shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose a gemstone!

LovingHubby

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
A total noob here. Wanted to seek some advice and perspectives. Am thinking of customizing a ring for my wife for our 20th Anniversary. It could also be something she can pass on to our daughter in future. I’m narrowing down to the following stones:

1) Diamond
2) Peridot (Her birthstone)
3) Spinel (also her birthstone)

Can I solicit some views and advice on what should I take into consideration when deciding between the three stones above. Any views is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask mods to move to colored stones

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
If I am not mistaken peridot is much, much softer than spine so you may want to go with spinel for daily wear.

LovingHubby

Rough_Rock
If I am not mistaken peridot is much, much softer than spine so you may want to go with spinel for daily wear.

Thanks for the reply! It’s a good point for consideration.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second Spinel for its hardness and suitability for daily wear.

Besides, personally, I am not keen on the types of green that are typical for Peridots.

Here is a screenshot of the different colours of Spinel as can be seen on Jeff White's Sold Gemstones gallery for Spinels. Hope it helps with your purchase.

The colour of Spinels can shift depending on lighting conditions. Therefore, it is worth taking this into consideration by requesting for photos in different lighting conditions within reasons.

Good luck with your purchase.

DK :))

LovingHubby

Rough_Rock
I second Spinel for its hardness and suitability for daily wear.

Besides, personally, I am not keen on the types of green that are typical for Peridots.

Here is a screenshot of the different colours of Spinel as can be seen on Jeff White's Sold Gemstones gallery for Spinels. Hope it helps with your purchase.

JW_Spinels.JPG

The colour of Spinels can shift depending on lighting conditions. Therefore, it is worth taking this into consideration by requesting for photos in different lighting conditions within reasons.

Good luck with your purchase.

Thank you. Didn’t realized there is such a wide spectrum of colors!

LovingHubby

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your comments. I’ve been checking out some spinels from a local jeweller but am so confused by the wide spectrum of prices. For example, I’ve been quoted a 2.54 ct Mahenge spinel around SGD5000 and 3.07ct Mahenge spinel with diamonds at SGD17,000. Can anyone share what factors to consider when looking at the price? Thanks

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Show us the photos first. If the Mahenge is top colour it is pricy. Cannot comment on the price without knowing the colour, cut, and clarity

LovingHubby

Rough_Rock
Thanks pwsg07,

BDACDD1B-4BC9-454B-99C0-835EFB12F69E.jpeg
This one is 3.06ct and the quote is SGD$16K

FC4D500E-B0DC-42B6-A69A-F8D36FBBCA68.jpeg

This one is 6.07ct and together with the diamonds, the quote is around SGD$18K.

48547F1E-C8A9-41E8-960C-2BA5C139ADC9.jpeg
This one is 3.57ct and was quoted SGD$12K

Am really confused. Appreciate any advice and comments. Thanks

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on the photos of the 3 stones, the smallest one has the best colour to me personally. It also looks the liveliest and the most sparkly of the three.

The other two look brown and dull to me.

In CS, colour is king, hence I believe that the reason why the smallest stone is the most expensive one out of the three.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
agree with @dk168 , i definitely prefer the smallest. are you looking for red though? or do you like pinkish or violet colors?

the middle one appears the most lifeless. id also make sure she'd want to wear a stone that large

the last one look "eh" to me

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
My vote is spinel, it's my favorite stone. The prices are based in tiny nuances in color. Red and blue in vibrant hues are the most precious. It can be very expensive and the color should reflect that. The good thing is that you can get most colors in the spectrum, some are relatively affordable.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am biased and totally in love with spinels. I have a 3 carat round pink spinel with lab report sitting in the jewelry box and an over 3 carat oval pink concave spinel with lab report keeping it company. If you are looking for something like this let me know. I bought them years ago when it was not as difficult to source nice spinels.

Also- have you considered chrysoberyl? They are lovely and have a Mohs hardness that is suitable for daily wear. I love them.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guys tbis is 3 years old I suspect they figured it out.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guys tbis is 3 years old I suspect they figured it out.

Oh my! Sometimes you just see a thread and don't expect it to be so old. Thanks for the cross check. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results