny. people love finding older gals to watch their kids, maybe you could do something like that and offer to babysit while mom''s were christmas shopping for extra cash, if you like kids of course.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I say go for it since you need the cash. I am sure that your family and friends will understand. I sub-contract my paralegal work to two other bankruptcy attorneys in the area and I get paid very well - even though it means sometimes working until 7pm during the week and from 9am till noon or later on Saturdays. I''m saving the money for the holiday season and also just for the sake of saving.

~Jess~

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to do the interview on Friday so I can learn more about the job. As of now I'm still 50/50. I'm not desparate for cash, but it would be great to have it. RIght now I'm living off student loans plus some assistance from my family. I'm all for hard work to earn and save money. On the other hand, there are some things that money can't buy-- like lost time. Which is why I want to see if the job would have a bad effect on my "vacation" from school and if it's worth it. I have to weigh what I will gain against what I will lose.

Maybe the hours and pay will be good and I can have the best of both worlds... I'll find out on Friday.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter is in university. She took on a low pressure retail job so she could save up to travel. I think if you make it goal oriented, it might be worthwhile, as long as it is low pressure. You have plenty of pressure with school. If you are going to be spending a lot of time doing nothing otherwise, why not make some extra cash to fund something you need or want? Not everything has to be career oriented. Six weeks of seasonal employment is just a means to an end.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results