shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose a Vintage Cushion!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Her gorgeous AVC is over 5 cts! I have had the pleasure of seeing that one and trying it on!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dolly is 100% right about shape being purely personal preference. I do like many shapes in the antique cushions, but the CACs and AVCs generally aren't overly elongated. M2b's AVC is a good example. I'd take that one anyday (or it's baby sister, more likely!)!!!

But the thing that is not in question is that very few modern cushions or even other antique style cushions are going to even come close to the light return (as shown by an ASET image) of an ideal cut antique cushion such as an AVC or CAC. Many (or most) modern cushions and ovals, for example, are kind of blah in the light return department. I want my stones to show up from a distance. I enjoy seeing my perfectly cut diamond in big stores with halogen lighting like I never did with my first diamond.

pinn

Rough_Rock
I know Good Old Gold has at least one video comparing different kinds of cushions including the average not-so-nice modern faceted cushion, well cut modern faceted cushions similar to the 8 main you picked out, a hearts and arrows cushion and an AVC. I can't remember if they also include an unbranded antique cushion. Anyway it's worth watching if you're still undecided on a facet type but won't get a chance to compare them all in person. I'll post the link if I can find it.

If you do like the antique type but don't want to increase price or decrease in carat or color you might be able to find a decent unbranded one although I hear they're like a needle in a haystack. Looking at some of their platinum select vintage cushions on GOG's site, it seems based on photos/asets that some look very close to AVCs but lots aren't (too much obstruction etc). It might be worth seeing if there are any generic antique cushions on the market that fit your criteria just in case you find something close to an AVC or CAC but at a slightly better price point. Maybe contact both GOG and IDJ to see what's out there

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Light return = a person's opinion of how a diamond looks.
Max light return = mirror. Of course we don't want our diamonds to look like mirrors- we want scintillation, contrast, patterns.
SO_ using someone else's idea of what's the "best" light return is like asking what's their favorite flavor of ice cream.
The answer would only really apply to the person eating it.
Someone else's favorite might not be yours.
Then we have the situation where advertising claims of sellers attempt to raise "light return" to some sort of consistent, quantifiable scientific quantity. If a seller is claiming " our stones have better light return than other stones" they're only saying they like the patterns and style of reflections of the type of stone they are pushing.
Clearly a modern cushion and an antique style "chunky" cushion have different sorts of light return.
But as much as sellers may try to claim one is "better" than another, it's a matter of personal taste.

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1481637380|4106846 said:
Dolly is 100% right about shape being purely personal preference. I do like many shapes in the antique cushions, but the CACs and AVCs generally aren't overly elongated. M2b's AVC is a good example. I'd take that one anyday (or it's baby sister, more likely!)!!!

But the thing that is not in question is that very few modern cushions or even other antique style cushions are going to even come close to the light return (as shown by an ASET image) of an ideal cut antique cushion such as an AVC or CAC. Many (or most) modern cushions and ovals, for example, are kind of blah in the light return department. I want my stones to show up from a distance. I enjoy seeing my perfectly cut diamond in big stores with halogen lighting like I never did with my first diamond.

Ok I amend my comment- I prefer modern cushions because I want size. But if I could have M2B's AVC...YEA I WOLD PREFER THAT BABY TOO!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I'd have to agree with LLJ here.. I love flowery oecs.. but I love the outline of cushions more.. my latest acquisition is a basically if an Old european cut had a baby with an antique cushion. Flowery- beautiful and AMAZING light return for an antique diamond. Lots of red in the aset, hardly any green at all.

img_4211_0.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If yu have some patience, OP, it is truly worth taking time to find an antique cushion like ROL's stone. It is one of the most striking antique stones I've seen on PS, with an exquisite facet pattern, but what makes it extra special is the thrill of the hunt (for me) lololol, and its uniqueness and history.

Manlye

Rough_Rock
WOW that round is amazing!!!

pinn

Rough_Rock
I wonder if Good Old Gold or Victor Canera would custom cut a cushion with an OEC facet pattern. I saw one once posted on the show me your avc/avoec diamonds thread that someone purchased from GOG. That would be very unique!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results