shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose the best diamond for my girl!!

Jeffers8888

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I've been lurking on this forum for quite a few months now as it's such a good resource. So glad I found it, I am not very sophisticated buyer but I need to make a decision on a diamond this week as I'll be proposing to my girlfriend in January.

Budget

USD $10,500k including setting so diamond budget approx $9,000-9,500. The setting will be platinum solitaire and still undecided on the exact design.

I've found two options on JA and BGD which I quite like, one has florescence which I don't have an issue and the other is a H&A from JA.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.482-i-si1-round-diamond-ags-bl-104083536002#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/1/

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.40-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-762215

The key thing I'm looking for is to get best value without a normal person who isn't trained being able to see any issues, based on the threads I've read here SI1 and H/I colour with an ideal cut seems to be the right place to be unless you're an expert and can see the differences.

Would appreciate your views on which is best.

Thanks!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would take the BGD in a heartbeat. The JA stone is also nice. I assumed you asked if it's eye-clean? Looks like the only thing
the JA stones gets you over the BGD is a higher color. Have you seen well cut "I" colored stones before? I know JA is not doing
them right now (due to xmas rush), but I would want an aset on the JA stone. It's probably fine but I* would just want to see
one to check on leakage under the table.

Do you know if you/she is sensitive to color?

Jeffers8888

Rough_Rock
Hi Tyty,

Thanks for the reply, I haven't compared an I color to an H / G diamond and I'm not in a good location to do so either hence me asking for everyone's help.

Will the florescence in the BGD help with improve the color?

This would be the first big diamond my GF has been given so I don't think she'll be too sensitive to the color, just don't want it to be obviously yellow........

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the BGD I with fluorescence will be a stunner! The JA could be very nice too, but like tyty I would want to make sure and see an IS or ASET as this is no small purchase.

What setting are you thinking about?

Jeffers8888

Rough_Rock
Hi JDDN,

Not finalised the exact setting yet but will likely be a platinum solitaire, having reviewed the two I see your point, I am paying for a slightly better colour with JA but a smaller stone.

I will ask JA if they can provide an IS or ASET.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From recent posters, I believe JA is not providing IS or ASET images until or after January due to the holidays. So that's a bummer.

When I clicked on the BGD link it said the stone was not available. So either it's been sold or you put it on hold :)) .

Are there any settings you like at either BGD or JA? Sometimes people will choose between 2 diamonds based on which vendor's settings they like better since it's easier to have the stone set with the same vendor.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Melanie is a gorgeous setting. I may be a bit biased because I have the Melissa bookmarked as a favorite!

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
I too like the diamond from BG

Jeffers8888

Rough_Rock
Thanks Both,

Unfortunately it took two days for BGD to respond and in the meantime is was sold. Pretty disappointed......

They have suggested two alternatives but neither seem as good as the original I was looking at with one being over budget also.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.468-i-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104083536028

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/d iamond-details/1.428-j-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104083536027

I am continuing to look on JA but the I do have some doubts about the GIA lab reports as I don't think excellent is as good as AGS ideal from what I've read here.

RLS250293

Rough_Rock
Its a shame that first one you posted has sold. :wall:

I am interested to ask you, what is it about platinum that draws you in? Is it because your future finance has asked for it or you know this is what she likes? would she be willing to compromise? I always favoured platinum, it sound more luxurious, is slightly rarer and is obviously more expensive.
Platinum is less hard wearing that 18t white gold and becomes easily dented and softened, among other things.. if you decided to change to the 18ct white gold, an even better quality diamond could be afforded? Just something to consider..

But your looking at all the right things and if my boyfriend was as proactive as you, id be very pleased :angel:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results