shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose what to spend my bling budget on..

What should I spend my bling budget on? One Big item or a few smaller ones?

• 1. One large purchase, namely an e ring reset into a 5 stone using BGD.

Votes: 29 90.6%
  • 2. Several smaller purchases, a pendant, a 32 inch DBTY necklace and some jackets for my earrings.

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
So my awesome hubby has given me an unexpected bling budget to spend. :appl:

Immediately my mind went straight to a reset of my engagement ring. I have recently been thinking of resetting it into a 5 stone, going for maximum bling effect. When I told him what I was thinking he was surprised that I wanted to spend the whole lot on one thing.

There are (of course!) a few other items that I want and hope to one day buy as well.

A Pendant (.75-80ct)

A DBTY about 32 inches long.

Jackets for my 1.24ct studs.

A new wedding band (maybe, that was a bit of an after thought).

So... Am I crazy for wanting to spend the whole lot on a major reset or should I buy a few smaller things so I have more to enjoy?

FYI my e ring is a 1.05ct round in a boring 6 prong solitaire. I'm not wearing a wedding band ATM because I lost 2 of the stones and apparently another 13 are loose. :-o

My e ring and studs are the main pieces I own. I also have a platinum band I wear as a RHR that's channel set with princess cuts.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Heh, I had this exact dilemma two years ago when I got my pendant. I opted for the one-big-thing option, 'cause I like collecting, and it would almost take the fun out of things to get a bunch of items all at once. I like to look at each one and remember it's significance, like a strung-out memory bracelet ... Plus, it stretches out the fun. I vote reset!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like a three stone ring for a 1 carat stone. I think a 5 stone with a 1 carat center is going to make it look more like a wedding band, personally. But I probably would use it to get my wedding set like I wanted it.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Major reset - from the description you gave in your post about your e ring being boring, I wonder if this might be the most exciting project for you.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1320762060|3056814 said:
I really like a three stone ring for a 1 carat stone. I think a 5 stone with a 1 carat center is going to make it look more like a wedding band, personally. But I probably would use it to get my wedding set like I wanted it.

Originally, it was going to be a 3 stone but I tried a few on the other week and to get the finger coverage (and bling) I want it would be well over the budget I have. (the price jump from .40s to .50's is pretty big). The 5 stone will give me more finger coverage and tcw for the amount I have to spend.

I know a 5 stone would look more like a wedding band but I think I am ok with that. It would become my e ring and wedding band combined as a stand alone ring.

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I vote "one big thing." I tend to prefer to have one really special, amazing piece than several other nice, but not amazing pieces.

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
hawaiianorangetree said:
Immediately my mind went straight to a reset of my engagement ring.

Then this is what you should do! It is what you really want, and it puts the bling on your hand where you can see and enjoy it (instead of on your ears/neck).

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I would go for the 5 stone! It would give you the extra bling and finger coverage you're looking for, and you'd get to enjoy it all the time when you look down and see it on your finger. And I think it would look great as a stand-alone ring - I think that is such an elegant, classy look. (and actually, you could always wear a plain band beside it, that's a pretty look as well)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tanzigrrl|1320763920|3056840 said:
I vote "one big thing." I tend to prefer to have one really special, amazing piece than several other nice, but not amazing pieces.

Ditto!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for the 1 big thing, because a) it sounds like you thought about it alot, and it's something that you really want and would solve the "boring" ering setting and the problematic wedding band problem, and
b) you may have money for smaller projects along the way but if you wait you may not have the monies/chance for 1 big thing later on down the road.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
LittleRiver|1320773605|3057007 said:
hawaiianorangetree said:
Immediately my mind went straight to a reset of my engagement ring.

Then this is what you should do! It is what you really want, and it puts the bling on your hand where you can see and enjoy it (instead of on your ears/neck).

exactly my thoughts. Until your huby questioned you choice- this was it all the way. If he hadn't of suggested multiple items instead, you most likely would have jumped on the reset without looking back.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
hawaiianorangetree|1320763770|3056837 said:
diamondseeker2006|1320762060|3056814 said:

Originally, it was going to be a 3 stone but I tried a few on the other week and to get the finger coverage (and bling) I want it would be well over the budget I have. (the price jump from .40s to .50's is pretty big). The 5 stone will give me more finger coverage and tcw for the amount I have to spend.

I know a 5 stone would look more like a wedding band but I think I am ok with that. It would become my e ring and wedding band combined as a stand alone ring.

hmm, just a thought- but would you consider using your earrings for the 3 stone ring- and then use your budget to get .4 ct each earrings? or are you too attached to the size for earrings?

another thought- if the earrings have a trade in policy- could you trade in and get smaller - like .5 ct stones and use those for a 3 stone ring, and then with the remainging credit from the trade in and the budget you have get something close to .5 ct each for the earrings??

just ideas...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you set your ring into a three stone instead, would you have $ left for a small project too? That's what I'd do :)) Maybe go for the jackets if you wear your studs often. Just my opinion, but even though DBTY are cute, they are a pain b/c it'd hard to find one that doesn't flip all over. I have a diamond one and also an amethyst one. The diamond one flips, the amethyst doesn't. I just lucked out with the latter of the two!

Have fun with whatever you decide!

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Guys! I'm glad the vote swings towards spending it on one thing and I agree with what everyone has said.

I can't use my earrings in the reset as they are I colour and my e ring is an F. Would you believe that what I paid for my .60 I's will only get me the .40 F's in a trade in? (which is what I am looking at). I may as well keep them as they are.

Thanks again!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
You've already decided, but I voted one big thing too.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
hawaiianorangetree|1320794785|3057316 said:
Thanks Guys! I'm glad the vote swings towards spending it on one thing and I agree with what everyone has said.

I can't use my earrings in the reset as they are I colour and my e ring is an F. Would you believe that what I paid for my .60 I's will only get me the .40 F's in a trade in? (which is what I am looking at). I may as well keep them as they are.

Thanks again!

I actually took earrings and made them into a three stone; my stones have a similar color spread. The center one is an E and the sides are Hs. I think the color difference is minimal, to be honest. You should put the stones together, if you can, to see if the difference is too obvious to you.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Logan that was the first thing I did when I got my earrings last year. :D Unfortunately they are noticeably warmer when next to my e ring. It is a shame, but then again it's not, because they look great in my ears. :naughty:

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
hawaiianorangetree|1320802125|3057403 said:
Logan that was the first thing I did when I got my earrings last year. :D Unfortunately they are noticeably warmer when next to my e ring. It is a shame, but then again it's not, because they look great in my ears. :naughty:

Bummer! At least it saves you some earrings...I still haven't replaced mine and it's been 6 years.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results