shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose between two 3-ct antique cushions please!

rockyjack

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am looking at a couple antique cushions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vApL6Y1YMms&feature=related

Was curious if anyone has any thoughts on which one you would choose?
The one on the left is a 3.13ct H/VS2 and the one on the right is a 3.30ct G/SI1
They face up to be very similar sizes -- the G/SI1 is a touch longer (about .05mm). There is clearly a little bit of a cloud in the center of the G/SI1 that shows up on the zoomed-in video, but I have a hard time seeing it. The jeweler noted he could see it from a few inches away without loupe-ing it, once he'd seen it under a loupe. Please disregard price. Can anyone tell from the video which one is a better diamond?

In case you want specs:
3.13 H/VS2
Excellent polish
VG symmetry
50% table
66.3% depth
8.89x8.57x5.68

3.30 G/SI1
Excellent polish
VG symmetry
52% table
67.8% depth
8.94x8.57x5.81

Thanks!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
They both look like beautiful cuts to me, but that cloud in the center of the one stone would turn me off from that one. So, I'd opt for the 3.13.

What are you going to do with the stone once you have it? :naughty:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yeah I would pick the VS, I think the inclusion would bother me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh those are gorgeous!!!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

I also pick the VS stone. And it is great that the 3.13 faces up at almost the same size as the 3.3!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would go for the VS2 as well, the facets look a little more active to my eye, in addition to the clarity.

If you pass on some feedback, perhaps mention that a video with the stones facing the camera and moving back and forth would be more useful than one where they spin 360 degrees. There was no enough face time for me to really compare the two stones! But the backs/bottoms looked pretty :cheeky:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ack. Okay, that video thoroughly annoyed me - the beginning and end are shaky and they're the only parts where you get any sort of face-up view, half the video is the sides & back which honestly I doubt potential customers are the least bit interested in, and the nondescript background gives us no clues about windowing/leakage ;( Why can't everyone shoot like GOG?!

Okay, besides the griping, I can't tell anything at all about what those stones would look like or how they would perform in various types of lighting from that, but if one is eyeclean to your requirements, whatever they are, and the other is not, that settles it. But - I would honestly not buy anything without requesting at least another video of face-up and crown tilt views, this time on a bright red cloth or paper.

Or, best option, have them both shipped out to a local appraiser and check them out in-person.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie I got the impression the OP has seen them in person?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1304817634|2915199 said:
Yssie I got the impression the OP has seen them in person?

Oh, I did not get that impression! In that case OP, just trust your eyes - go back and take a second look if you can, look at the stones again in various types of lights, clean and dirty.. they are much better informed to make this decision than we are!

rockyjack

Rough_Rock
Wow I did not realize people would respond so quickly! Thank you for your thoughts.

I have seen both of them in person. Unfortunately, I am hardly any sort of diamond expert and do not have much of an eye, so I don't trust my thoughts. But here they are:
Color:
I tried looking at them under several different lights, and what I found was that when looking at the fronts of the G/SI1 and the H/VS2, I could not notice a color difference. However, when I looked at the backs, I did notice a very slight difference in the yellowish tinge.

Size:
Virtually the same size, but the 3.30ct G/SI1 also looked just a smidge larger because of the longer edge.

Clarity:
I could not visualize the inclusions, because of the sparkles / flashes / etc. When louped, it was immediately obvious. but otherwise I had trouble seeing anything. However, the jeweler I was with did note that he could see them from close up, particularly after seeing them under a loupe first. I guess my question is -- what is the definition of "eye-clean". Does it mean, no one can see them when they have the diamond 5 inches from their eye? Or does it mean, the average untrained eye cannot see them from 3 feet away?

Brilliance:
To my untrained eye, they appeared very similar. However, the G/SI1 had slightly bigger flashes (I think that's called fire?). It appeared like the faceting was maybe slightly broader or something, whereas the same flashes looked like they were coming from smaller facets in the H/VS2. I don't know if that makes sense at all?

Thanks again for your thoughts!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In stones that large, I'd be much more inclined to go with VS2. Definitions of eyeclean will vary, but I wouldn't want to be able to see inclusions from any distance with the eyes.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rockyjack|1304824160|2915258 said:
Wow I did not realize people would respond so quickly! Thank you for your thoughts.

I have seen both of them in person. Unfortunately, I am hardly any sort of diamond expert and do not have much of an eye, so I don't trust my thoughts. But here they are:
Color:
I tried looking at them under several different lights, and what I found was that when looking at the fronts of the G/SI1 and the H/VS2, I could not notice a color difference. However, when I looked at the backs, I did notice a very slight difference in the yellowish tinge.

Depending on how you're going to set the stone this may or may not concern you - a setting that leaves the pavilion very open to view will let you see more of the tint than a setting like a bezel or halo that has more coverage.. this is really only a concern for you, the wearer, though, you don't need to worry about casual observers & admirers seeing the tint :))

Size:
Virtually the same size, but the 3.30ct G/SI1 also looked just a smidge larger because of the longer edge.

Makes sense

Clarity:
I could not visualize the inclusions, because of the sparkles / flashes / etc. When louped, it was immediately obvious. but otherwise I had trouble seeing anything. However, the jeweler I was with did note that he could see them from close up, particularly after seeing them under a loupe first. I guess my question is -- what is the definition of "eye-clean". Does it mean, no one can see them when they have the diamond 5 inches from their eye? Or does it mean, the average untrained eye cannot see them from 3 feet away?

Different vendors have different definitions for "eyeclean" - usually something like clean from 8-12" face-up w/ 20/20 vision in most lighting types, but ultimately it means whatever it means to you. You get to decide on what clarity is acceptable for you - do you not want to be able to see any inclusions from face up or through the crown - ever? If so it doesn't sound like the SI is a good fit for you. If you just want clean from face-up from say 10" it sounds like either can work.

Brilliance:
To my untrained eye, they appeared very similar. However, the G/SI1 had slightly bigger flashes (I think that's called fire?). It appeared like the faceting was maybe slightly broader or something, whereas the same flashes looked like they were coming from smaller facets in the H/VS2. I don't know if that makes sense at all?

Also makes sense - bigger facets permit bigger, more powerful flashes, but there'll be fewer of them. At the other extreme small facets means you'll see lots of fast but small twinkles, and less colour. Which "type" of light return you prefer depends entirely on you - one isn't better, objectively, than the other.. Generally when we say "fire" on PS we mean coloured light output, and larger facets will also allow for more colour in some lighting types, but the differences can be incredibly subtle - if you saw both stones by themselves, not side by side, you very well might not note any difference whatsoever!

I have to say that I'm partial to the larger open culet, but I definitely think having a stone that is clean to your requirements is a far more important criterion.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results