shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose between 2 RBs -- GIA reports attached

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
I'm a longtime lurker who finally has a reason to post! :wavey:

After months of searching, yesterday I found 2 stones that meet all of my specs and fall within my FF's budget. My FF put both stones on hold so that I could run them by the wise ladies of PS. What do you think? We are really hoping that one of these is a winner since we are set on buying a diamond from Canada and inventory is very limited. Thanks in advance!!

Btw, the stone will be set in MWM's Petite Torchiere. I was able to try on the Flame at GOG, and we were both blown away by Mark's work! We knew we had to have it!!

Stone 1: 0.97 F SI2 [confirmed by vendor to be eye-clean] HCA 5.3
Concerns: High HCA score.

Stone 2: 1.04 H SI2 [confirmed by vendor to be eye-clean] HCA 1.6
Concerns: "Additional twining wisps are not shown. Surface graining is not shown."

Attachments

• LittleRiverStone1.pdf
    153.9 KB · Views: 73
  • LittleRiverStone2.pdf
    160.3 KB · Views: 39

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, here are the GIA reports!! Still learning how to post.

LittleRiverStone1jpg.jpg

LittleRiverStone2jpg.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you post the GIA report number? The first report is not too clear. But as it stands now, that is a no for me. #2 is a better bet.

If it is eye-clean, I would not be concern with the comments, as long as none of those are grade setting.

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
Stone-cold11, thanks for the feedback!! Unfortunately I don't have the report number for Stone 1. How can I tell if the inclusions in Stone 2 are grade setting?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it is grade setting, the comment will be something like grade setting twinning wisp not shown. It is not stated as such so no worries there.

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
The second stone is worth further investigation. Can you request an idealscope image?

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Stone-cold11 and crbl999. I am going to ask the vendor for an idealscope image for Stone 2 (no idea if it is available). Anything else I should ask about?

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
Update: The vendor does not have idealscope images. I am wondering whether it makes sense to buy the stone and have it shipped to a local appraiser where we can see it in person. I have seen David Wolf in NYC recommended here. Would he be able to provide idealscope images? Switching to another vendor is not really an option since we are looking for a Canadian diamond. Thanks again to those who chimed in for the helpful feedback.

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
nfowife, I had no idea GOG carried laser-inscripted Canadian diamonds! That is good to know, although they don't seem to have what we are looking for as of now (Ex cut / color H or better / SI2 or better / 0.95-1.1 ct, price around $7500). I will definitely keep an eye on their inventory.

Anyone think it is worth seeing Stone 2 in person? What are the chances it will be a dud, given the grading report?

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
Well, the hold on the stones expires today. We are thinking about pulling the trigger on #2 and having it sent to an appraiser here in NYC. So, I guess my question is, would you buy this stone without an idealscope image?

Here are the specs again:

1.04 H SI2 [confirmed by vendor to be eyeclean] GIA Ex
Measurements: 6.49 x 6.52 x 4.03 mm
Polish: Ex
Symmetry: Ex
Flourescence: Faint

Table: 55%
Depth: 61.9%
Crown Ang: 35.0
Pavillion Ang: 40.8
Culet: None
Girdle: 3.5% Medium to Slightly Thick (faceted)
HCA: 1.6

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I can't comment on the one you are looking at, but the I/Si2 from GOG is one to consider, IMO. The strong blue fluorescence will help it appear whiter face-up, it appears to be eye clean, and with all the info from GOG you know that you are getting a top performer. And it is well under your budget. I'd say it is an excellent value.
Best of luck.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results