shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose my cake!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
I think I''m burned out on decision-making!

It''s looking like we''ll be going with our caterer for the wedding cake. While this probably isn''t the greatest decision in the world, I don''t have the time or energy to find another baker at this point. And I am getting to the point where I couldn''t care less about the flavors.

I want our cake to look like this photo, only with fewer pears and flowers so it''s less busy.

What flavors should I pick? I was thinking of almond with raspberry filling and italian buttercream frosting. Should I pick a second or third choice? If so, what? I don''t want chocolate cause at our tasting it was kind of dry.

Here are the choices:

standard cake flavors: white, yellow, chocolate, lemon, marble, spice, carrot
specialty cake flavors: orange, strawberry, banana, coconut, espresso, almond, hazelnut, chocolate mint, butter pecan, red velvet

basic filling flavors: vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, raspberry, lemon
specialty filling flavors: orange, lime, blueberry, mango, passion fruit, white chocolate, coconut, cappucino, mocha, hazelnut, caramel, peanut butter, mint

Should I have them cover it in fondant? They said they can do the italian buttercream underneath the fondant if I want to.

cakepicture3456.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i love the look of fondant cakes, so yeh if they can make it tastier i'd go for it.
i would pick butter pecan with chocolate as the other flavor. YUM!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Although I''m a nut lover, I wouldn''t pick anything with nut oils, or nuts for a large gathering. There are a LOT of people with serious nut allergies.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2008 11:13:13 AM
Author: purrfectpear
Although I'm a nut lover, I wouldn't pick anything with nut oils, or nuts for a large gathering. There are a LOT of people with serious nut allergies.
I'm thinking it'd be a good idea to consider purrfectpear's point and go sans nuts.

I think if I was to mix'n'match flavours, I'd probably go with one of these combos:

red velvet cake with vanilla icing (unless they secretly have cream cheese buttercream, mmmmmm)
espresso cake with white chocolate icing
white cake with mocha icing
lemon cake with raspberry icing

Normally I would have carrot cake up there because it is my fave but without the cream cheese icing, it would be a no-go for me. Gotta have the cream cheese icing!

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Seriously?

I know 90% of my guests for sure don''t have nut allergies...and I''m thinking anyone who does would know not to eat the "almond cake". I should really change my menu in the case that the 8 people I don''t know may have an allergy?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2008 11:32:39 AM
Author: basil
Seriously?

I know 90% of my guests for sure don''t have nut allergies...and I''m thinking anyone who does would know not to eat the ''almond cake''. I should really change my menu in the case that the 8 people I don''t know may have an allergy?

no.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/1/2008 11:35:18 AM
Author: jcrow

Seriously?

I know 90% of my guests for sure don''t have nut allergies...and I''m thinking anyone who does would know not to eat the ''almond cake''. I should really change my menu in the case that the 8 people I don''t know may have an allergy?

no.

Phew!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2008 11:35:18 AM
Author: jcrow

Seriously?

no.
Hey, you asked for our opinions; we''re giving them to you.
2.gif
Besides, if you get the two cakes both of you mentioned, you won''t have a nut-free cake, since you''ll have almond and pecan.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe not, but you must make sure people know the ingredients.

That cake you posted is stunning.

I like exotic things like coconut, mango, passion fruit...that is what I love, esp in the spring or summer.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Seriously?

I know 90% of my guests for sure don't have nut allergies...and I'm thinking anyone who does would know not to eat the 'almond cake'. I should really change my menu in the case that the 8 people I don't know may have an allergy?

That's up to you. I'd play it on the safe side (I have food allergies), but if you love the almond cake, make sure it's labeled so someone allergic doesn't eat a piece without thinking.

I'd personally go with...

-White cake, strawberry or raspberry filling (I had white cake with fresh strawberries and cream filling, and guests RAVED. Sometimes, the simpler, the better.)
-White cake, caramel or mocha filling (YUM.)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Buttercream will be cheaper than fondant. And it doesn''t taste like ick.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Freke, would you recommend fondant over italian buttercream for the look, or do you think it will look fine with just the italian buttercream?

The price difference is negligible...about $40.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I love that cake - the pears are so pretty - are they being made in marzipan?

Can''t help on flavours as we don''t have the choice of cake that you guys do, so I''ve never tasted any of them - but they sound yummy!

On the nut thing, my cake is covered in marzipan and full of nuts, but 99% of UK wedding cakes have them so nut allergy people know to avoid them!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like you know your guests so not a big deal.

I was just picturing the typical wedding of 200 guests where half of them are friends of the parents.

ponderer

Shiny_Rock
If the price is only $40, I would say to go with the fondant, if that is the look you want. Buttercream and fondant have two completely different looks, and while fondant is not the greatest , most people just eat around it.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Basil,

Buttercream can be smoothed out to look like fondant. I've attached a picture of my wedding cake, which was covered in smoothed vanilla buttercream. It might have had a few "variations", but I think it looked great, and the guests didn't have to eat around anything.

ebreecake2.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup-I personally would not go for fondant, because I don''t like it, and I don''t know anyone who does, so it''s a visual thing mostly, but as EBree''s pic shows, you can get a very similar look with just the buttercream.

(If you do any raspberry fillings make sure and get it without seeds-it''ll cost more, but no one likes to pick raspberry seeds out of their teeth.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results